What to do if spouse is missing for years?

Well, actually, he can date. He just can’t have sex with anyone besides himself.

Otherwise, he’s facing a possible. felony crime for adultery, a max million NTD fine, a max year in prison and finally, because he’s a foreigner, deportation.

1 Like

You have your motive on her side right there. Leaving me in this situation dooms me to stay single for the rest of my life. Only way she can hurt me.

So me getting removed from the hhr is automatic and done immediately? Does immigration need to be updated?

they need notarized rent contracts, landlords documents, or proved by authorities.

yes.

2 Likes

The issue is you have to basically have your property tax receipt (most recent one) in order to get HHR and since not everyone owns a house the difficulty is getting your landlord to agree to this since 99% of them won’t allow it because 1. They don’t want to pay extra taxes, and 2. They are afraid you would move out and not de register which opens them up to some liability if for example you defaulted on a loan. I think they normally only agree to this for long term tenant. There are ways to get the HHR office to send someone to check and forcibly register you at your present address. This is the nuclear option as far as your relationship with your landlord goes. They WILL either break contract immediately or refuse to renew the lease.

Most Taiwanese are registered with a family member who owns a house. Not really legal because you are supposed to live where your houkou is, but 99% of all Taiwanese do it this way. Like many laws in Taiwan it’s not enforced as enforcing it would cause big problems for the country.

By the way a notarized lease is acceptable as document to get a houkou but the problem is, getting a notarized lease is kinda onerous because you have to go to the court with your landlord, and you actually have to pay a percentage of your rent as fee to actually get it notarized. 99% of all tenants don’t do this and I don’t imagine landlords want to do this. Taiwanese people LOVE to handle things informally by the way, they hate formalities because it’s a lot of trouble and they can never know what can come of it. I think the only landlords who will do this is for commercial properties.

I do not know how noncitizens are handled, because houkou is only for citizens (anyone with an ID number).

For the purpose of getting a houkou the house need not be in your name by the way… all you need from your landlord (assuming they let you) is the most recent property tax receipt.

4 Likes

To repeat what’s already been stated above, foreigners don’t get a separate entry on the Household Registration 戶籍謄本 and are just a “note” at the end of the spouse’s entry.

1 Like

Thanks guys, I know I don’t need a household registration if I’m not married and don’t own property. I was just wondering if anything needed to be done and it seems the answer was no. Also, to remind people, I have an Aprc, so being that I’m not on a jfrv, do I still need to update immigration? I’m getting conflicting answers on here and by pm.

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: Household registration vs. taxation

You need to tell them if you change address. They should already be aware of your current address; there’s no reason for the address on your APRC to be the same as on your wife’s HHR. And you don’t need to tell them if you get divorced.

5 Likes

Just an update, I’m still waiting for my new lawyer to be appointed. Thanks for all the info.

1 Like

So would that mean she most likely isn’t living at the address on her household registration? Guess she might be a no show to the negotiation hearing.

To put your mind at ease regarding what I said above, when I was going through my divorce, my JFRV ARC had a different address to my now ex-wife’s HHR address. I simply told the NIA officer that we were arguing and made light of what was actually a horrifying situation for me. He “understood”, laughed back and signed off on my updated address (I had my lease with me).

I applied for my APRC and then once I was approved, I went and signed divorce papers in the morning (being sure to use my old card because my ex was expecting me to get kicked out of the country - probably the only reason she signed). I picked up my APRC in the afternoon. Once you’ve got the APRC nobody cares about your marital situation anymore, since the legal basis for the APRC is legal and continuous residency, not status (which is why it boggles my effing mind that Taiwan now has different rules for professional vs. “family” APRCs when it comes to long-term absence from Taiwan but I digress…)

5 Likes

My friend got his divorce case transferred from Taichung to New Taipei City last year, and he still hasn’t been issued a court date.

There is some huge backlog in New Taipei City compared to other places in Taiwan, so it will take over a year before anything happens

1 Like

Why would you feel that this is “most likely”? It’s not most likely and it’s not likely, either. Why sit around wondering and stewing over what might or might not happen? Who cares?!

A court summons will be sent to her registered HHR residence. She will receive the summons or someone at her registered HHR will receive it and then get it to her wherever she may be…or they won’t.

My opinion. Alrighty then. By sending her a summons, you have thrown down the gauntlet and are threatening her and her family as well. She will show up and most likely in force with her family members! They will allege mistreatment, violence, physical and emotional abuse and say that she fears for her life and that’s why she has disappeared! Prepare yourself for a most unpleasant experience. This “party” hasn’t even gotten started yet!

You think your wife and her family aren’t going to show up and are simply going to allow a summary judgement be ruled against them on YOUR behalf? No way! They will do whatever they can to demonize the lousy foreigner who abused their precious daughter. They might even engage TVBS, Apple Daily, etc. in order to control the narrative of this story in their favor. I’ve seen this before, especially when the spouse is a foreign male. Family face is at stake here and they’ll do and say anything to save public humiliation.

You wanted to know how it could get worse? You asked Icon, who is well respected and knows her stuff. She said it could get worse, much worse, but she didn’t give you the really nitty gritty details.

Guess what? It could still be worse than I just outlined in my opinion above.

Try to chill out. One step at a time. Don’t start worrying about things that are unimportant at this time. For example, name change, NIA, HHR, running back to the US, etc. All these things should only be considered AFTER the divorce is done.

That’s not exactly easy to do after reading your comment. You make my situation sound completely hopeless.

Seriously? I was told it would take a month.

I’m taking the comments into consideration and starting to lean in the direction of getting an international divorce lawyer back home. Sounds much easier. Wonder why my lawyer didn’t tell me any of this.

Nah. You’re good. Whatever they throw at you, you have an APRC shield. Whatever bad things they accuse you off, just do not lose your temper, stay calm, let them fly off the hook and into local law enforcement bad graces. Now that is going to be fun.

What is one month or so to have the pleasure to stick it to them? They think they got you and it is so easy to prove them wrong.

Guys, if there is a hearing, I propose we do as we Latinas do if it is open to the public. Show up in support…with a couple buckets of popcorn.

4 Likes

One month from the last negotiation hearing to the court date.

That would be amazing and unbelievable. I would be truly in your debts.

Funny thing is, this is pretty much what the lawyer said. Can’t really say any more than that though.

Look You can’t control the narrative in local rags. The important thing is that you will be free. As Gamer said, chill out. That your former wife’s family is huffing shows they have little cojones. You go there all Zen and they will flip out.

Sure they can say a lot of things. They need evidence. You do not need to have people on your side, not show emails or anything. She left you without means to work, pay taxes, pay NHI, get medical attention. Those are the facts. Stick to the facts.

I also suffer from anxiety. What if…? I learned little mental exercises to calm down and remind myself to look at the now, not let my fears run wild. I recommend this as a strategy. Now you have a new lawyer. Worry about what comes when it comes. It cannot be worse than now.

2 Likes