What to do if spouse is missing for years?

Wow, I never realized this. I always thought the only difference between an APRC and an ARC is open work rights (which a JFRV already has) and no expiration date and no dependent. Until now I thought it was nothing more than that. Guess it doesn’t help that it looks almost the same.

Thank you. That is another thing I didn’t realize you could do. I thought after 183 days it was to be removed, no exceptions.

That’s my last resort. Hopefully I can get it done here but you are right.

Actually more like 4+ years. I wasted a lot of time trying to get them to come to reason. Never could have predicted it would take this long with no resolve. Also I was afraid to go to a lawyer and intimidated (still am) at the idea of going to court against locals here in Taiwan. Doesn’t help that I have social anxiety and never been to court in my whole life so I have no idea what to expect. Now I am at the point where I have to leave and desperately trying to solve this before I go. I really wish they weren’t doing this to me.

Good morning everyone. Today I find out if LAF will continue to take my case. Hopefully they do so I can stay in Taiwan and solve this. I will constantly check my email all day and update here after.

Just wanted to add; even though I still haven’t replied to their last email (wife’s family -which was 12 days ago), they don’t seem to care at all. Not a single email asking me to reply or anything. Their general lack of interest in this situation is really weird. Wish I could see the look on their face when/if I send them a court notice.

Still no word from LAF.

Getting quite nervous because I haven’t heard anything from LAF.

Just an update: I called laf and they said I will hear back shortly (around 5:30)about it because the lady handling my case is at a meeting.

Ah yes, Friday is meetings day in Taiwanese offices. I was just out trying to steal some cake from the one next door. Alas, they went in at 2 and have yet to come out…

1 Like

Just got off the phone with LAF. They have agreed to transfer my case and will offer the same funding! I am so relieved. They said I would get a new lawyer on Tuesday at the latest.

7 Likes

Congratulation! Things are moving along.

1 Like

They also gave me an explanation of the fees and they are within my ability to pay which was another great relief. I’m hoping my wife shows to the negotiation and we can reach an agreement. That would be the fastest resolution.

That’s the spirit. Remember, let the lawyer do the talking, and be careful what you post here as well. (In the US most lawyers would tell you not to say, post, or tweet anything without running it by them first.)

1 Like

What do you need the divorce for again?

1 Like

Start from the first post in this thread and read them all, then you’ll know.

2 Likes

Can’t believe it’s already over 400 posts. It’s a lot to follow so let me sum it up.

Had an argument with my wife and told her to leave. Realize that was a mistake now.

Wife came back about a month later, changed my lock and entered my place to steal my passport. I was out tutoring and when I came back, I was in for a shock. After paying 5k to get the lock changed back so I could get in, I saw my passport was gone. I moved out shortly after because it didn’t seem safe to stay there.

The past 4 years I have been trying to find my wife. She has made no effort to contact me directly and is hiding behind her family. Her family isn’t cooperating and instead doing nothing but blaming me while keeping me married to someone I can’t even see or talk to. Now I just want to go on with my life. I’ve been very patient for a very long time.

There’s more details if you look through previous posts but hopefully that helps everyone catch up.

3 Likes

I got that already. But, do you need the divorce in order to get married again? What would the ramifications be of simply staying legally married but de facto separated? Why not just make a will and leave her out of it?
But, you’ve already come this far, so you might as well keep going. 加油

1 Like

Perhaps you don’t know, but adultery is against the law.

1 Like

Good point. Wasn’t aware of that.

1 Like

Trust me the thought has crossed my mind but if I married again without divorce, it would be considered bigomy. Also (and correct me if I am wrong because one of the 10 points is bigomy so one could supposedly be able to do it) I don’t think it’s possible to register twice in Taiwan because the government keeps electronic record at household registration. In the US however, since marriages are considered a private matter and not electronically recorded, it would be easier to register more than once (though not legal of course). I would like to be able to remarry at some point and have a normal life and even having a relationship here, would be considered a crime. Technically I could just go to the states and remarry but if my wife ever came out of hiding and found me, I would be in a lot of trouble. Anyways, I just want to have my life back as soon as possible and the divorce has to come first.

Something just suddenly occurred to me when I was thinking about what her motives could be for staying in this marriage despite never being together. We have no house, no children, no real assets, I am pretty much broke (hense my 2/3rds funding from laf). Could my wife be using our marriage as a way to try to immigrate to the US? Could she not even be in Taiwan now? Is that possible without me? Maybe that is why she took my passport?

1 Like

Anyone know if it is possible for this to even be done? I’ve heard both people need to be present for an interview of some sort.

If she has a child, he/she would be under his name. He would be liable for US citizenship for kid, alimony, would not be able to leave the island. And getting a DNA done with she on the run will be impossible. It would be an even worse legal mess than what he can face just divorcing the hard way.

1 Like