What to expect from living in Taiwan?

[quote=“914”]I feel for your situation, taiwan luthiers, i really do.

I have a q for the both of u boys, that is what do your parents say in all this? Theyre the ones who brought u to the usa and stayed for so long illegally, what they just expect u to live your lives there illegally? Did they have a plan? Are they in the usa still and what is their status? Or are they in taiwan now?

If u find this too intrusive, im sorry. :blush: Its just ive heard about this too often in taiwan and I wonder how the heck the parents, who caused this in e first place, expect their kids to move to a near foreign country they left as a young child, and hit the ground running?![/quote]

Well, Obama tried to introduce this Dream Act thing and it didn’t go through. The hate for illegal immigrants are so strong that they don’t care who they deport. The reality is that 9/11 and the illegal immigrants are all the excuses they need to really clamp down on things.

My dad actually has a US passport but they all just expect me to hit the ground running, and believe me its hard. Most other countries would have given the child citizenship or at least a permanent residency in this case, but not the US. Another reason it’s really hard (basically impossible) for someone like me to get a visa to the US is because you MUST prove you have no connection to the US and will return before your visa expires, otherwise they cannot issue a visa. The rule on this is so vaguely written that it is dependent on how the immigrant agent FEELS, not any proof! In fact if you listen to any US Consulates, they will ADMIT that it is not any set of documents they’re looking for but they are determining based on your documents whether or not you have a high risk of overstaying. Unfortunately if you have family or support in the US it works AGAINST you! Basically they want you to feel that the US is a shit country and you want to get out of it as soon as you can.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]My Mandarin level is much better than the OP but had the same issue too.

If you can’t stick it out in the US (you can also work online even in the US) then come back to Taiwan, do your military (you may or may not like it… the cultural difference and defeatist attitude really gets me “Kill the commanding officer if China attacks and surrender”??) Then after military try and get yourself in the position of starting a business, because it’s the ONLY way to make any real money in Taiwan. Employed work pays like crap but will give experience. The problem with online work is that the income is often inconsistent.

Forget university… English programs favor foreigners and having a TW passport is actually a curse here. You would have to take the regular entrance exam, which I haven’t taken but if it’s anywhere near as hard as the exam for government jobs, you have NO chance. It would take at least 10 years at Shi-Da to be able to get to the point where you can have a chance at passing those exams. Remember most Taiwanese study at least 10 hours a day, going to cram schools, for the last 12 years in order to even do mediocre at those exams! Besides there are so many college grads here (many of whom actually have a degree at a US Ivy League school) that employers aren’t interested in hearing about which school you went to. If you have the right skill set they will hire you regardless of your degrees. Also, you don’t need a degree to start a business. If you really need a degree then you may consider University of Phoenix if you can afford it, but seriously I feel its a waste of time and money because I never really got to use the degree. In that case all they really want to see is your high school transcript from the US and they won’t make you take a TOFEL if you show them a US High School diploma, much easier than taking the Taiwan college entrance exam in my opinion.

About a 10 year ban, might as well consider it a lifetime ban because US is so paranoid that even a little smudge on your record is grounds for exclusion or refusal of visa/entry. Visa Wavier DOES NOT APPLY if you have ever overstayed, even once, and unlike many other countries, US actively deports and excludes those who overstayed as a child… they do not care. Although it does depend on who you talk to… because immigration guys (whoever at the window that is) have absolute power in deciding if you can get a visa.[/quote]

Thank you so much for this information, it sounds like you would understand how valuable knowing this is for me right now.

[quote=“914”]I feel for your situation, taiwan luthiers, i really do.

I have a q for the both of u boys, that is what do your parents say in all this? Theyre the ones who brought u to the usa and stayed for so long illegally, what they just expect u to live your lives there illegally? Did they have a plan? Are they in the usa still and what is their status? Or are they in taiwan now?

If u find this too intrusive, im sorry. :blush: Its just ive heard about this too often in taiwan and I wonder how the heck the parents, who caused this in e first place, expect their kids to move to a near foreign country they left as a young child, and hit the ground running?![/quote]

They feel guilty and bad but they did try and get me citizenship here, unfortunately luck wasn’t on our side (we went bankrupt at one point) so everything just kept getting worst. It was so hard for me when I was younger since there was so many things that my friends were able to do and I had to just sit back and watch. It is still hard now, watching them graduate from school already while I’ve been working everyday to save money for school tuition. I can’t say that I blame my parents for attempting to give me a better life they had, but that is not to say the situation could have been handled better if they were more well informed. But that is in the past and I can only look forward to what is in the future.

You know many Americans think that one can just take a test and become citizens, while its somewhat true that only assumes that the person was a permanent resident in the first place, and has to meet a bunch of requirements. An illegal immigrant living in the US for 20 years speaking perfect English can’t simply just take a test and become citizen.

So they favor tougher immigration because they think that people can just stick it out long enough to become American. It may have been easy in the 1930’s but now its basically impossible unless you have lots of money. Also America has pretty much become the land of entitlement, where free money is given out and whole careers are based on how to get those free tax payer’s money. It’s little wonder why things are failing now.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]My Mandarin level is much better than the OP but had the same issue too.

If you can’t stick it out in the US (you can also work online even in the US) then come back to Taiwan, do your military (you may or may not like it… the cultural difference and defeatist attitude really gets me “Kill the commanding officer if China attacks and surrender”??) Then after military try and get yourself in the position of starting a business, because it’s the ONLY way to make any real money in Taiwan. Employed work pays like crap but will give experience. The problem with online work is that the income is often inconsistent.

Forget university… English programs favor foreigners and having a TW passport is actually a curse here. You would have to take the regular entrance exam, which I haven’t taken but if it’s anywhere near as hard as the exam for government jobs, you have NO chance. It would take at least 10 years at Shi-Da to be able to get to the point where you can have a chance at passing those exams. Remember most Taiwanese study at least 10 hours a day, going to cram schools, for the last 12 years in order to even do mediocre at those exams! Besides there are so many college grads here (many of whom actually have a degree at a US Ivy League school) that employers aren’t interested in hearing about which school you went to. If you have the right skill set they will hire you regardless of your degrees. Also, you don’t need a degree to start a business. If you really need a degree then you may consider University of Phoenix if you can afford it, but seriously I feel its a waste of time and money because I never really got to use the degree. In that case all they really want to see is your high school transcript from the US and they won’t make you take a TOFEL if you show them a US High School diploma, much easier than taking the Taiwan college entrance exam in my opinion.

About a 10 year ban, might as well consider it a lifetime ban because US is so paranoid that even a little smudge on your record is grounds for exclusion or refusal of visa/entry. Visa Wavier DOES NOT APPLY if you have ever overstayed, even once, and unlike many other countries, US actively deports and excludes those who overstayed as a child… they do not care. Although it does depend on who you talk to… because immigration guys (whoever at the window that is) have absolute power in deciding if you can get a visa.[/quote]

How well he get the money to open up a bussiness?

Pitching my two cents here as someone kind of in a similar situation as you. As many have pointed out, attaining a college degree is vital and much easier to get in the US. Seeing as college degrees are pretty much like high school diplomas (anecdotally from relatives in Taiwan) in Taiwan, you really need a college degree to get a job in Taiwan if you don’t want to be stuck peddling insurance or credit cards. Try to go to school in a city with a high concentration of Taiwanese (think LA, San Fran, NYC) so you can pick up more of the language, and start forming a network that will move back with you after graduation. In terms of major, you seem to have an interest in business. Can you do accounting? That is definitely, definitely a surefire major. If you stay for a master’s in accounting and get your CPA, you’re pretty much golden for the big four accounting firms in Taiwan. The lack of business Mandarin (ie. knowing specific terminology in Mandarin) will be a major hurdle for gaining employment in Taiwan. Just think the difference between common, everyday English and English used in the workplace. However, if you do the accounting path I laid out above, you’d not only have your master’s (apparently a must in Taiwan these days), but a very marketable license (CPA), making you very, very attractive to global firms that operate in Taiwan. I would stay away from communications and marketing majors, I feel those would require a much higher grasp of Mandarin.

Rereading some earlier posts – apologies if I misunderstood, are you already almost done with your marketing degree, or just about to declare it?

Everyone’s situation is different, for some starting a business is the only way to go, and the starting cost depends hugely on the type of business you wish to start. For example coffee shops costs a LOT to start (think about 1 million NT and up) but if done right can see quicker returns. Home based business has the advantage of lower startup cost, but not everything can be home based.

Just know that starting salary for someone with a Master is around 28-30k a month, even if you have things like CPA, although if you have higher experience your salary can go up.

Just don’t try teaching English, the whole industry is a scam and regardless of your English skill they still prefer a whitey to an Asian. Plus while initial earnings may seem high your earning as well as work opportunity will slowly decrease over the years despite inflation! If you have a skill, take advantage of it. If not, acquire a skill as soon as possible.

I realized that my previous post may have made going the accounting + CPA route the be all and end all to going back to Taiwan. That’s what happens when I quickly dash off a reply during lunch…

To take a step back and make a more useful generalization – finish college degree in the US, hang out with the Taiwanese Student Association folks and form a network that moves back with you, pounce on any job openings that come through that channel (few and far in between, but they do exist). At the very least, try to line up an internship/several interviews in Taiwan so you can hit the ground running when you come back. This is a tough hand you’ve been dealt with OP, best of luck!

[quote=“cityathrt”]I realized that my previous post may have made going the accounting + CPA route the be all and end all to going back to Taiwan. That’s what happens when I quickly dash off a reply during lunch…

To take a step back and make a more useful generalization – finish college degree in the US, hang out with the Taiwanese Student Association folks and form a network that moves back with you, pounce on any job openings that come through that channel (few and far in between, but they do exist). At the very least, try to line up an internship/several interviews in Taiwan so you can hit the ground running when you come back. This is a tough hand you’ve been dealt with OP, best of luck![/quote]

At least you will have time to prepare. Me, when I was sent back to Taiwan against my will, I had no time to prepare yet was expected to hit the ground running.

I got news for the OP: Don’t come back to Taiwan if you don’t have to. Here’s why: communities.washingtontimes.com/ … n-illegal/

At least for two years you will be able to get a driver’s license and work. Obama has also asked the DHS to stop deporting anyone who came in before 16 years of age.

Yes great news for OP, stay in the US and get on the path to citizenship. Good move by Obama, timed right for elections.

It never made sense to deport all these educated and hard working young people who can contribute so much and split up decent families , finally a dose of empathy and common sense is applied.

why doesn’t OP just teach english in taiwan? If he is a taiwanese citizen doesn’t he not need a bachelor’s? you can live comfortably.

I could be wrong, but without a degree wouldn’t they try to pay him what they pay college students who work in a buxiban? Maybe 150NT an hour.

Hasn’t Obama just announced to change the law for illegal immigrants who came to the US at an age below 16.
You better stay there and get a legal status in the US.

Or does the new law apply to illegal Mexican immigrants only?

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]
Or does the new law apply to illegal Mexican immigrants only?[/quote]

:bravo: :thumbsup:

The law will apply to whoever Obama thinks will vote for him!

This is not creating an amnesty but a simple non enforcement of the rules.

Maybe this will swing the immigrant vote, but then after the 2 years are up, the government will have the names and address of all the illegal immigrants and it will be then quite easy to round them all up.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]Yes great news for OP, stay in the US and get on the path to citizenship. Good move by Obama, timed right for elections.

It never made sense to deport all these educated and hard working young people who can contribute so much and split up decent families , finally a dose of empathy and common sense is applied.[/quote]

I just wished they had done that earlier… but this does NOT provide a path to citizenship though so it is suggested that the OP marry a US Citizen ASAP, or get a company to sponsor him for a real working visa (which can be difficult). Unfortunately the republicans seems to think the Dream Act encourages illegal immigration so they’ve been pigeon-hole-ing the entire act for as long as they possibly can. A lot of conservatives think that it’s a ploy for democrats to get more votes from illegal alien, but the fact is you CANNOT vote unless you are a US Citizen.

Well I would guess it will give people a path to legal residency and work rights and then citizenship. Because of teabaggers and such they can’t do it all in one go.

Well, the Latino vote might elect the next US president, problem is they usually vote Republican. :laughing:

It seems that the Taiwan system is not that screwed, after all. Enforcing the temporary work permits allows people access to get better education, training, opportunities, etc. then compels them to go back to their countries. One just wishes their original country would be ready to pay what such is worth and take advantage of it. In teh case of Taiwan, that is not such a big deal, but in Latin America or elsewhere still developing it is a whole different enchilada.

In the OP’s case, with college qualifications, he may get a proper job here. Otherwise, as said, he’s in limbo, with difficulty in accessing higher education due to language constraints. Here, they would be more willing to take his situation if he’s got at least a college degree, and that woudl allow him to use his English language skills for better profit. It is hard enough to come to a strange place with no friends, family who are strangers, no contacts and no idea what to do or where to go. At least with a degree and English and experience abroad then he can sell himself to companies a lot better. Bit of money can sugarcoat any transition.

Could you enlighten us on the above?
Grown up all your life in the US but overstayed your Visa?[/quote]

Sorry for leaving that out lol. My parents and I moved to the US when I was 4 and we never went back since. Thus, I do not have any memories of Taiwan nor most of my relatives at all.[/quote]

Basically, you “jumped the plane”.

You’re SOLed in America, frankly. The last US amnesty program was for anyone who arrived in US prior to '86.

Do you have any sort of college degree (preferably a 4-year one)? If you do, I’d move my butt back and look for jobs here.