What to do, where to go?

I’m here until the 21st visiting relatives, and I’m getting bored. None of my relatives are particularly close by or my age, so they aren’t taking it upon themselves to entertain me.

If you had a friend visit Taipei, where would you take him/her? At this point, I’d be interested in going to some place where foreigners hang out since my Mandarin and Taiwanese aren’t good enough to hold a conversation.

Are there any periodicals in English that give a schedule of local events, functions, or meetings?

All three of the English newspapers have events listed in them on Fridays. Check there. They lists pubs, shows, concerts, etc. Also go to any major hotel, such as the Lai Lai Sheraton or the Hilton near the Taipei Train station and pick up a copy of This Month in Taiwan, it’s free. It’s not as good as it used to be but it will give you some general information all in English. This may not be what you are looking for, but it’s a start.

[quote=“yoyoman”]I’m here until the 21st visiting relatives, and I’m getting bored. None of my relatives are particularly close by or my age, so they aren’t taking it upon themselves to entertain me.

If you had a friend visit Taipei, where would you take him/her? At this point, I’d be interested in going to some place where foreigners hang out since my Mandarin and Taiwanese aren’t good enough to hold a conversation.

Are there any periodicals in English that give a schedule of local events, functions, or meetings?[/quote]

Hop on the train or bus and head out to Chiufen and the mines of Jingkuashih. Go to Keelung and visit the ruined forts in the hills around the city. Drive out to Sanhsia and see the great temple there. The National Palace Museum is always a good time, as is Yangmingshan and its environs. The Jin Lung Temple in Neihu has fine views of the northeast part of the city. Take them to Beef Noodle Street near the old Railroad employees dorm across from the main post office. There’s Ti Hua Rd for spices and clothing. Lots of small museums dot the city. There’s Yeh Liu and Hoping Island in Keelung…