What the heck is a "ping?"

Coming to Taiwan soon and love all the info I’m getting.

What the heck is a “ping?”

Thanks.

[quote=“DirtGuy”]Coming to Taiwan soon and love all the info I’m getting.

Thanks.[/quote]3.30579 m

or the size of a tatami (sleeping) mat - 6 foot by 6 foot

I believe a ping is equivalent to the area of two tatamis.

And also remember -

Taiwan kilo = 600 grams, not 1000 grams

That’s not entirely right. A jin/taijin, normally translated (Taiwan) catty, is 600 grams, and a shijin (also catty) is 500 grams, but a gongjin which is the word for “kilo” is 1000 grams here as well.

That’s not entirely right. A jin/taijin, normally translated(Taiwan)catty, is 600 grams, and a shijin (also catty) is 500 grams, but a gongjin which is the word for “kilo” is 1000 grams here as well.[/quote]All well and good. I used to buy Chinese ginseng by the catty and it was, as indicated, usually 500 - 600 grams. Usually a little bit more.
In Tainan, the center of truly beautiful life on Taiwan,
I have yet to see a “kilo” as anything other than 600 grams - and thats after I smack their thumbs from the scale…de bu qi…de bu qi.

But I do not speak Chinese and my Taiwanese is limited to various terms relating to binlang, gao liang (which I abhor) and piejo (which I don’t).

Perhaps I should try the term you indicate, gongjin, and see what I get. Thanks!

Just think 1 ping = the size of a double bed (more or less)

1 catty (“jin” in Chinese) = a pound and a little bit more

Not too hard. Easier than us Yanks having to deal with kilos! :smiley: :blush:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”][quote=“DirtGuy”]Coming to Taiwan soon and love all the info I’m getting.

Thanks.[/quote]3.30579 m