What the hell is wrong with my bike?

Mystery solved! I was about to have my tyre changed anyway so I had my mechanic dismantle the whole rear wheel assembly and we discovered the rear suspension had been locked at near full compression. There IS a very slight lean to the left, but this is an inherent design flaw in the engine placement of a 200kg bike.

It seems that combined with the slightly worn tyre, zero give on suspension and an intermittent problem with the throttle cable, the back wheel had started to spin with nothing to grab onto until the back end swung out and found purchase on the unworn rubber.

It’s a great ride now, and my arse no longer feels raw after a 10km journey. I love this machine but I’m not entirely sure why… it’s old, it’s dirty, I paid too much for it and it feels like a brick outhouse on wheels. Some idiot rode straight through red lights into my side a few weeks back and bounced off cartoon-style. Then again, it’s super comfortable, doesn’t give two hoots if I stick an extra 12 stone guy on the back and manages a bazillion miles per gallon.

Glad you got it sorted, old son, also there’s a bit of perverse satisfaction in all of us being wrong…
And this:

Is one of the greatest things about being in Taiwan.
This happens to me about once a year, and it almost makes up for all the bad traffic experiences, I LURVE it…

Well technically, the gold star goes to whoever mentioned suspension because I wouldn’t have thought of asking about that otherwise.

Don’t know that it will solve the problem you’re talking about, but you should probably replace your fork fluid if they’re that stiff. Even money that most older bikes you find here are running with hydraulic fluid that has long since stopped doing anything useful for controlling the suspension. Shouldn’t cost much…

Hold the phones, Batman! It’s already sorted. Cheers!

I have always found increasing the number and variety of flashing lights at the rear solves all safety and handling related problems. BTW, when was the last time you had your Mishimaro sticker serviced?

[quote=“llary”]There IS a very slight lean to the left, but this is an inherent design flaw in the engine placement of a 200kg bike.[/quote]I don’t get this. Are you saying that your bike veers to the left because it weighs 200kg? Regardless, your bike leans to the left and that’s exactly what will make you kiss the pavement when you need to stop quickly or when the road is wet.

Get that fixed or you could wipe out again and it may not be as forgiving next time. A friendly advice that is.

bobepine

I wouldn’t say it ‘veers’ and I wouldn’t even say there’s an appreciable lean. If I go at a fair whack and let go of the handlebars it will always choose to lean very very slightly left rather than go straight ahead or veer in a random direction. shrug it just seems like a lot of weight imperfectly balanced. It’s not like I have to fight the thing to get it in any one direction and I’m 99% sure this was nothing to do with the recent spill.

[quote=“bobepine”]I don’t get this. Are you saying that your bike veers to the left because it weighs 200kg? Regardless, your bike leans to the left and that’s exactly what will make you kiss the pavement when you need to stop quickly or when the road is wet.

Get that fixed or you could wipe out again and it may not be as forgiving next time. A friendly advice that is.

bobepine[/quote]

mush, sounds to me like yer wheels are too round, get some square ones, I think you’ll find that’ll make yer bike much more stable.

There’s a fixture between the bars and where the fork splits to go over the tire called the headset. My first guess is that it’s loose. I’ve also seen it where one of the shocks has blown a seal and dumped its oil. When you load the front suspension, it loads unevenly and pulls on the bars in one direction every time.

I think you should try to go about 20km and take your hands off the bars to check the shocks, if it starts turning on its own, it’s either your shocks or the frame is bent (almost impossible to detect by looking at it) from a collision.

To check the headset, stand infront and face the bike. Put the front wheel between your feet and twist the bars with your hands… if the bars move and the wheel doesn’t turn I’d have that looked at.

Let the guy take it for a boot… if he knows his stuff, he’ll know what’s wrong.

Good luck