What to do with Coins? Deposit?

What do you guys do with all your change? I have too many 1NTD coins, are there machines that can change them to bills for a fee?

Uhhhhhhhhh…you know you can buy shit with them, right?

3 Likes

The mark of a seasoned foreigner in Taiwan is how well they keep track of their change.

Get a little coin wallet and use your coins to pay every time you go to 7 for a beer or whatever.

I think you can still use MRT Add-value machine to deposit into your Easycard account. I used to do that before I had a coin pocket in my wallet and before I bought the Monthly MRT pass. Of course if you already have hundreds that is a waste of time. I even used that Add-Value machine to use for an older 50NT coin :sweat_smile:

Would the bank have this service?

Fill up my MRT card. No fee.

3 Likes

MRTs take 1nt coins?

Every six months or so I lug my four money boxes (1s, 5s, 10s, 50s) to my local bank and they count the coins and deposit into my account. Takes about 30 mins. No need to bag them up into denominations of 100, etc. Easy peasy…

4 Likes

The single journey ticket machines (with add-value) should still take all coins, even 1nt. But I have not really looked closely recently. But I used to do that constantly to off load coins a few years back before they had the Monthly Pass available.

Some Add-value machines do have minimum or multiples of NT 100.

1 Like

yes, the top-up machines at the MRT take 1NT and 5NT coins. There is a maximum number of coins you can enter at any one time (I think it’s 18), so you need to “add value” and then restart again with your next batch of 1NT and 5NTs.

1 Like

Yes that was the alternative, I do that sometimes but I have too many coins, it takes a long time.

i had a box of 1 ntd coins at my house for like 3 years.
i put them into a wallet over a few trips and put them onto my easy card.
i figured out a quick way of putting them into the machine. the whole box was probably less than 400 ntd.

now i have the habit of putting all the small change on my easy card before it builds up

1 Like

I throw them in the gutter. :muscle:

1 Like

Pay phones?

damn. 18 coins? That’s 麻煩

Just toss them in the donation box at the counter of your nearest convenience store.

2 Likes

Jeez, you guys are like a tribe of Mister Monopoly dudes.

Do you wipe your behinds with NT$500 bills too??

1 NT$ coins are a little rough on my behind. And too small to scoop.

1 Like

Every time you buy something, use your coins. Once they’re spent, don’t accumulate them anymore. Spend them after you get them.

1 Like

I usually just collect them in a big glass jar. Once the jar is full, I ask my wife to take them to the bank. And get some beer on the way back.

You could try and see how many you can get up your nose?