What to do if spouse is missing for years?

Yes and I gave the evidence to my lawyer. They clearly ignored my attempts to peaceful resolve this and only reply back blaming me which gets us nowhere.

One can do that? What kind of damages? Screwing up my life? Because they certainly did that.

Thanks, I really can’t wait for this all to be over.

Getting a court to award you damages doesn’t work the same way in Taiwan as in the US. Basically, they set the bar higher here.

1 Like

I guess your first priority is to get divorced as soon as possible. If to go on the offensive and sue them for damages helps to get divorced, it may be worth to try. If it lengthens the process, I wouldn’t try it even if there is a high possibility of a win.

1 Like

Just finished with my lawyer. Not sure how it went. Will explain later when I get back to my pc.

So the overall meeting started going well. She made it clear to me that we had a case and there wasn’t much my wife could do besides drag it out. In the end, I would get the divorce. Then suddenly she hit me with something that almost made me go crazy. She said because my wife’s address on the household registration wasn’t in Hsinchu, so she’s not sure if I need this case to be transferred to another locations laf and appointed a new lawyer. She said she wasn’t sure she could be my lawyer. I almost flipped but kept my cool. I waited all this time to meet with her so she could tell me she isn’t even sure she can take this case because the court might be outside of hsinchu. If laf really needed me to be transferred, why did they appoint me a lawyer in hsinchu? They saw my household registration already. Now I have to wait for two weeks while she makes a statement to the court and maybe during that time, I might here that I have to start over with another lawyer from somewhere else. :cold_sweat:

1 Like

it’s ok …chill . Things are moving forward now.

2 Likes

Probably for the court to decide if it’s a hindrance for your soon to be ex-wife to attend hearings. e.g. you move across country and file there for divorce. Just wait for their decision.

1 Like

Very sensible. :+1:

1 Like

Unfortunately as yyy pointed out, this isn’t an option. I can’t sue them for damages in Taiwan. Pretty much have no choice but to take this and keep waiting for months.

Luckily what my lawyer did tell me (and without giving too much info here) is that the court doesn’t care about my wife’s families silly accusations and will just focus on the fact she is unwilling to come home for so long and the marriage is broken beyond repair. There were other things regarding our strategy that I can’t post publicly but if anyone is interested I can share it after the case.

2 Likes

That must be great news. Keep going.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that is so true. You need something concrete, not just “they are being a bunch of cabrones”, which they are, indeed, but anyways the strenght of the facts is more than enough.

1 Like

It is completely unnecessary for them to be putting me through this right? Am I the only person who has ever had their spouse run off in an argument? Am I the only one in this country who made the mistake of telling her to get out before getting a divorce because I was angry? Doesn’t take a genius to figure out that they can just hide and refuse divorce to hurt someone. Especially if that person is a foreigner who wants to go home. I can’t believe I’ve been paying for this for 4 years. I’ve already offered them a peaceful way out and offered to meet and talk it over many times. The fact that they are making me go through all this trouble to chase them down is just weird and terrible behavior from their part. I don’t get why they don’t seem to care that their daughter is still married to me. Also really makes me feel uncomfortable and unsettling that this could take another few months. That would bring this to almost 4 1/2 years at best…maybe more. I expressed it to my lawyer that I need to return home but it seems she doesn’t have any way to expedite the case. Kind of curious what would happen if I did just go home. Who knows, maybe I can get a divorce faster in the states.

I know it’s really frustrating, but try to keep in mind that the finish line is in sight. Before, you thought you were at a dead end. Now you can see a clear path out. That’s pretty huge progress that you’ve made. Don’t quit now that you’re almost done.

You still have a long life ahead of you and plenty of time to get a proper fresh start. In the meantime, try to enjoy yourself. Spend time with friends, or take up a new hobby to help pass the time and take your mind off this. Get some exercise, vent some of your frustration physically. Take care of your mind and body.

Hang in there!

3 Likes

Well, as we say in Spanish, you should grab a stone and for penitence hit your chest with it as God has saved you from a greater evil. Now you understand why your ex wife to be is the way she is: she comes from a toxic, immature, manipulative family environment. *

And thank goodness you will be spared the pain of being stuck with them. Yes, it will take a few months, but compared to a lifetime of pain, as many others suffer for the sake of kids, you have one foot out the door. Rejoice as you are in the right path towards freedom!

*and to be honest, I can think of several ways they can even make your life more unpleasant, so far they have been quite lacking in teh imagination department, thank Buddah and Guanyin Ma.

1 Like

If you don’t mind could you share with me what these things could be? In the event they have any surprises, I can be more prepared. By private message preferably, don’t want to give them any ideas (not that they can read English really, but just in case)

Thanks and I am grateful to you guys for all the help. If it wasn’t for the people here, I would still be in the same spot. I’ll also try my best to keep the steam venting on here to a minimum…it’s just ridiculously frustrating…hope you guys can understand.

No, not much you can do about it.

1 Like

Okay, I see. Let’s hope they stay uncreative then.

Just heard back from my lawyer and laf. Because my wife and I were living in New Taipei(新北市) when we separated, my case is getting transferred to the New Taipei laf and I will be appointed a new lawyer. They require me to do the same thing I did today again as well. Can’t say it’s not frustrating.

Just be glad things are moving forward and not stalling.

2 Likes