What to Do With Old CDs

I am wondering if there is a technological solution to getting rid of CDs without losing the music.

So far, I am aware of only two options:

1. Burn the CDs to disk.
  2. Replace the songs I like on the CDs by purchasing them as downloads and listening to them on my iPhone, iPad, or computer.

Are there other options that are easy to pull off, e.g. Convert the CD to an audio file and somehow get them saved in iTunes?

The Internet searches I have done on this are useless. Any suggestions?

Rip CDs to .mp3 files using a program like CDex. Save files to wherever you want. Be sure to back them up.

Then give the CDs to me. :smiley:

[quote=“Chris”]Rip CDs to .mp3 files using a program like CDex. Save files to wherever you want. Be sure to back them up.

Then give the CDs to me. :smiley:[/quote]

Can I somehow get them into iTunes, or is that only possible if I buy the song or album? I imagine the latter.

And if I figure this out, you’re welcome to my collection.

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“Chris”]Rip CDs to .mp3 files using a program like CDex. Save files to wherever you want. Be sure to back them up.

Can I somehow get them into iTunes, or is that only possible if I buy the song or album? I imagine the latter.

And if I figure this out, you’re welcome to my collection.[/quote]

I’ve never had a problem getting a ripped CD into iTunes. It’s simply a matter of adding the folder to iTunes.

if you have already ripped the CDs to MP3 (AA, MP4 etc.), you should be able to drag and drop the folders containing the music onto the open iTunes window to import the songs into iTunes. It’s as simple as that.

Alternatively, if you put the CD into the computer, you can directly import the tracks to iTunes. I was going to run through how to do it, but apple have done a good job of explaining it here:
support.apple.com/kb/ph1607

And…problem solved. Thanks guys.

a wise move would be first save all music as mp3 on another portable disk, then copy it into itunes. then you always have the music backed up, OUTSIDE the contol of Apple

I store all of my CD’s on my xBox, which is connected to the living room sound system. Very convenient and easy for guests to flip through. :thumbsup:

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“Chris”]Rip CDs to .mp3 files using a program like CDex. Save files to wherever you want. Be sure to back them up.

Can I somehow get them into iTunes, or is that only possible if I buy the song or album? I imagine the latter.[/quote]

No idea. I avoid iTunes like the plague.