What to do with private students

I’ve been teaching in Taiwan for a little while now so have plenty of stuff to do in the classroom or with groups of students, but I’m taking on my first private student and could use some suggestions or tips for one on ones. The student is 12yrs old and her parents want me to concentrate on her writing and grammar.

Thanks!

[quote=“Pantalaimon”]I’ve been teaching in Taiwan for a little while now so have plenty of stuff to do in the classroom or with groups of students, but I’m taking on my first private student and could use some suggestions or tips for one on ones. The student is 12yrs old and her parents want me to concentrate on her writing and grammar.

Thanks![/quote]

get her to write autobiographical essays and do book reports. The book reports can be done a chapter at a time, and she can give them to you when you arrive to shred, I mean correct, and rewrite.

Badaboom badabing

Have her make a list of her favorite movies, books, people, foods, places, animals, etc. Then ask her to write an essay on each one, and correct them. Once her grammar and spelling are good enough, you can focus on other aspects of composition. If she doesn’t have enough vocabulary, then combine this with readings and discussions to supply the relevant vocab for each essay in advance of her doing the writing.

The point of using her favorites instead of other assignments is to keep her interest.

You’re going to need a good grammar book. Can’t teach writing without teaching grammar. It’s also good to mix in conversation. Can’t spend a whole hour doing just one thing. Also read with her. If the parents want writing then I"ll have to assume that her level is high enough to do all of the above.