What to do if spouse is missing for years?

They are working quite fasta nd giving you effective and immediate feedback. That is good.

Be confident. This too shall pass…hopefully not like a kidney stone. You might be surprised.

3 Likes

I forgot to mention that the lady at laf told me that my case was going to have to undergo consideration again by the New Taipei LAF. In other words; I’m back where I started. Hopefully I can still get the same funding and an attorney soon. Reminds me of those old school video games back in the day when they didn’t have save points and I just died.

At least they got me on profile so I don’t need to go into the New Taipei LAF office.

I’ll keep everyone updated as usual and I know I already said this a lot but your feedback and support is very much appreciated. I will continue to call and push laf to move my case. Probably check back with them if I haven’t heard anything by Friday.

That’s might have something to do with me being a complete pain and constantly calling and emailing for feedback. :sweat_smile:

I was just thinking; things move pretty slow and tend to be more laid back here in Hsinchu compared to fast paced Taipei and New Taipei. Possibly this is a blessing in disguise(?). Things might speed up a little.

If I was going to change my Chinese name and update my APRC during all this, would it hurt my case in any way? I know I would have to forward it to laf and my lawyer. APRC number and English name wouldn’t change. My surname is my wife’s family name. I really hate having it and it’s a constant reminder of what is happening to me.
Also thinking to switch to filing individually for taxes since I have an APRC.

Just sounds like a potential source of confusion. Why not keep it for the time being to remind you what your goal is?

2 Likes

Yeah, I just got back from the doctor to get a refill on my inhaler. Hearing my name get called in Chinese just makes me sick every time.

The really difficult part about this is how long it’s been taking and the effect it has on my life. I know I just came to you guys not too long ago, but this has been going on for an extremely long period of time (4+years) and everyone’s patience is getting depleted. My family has been pressuring me to go back. Especially after recently hearing how long this has been taking and how slow I make progress. I am currently waiting to be re-approved by another laf branch and waiting to get an attorney. It’s quite a set-back.

My parents seem to have found a lawyer who can handle my case and help me with a divorce in the United States. I am pretty sure that divorce might not be accepted by the courts here in Taiwan but it would be valid nonetheless in USA. I don’t think that is fair to my wife but my family’s argument was: if she really cared, she wouldn’t be doing this. It’s her problem now…you get the idea. Like I said; peoples patience are running on end.

I sent an email to laf, being as humble as possible and being apologetic while asking them if there was any way to expedite this and explained my situation that I might not be able to stay in Taiwan long enough to finish the case otherwise.

I really hope this works out and hopefully gets solved here rather than back home. You guys have been great. We can still go out for drinks even if I don’t get this done before I leave. Very surprised and impressed most of you haven’t took off and lost interest by now with all my complaining.

If you have no intention of ever returning to Taiwan, a divorce in the States would be a reasonable choice. However, if you’d prefer to live in Taiwan - or at least to keep your options open - then you’ll need to get a divorce in Taiwan. Taiwan is notorious for failing to recognize divorces issued in foreign jurisdictions and it would suck to come back years later to find you’re still married to this woman.

2 Likes

I think there are not much things laf can do to expedite your case. Most timeframe would be determined by the court.

1 Like

I’m currently waiting for LAF to reconsider my case and appoint me a new lawyer. I’m hoping they can expedite that.

I think I will try my best to solve this here but if the case ends up going on for too long, I might go back and solve it in America.

I am still confused on whether you have or do not have an APRC. Or is it you are talking about the JFRV?

1 Like

yes, I understood it. I meant asking them to expedite their review process for a few days may not have much effect on the length of the whole process to get your divorce.

Changing your Chinese name and APRC might add a few additional days to the processing time at laf.

did you ask how long it would be to your previous lawyer who said you could get divorced at the end?

1 Like

It’s definitely an APRC. I originally came here on a JFRV and transferred to an APRC after 5 years. I knew our marriage was falling apart and I didn’t hesitate to get it. No expiration date on the APRC and says I just have to stay in Taiwan for 183 days per year to keep it.

1 Like

I’m hoping I can expedite it on their end and also the lawyers end. I would also inform the lawyer of my situation when we meet.

She told me it could take months depending on my wife. If they show up to the negotiation stage and we can’t reach an agreement after a few negotiation meetings, then it would go to court. Court seems to be pretty slow in between. She seemed confident I could get the divorce because it’s a pretty obvious case but she was unsure how long it could take.
I am pretty broke especially if I have to go through all this…can she still demand whopping amounts of money from me? Not sure how I would pay it but I really want this to end in the first stage.

I’ve just been updated that legal aid will have the meeting about my case tomorrow and will inform me after.

1 Like

Awesome!

1 Like

Just received a call from the nice lady who has been helping me at legal aid foundation here in Hsinchu. She explained to me the procedure. Tomorrow they will let me know the decision from New Taipei LAF. If I am accepted, I will get appointed a new lawyer on Monday or Tuesday. I will then have to go in and meet/explain my case to the lawyer once again. Really nervous I won’t get accepted by the new taipei laf. Then I really am at a loss and will have to return home.

If you do return home, do apply at least for a two year extention of leave with APRC. Hopefully, even if thsi door closes, one wil l open later on, you may need to return and fix things for good.

You see, maybe you do not realize it, but having an APRC is your ace in the hole. It is your shield to the most brutal attacks they can plan and it is also what gives you the legal right to be treated like a Taiwanese. Try not to lose it even if you leave.

After two years you can apply for another extention and so on…

3 Likes

even if you wouldn’t get accepted, you still have an option to go back to the state, and get divorced there. You would lose nothing, except for a half year since you started this thread. And during the half year, you have gotten some knowledge on legal procedure, and you now know the court will give you a divorce if you can wait.

I know it must be harder than said, but it may be better you consciously try to think in a positive way.

1 Like