What to do if spouse is missing for years?

Enjoy the peace and quiet?

2 Likes

I’m not sure how.

https://support.google.com/mail/forum/AAAAK7un8RUGdtma-iMdAQ/?hl=en

Apologies, my mistake.

Thanks but it says: " If you delete a message by mistake and it’s been fewer than 30 days, you can recover that message."
Unfortunely the emails that are missing are a lot older than 30 days. I’ve kept emails dating back as far as two years but the others were cleaned out and I didn’t realize I would be needing them at the time. Also, I did switch to gmail but at the time of those older messages, I was using Yahoo.

I do check my old yahoo account regularly in case my wife was trying to contact me and doesn’t know my new address. I’ve also used my new gmail account to talk to her family and they are aware and have replied to that address.

Yeah, sorry. My mistake.

No problem at all. I really do appreciate the help and input.

After the consultation, they would point you in the direction of a lawyer? It would save me 8,000 on my upcoming consultation with this lawyer. I mean I’m all for paying to get this done, I just don’t like the idea of paying so much to someone when I don’t even know if they can help me or not. Although I do desperately want to get my life back, I just hope to not get taken advantage of in the process. I’ve been living in Taiwan for 8-9 years so I can speak Mandarin, not completely fluent but hopefully enough to get my point across. An English speaking lawyer would make things easier though.

My major problem with the current lawyer I am going to see is, and I’m not sure if this is a red flag or not since I have never used a lawyer in the past, is that when emailing me he just said that he thinks he can help me and that I should come in for a consultation which will cost 8,000. I then replied that I was okay with the meeting and after agreeing on the time, I asked him if there is anything I should bring. He then replied that I should bring my ARC, marriage certificate, household registration records and any evidence. What bothers me is that if I didn’t ask him, I would have no way of knowing to bring that. He seemed to only remember to tell me how much it was going to cost. Seems to show me where his priorities are. Maybe I am over reacting on this but I can’t help but be cautious. He could turn out to be a good lawyer.

I’ve seen this question asked a whole lot online, but does anyone know of any good lawyers?

3 Likes

That is NOT how it should be, and NOT how it normally goes.
In my personal experience with lawyers, private and business wise, if it does not feel good, its not going to work.
I should make one step back, start ask around, and find one which is ‘specialized’ in this kind of cases.

1 Like

$8000 just for a consultation?
Ahhh hell no…(in stereotypical accent)

I went to LAF like people said and if they agree with your case the consultation is free and if your income is low enough they will help for free.
I also went to the local courthouse and for a few hours a day they have a lawyer on hand that helps for free for a 30 minute or so consultation but bring a friend because they sometimes don’t know English.

That guy referred me to a real law office where a woman lawyer talked to me over 2 hours and didn’t charge me a thing, I felt really guilty about that but she wouldn’t take any money . Unusual yes but still, it makes my point that $8k is a crazy about to ask up front

2 Likes

I didn’t read all the messages, but when my wife is missing, it’s usually because she went shopping. Have you checked at the major department stores?

2 Likes

Are you sure you didn’t sit on her?

4 Likes

Fair point. I’ll check when I get up to get more beer.

2 Likes

ee7cfe2af981e77225d55c279ff7b0cd

1 Like

The consultation is with a lawyer. You just need to make an appointment (and maybe fill out a short form?). You don’t need to prove your income/assets for the consultation.

If you ask them to take on your case i.e. represent you in court, you need to make a formal application, get your most recent tax return and a list of assets (even if you have none) from the tax office, plead your case to a committe, and all that.

If you’re not sure about any of this, just ask them.

1 Like

And the consultation is for free, so if you have a time, visiting them wouldn’t be any harm even if they are helpless. I guess you would get some useful advice from them.

Wow so it’s not just me over reacting about his initial fee. I mean, obviously everyone works for money and his time has value but it was very offputting that he seemed to only remember the cost of the meeting and nothing else. No indication whatsoever that he would be of real help and he forgot to mention what to bring. If he had just given me a little bit more of a feeling that he cared to help me, I probably might have even paid it. Now I’m thinking to cancel the meeting.

Thanks everyone, I’ll look into LAF. I still get emails occasionally from her family mostly still blaming me for stuff that happened years ago. I don’t actually agree with any of it to be honest. Like I said, they never liked me. It’s mostly them blaming me about not caring for my wife which couldn’t be any further from the truth. I supported her with all the money I made and I legitimately tried my hardest to make the relationship work. I almost get the feeling that they are trying to pin stuff on me. We had almost zero contact with them because my wife had a bad relationship with them. I then replied back that I’m sorry but I don’t agree with those allegations, the fact still remains that I haven’t seen my wife for the past 4 years. If you still don’t let me see her or tell me where she is, then it’s my right to file for divorce.
These kinds of similar emails have been going on for years…
Of course my point get’s completely ignored and they will wait about 2 weeks to 4 months to reply again with the same or new allegations and no acknowledgement of the fact that they are keeping my wife from me. Maybe they think if they admitted to how long it’s been, I can use that to divorce. They always seem careful with their wording to not indicate how long it’s been. I guess the point still remains that there still is 2 years worth of emails of me asking about her.
I’m actually considering the possibility that they are unaware of her location as well.

If it were my wife whose spouse was missing, I wager she’d be dancing in the streets.

Just sayin.

1 Like

Why is this such a big issue ? What difference does it make if she’s missing ? Just love your life as if she doesn’t exist

She’s been missing for years and I would like to go on with my life.

So, why don’t you do that ? I don’t see any reason why you can’t just start banging girls even if you still are “married”

That would lead to a pretty empty life don’t you think?

2 Likes