What to bring to Taiwan

Technically, that should be a “SSM”. The Javelin is quite nice, especially the soft-launch capability.

Now I understand why my comment regarding bringing small arms was deleted – it wasn’t political bias on the part of the moderator, it was censure for suggesting inadequate equipment. My sincere apologies; I am a product of my environment, which has regrettably comprised NFA34 and GCA68, depriving me of appropriate heavy weapons through essentially my entire lifetime.

Has the Javelin got Stinger technology built in? It’s got me beat why anyone even contemplates air conflict anymore with the Stinger out there.

Sorry about the abuse in the Oz terror thread the other day MPS. It was right at the end of a seriously shit day.

Proper western deoderant is often heard to be difficult to attain here. Particularly Old Spice. Now, for an entrepreneur… it’s an opportunity :smiley:

[/quote]

I have two sticks of “High Endurance” deodorant. One is “Fresh” and one is “Pure Sport”.

Let the bidding commence!

P.S. If you’re okay with a previously owned stick of deodorant, I also have a stick of “Arctic Force” if you’re interested.

Has the Javelin got Stinger technology built in? It’s got me beat why anyone even contemplates air conflict anymore with the Stinger out there.[/quote]
Given the lack of privately owned aircraft in Taiwan, I don’t understand why you are focusing on air threats. Unless you are worried about a CAL pilot dropping an icy B.M. (the dreaded “blue ice” from the lavatory) on you during landing, of course.

The Javelin is primarily an antitank weapon, which is much more what is needed here. Between the “soft launch” to make it easier on yourself and those around you, and the high-angle attack profile for avoidance of surrounding traffic, I believe it is ideal for most problems here. While you might be able to get a Stinger to track on a hot car engine, I doubt it would go after a scooter; the Javelin uses IR laser designation, IIRC, so that isn’t an issue.

However, after thinking about it, a LAW would be nearly as useful at the short ranges and relatively low armor levels here, and is considerably cheaper and easier to obtain. If the OP is in or near Florida, I can get him/her a source there.

Edited to add: Here is a video of a live-fire test of the Javelin against a Soviet T72.
aeronavlabs.com/JavelinLiveFire2.mpg

Pissedpookie - keep your deoderant. From what I’ve been reading elsewhere forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … highlight= sounds like you need all the help with your personal beautification routine that you can get. :wink:

MPS - I think we’ve incorrectly assumed that OP will be travelling to Taiwan with the standard ‘2-1’ luggage allowance (i.e. two containers for every month in Taiwan) that the rest of us generally bring here. If he/she is travelling light, then a few landmines, assault rifle and half a dozen mortars should be sufficient. I know you raised the prospect of small arms before, and for the life of me have no idea why your post was deleated. It strikes me as highly unusual that anyone should want to cover-up the fact there is civil war raging here as we speak, but this seems to be the norm for this forum. Come to Taiwan and teach English they say; come to Taiwan and study Chinese. No one says a damn thing about the fact if you get a job in buxiban here, you will probably spend more time teaching your kids hand-to-hand combat than English. No one says a damn thing about the 3-week SAS training that typically fronts-up your average Chinese language class. It’s here, we all know about it, but noone says a thing…

But Suesol, whatever you do, remember to bring a shovel. I know it’s seems obvious, but make a list, and put it up there at the top. You’ll thank me later.

If you are noise sensitive: real earplugs made of wax.

Taiwan is damned loud and I do not find those earplugs here.

[/img]

Technically, that should be a “SSM”. The Javelin is quite nice, especially the soft-launch capability.

Now I understand why my comment regarding bringing small arms was deleted – it wasn’t political bias on the part of the moderator, it was censure for suggesting inadequate equipment. My sincere apologies; I am a product of my environment, which has regrettably comprised NFA34 and GCA68, depriving me of appropriate heavy weapons through essentially my entire lifetime.[/quote]

Obviously some folks don’t understand squid culture, 1K beneath the sea.

A nice pair of steel toed boots is a must for putting cab drivers and liberals in their place.

And do some basic traffic training before coming here:

1. Ask your friends to drink a lot

2. Ask your friends to blindfold themselves

3. Ask your friends to take some drugs [OK OK, you can replace this part by repeating 1 again]

4. Chose suicidal friends [this should be 0., OK]

5. Make the windows of the cars of your friends really dark

6. Ask them to drive around and you WALK in between them.
    Avoid the sidewalk under all circumstances!

THEN and only THEN do you have about the same driving skills and road conditions as in Taiwan.

No, the drivers here are not drugged, they do not need drugs to achieve this level of Dada/Gaga driving.
:happybiker: