What to look for when buying a router

Yeah, download the utility from their website, or download the English firmware and flash it to the latest version, that’ll fix the router.
tp-link.com/en/support/versi … 01&pid=390 You’ll have to pick your revision there, as they’ve got slightly different bits inside (mostly Flash memory changes).
You should be able to figure out which option it is in the router menus, it’s the last option from the bottom and then it should be the third one down, have a look here tp-link.com/simulator/841_v5/index.htm
In the router itself once you’re done, you got to wireless settings and enable WDS, although make sure everything else is set up correctly first, as per the instructions.

So my mrs convinced me to get the p874 that comes with the 50m service. She wants me to try it for a month or two and if we’re not happy then we can change it. She’s very good at convincing me. Anyway I’m wondering how to unbridge and sort out my port forwarding. I can get into the p874 menu no problem but as it’s mostly Chinese I’m worried that if I check the wrong box or click the wrong thing I’ll be screwed. Can any of you guys run me through it?

We already agreed: we all write it “router” because it’s a device that is instrumental in providing routes for signals. :smiley:

Anyway, youtube.com/watch?v=dCYApJtsyd0 - as American as it gets…

I rest my case. :smiley:

Considering that my TP router is all in English i wonder whether there is language choice in the firmware, so that you could update the device to English version before tackling the details.
And i’m curious: why do yo need to fiddle with port forwarding? Are you planning to run a server of any sort? Normally, with any service where the interaction is initatied from your side (client side), the required ports are opened automatically and forwarded to the device that originated the request for the interaction.

I’m running utorrent and following their instructions I need to do this and I also need to make sure it’s not somehow blocking utorrent. I’m not very savvy so just following a tutorial

The p874 is crap if you intend to use its Wi-Fi, as it only offers 54Mbit/s and that’s theoretical maximum while you’re not likely to get over half of that when in use. If you’re only going to use the wired ports, I guess it’s good enough.

You have to check the protability, compactibility, memory supported upto what and to supported which protocols its Ipv4, Ipv6 and always check the cost as compare to market.

Really? All that for a machine that mills grooves into wood?

1 Like

Depends, do you want to spend hours setting it up or just put in username and password.

Fastest ones will be a Cisco device, but you’d need to configure it by command line.

For easy setup and reliability and speed, Linksys, zyxel, and then the more basic brands like tplink. Stay away from D-Link.

Why buy a new one yourself anyway, doesn’t your ISP supply for free when broken, HINet does, pretty beefy little zyxel modem.

You can always get the ISP modem, and a switch and wireless ap, takes alot of the pressure off the modem when it doesn’t have to worry about a network layer or 2.

Reviving this thread, as apparently I need a router.

We had a catastrophic internet failure last Friday…which was solved Sunday night by means unknown even to Chunghwa. They called me this afternoon to see if they could get in to fix the issue. I told them the service was fine now but that it had been kind of flaky recently. The guy told me to get a better machine than the one they provide, dunno if he meant a router only or the whole modem, I think it was only the router.

His explanation was that with everyone working from home, the wifi is interfering one with the other, as in many conversations at once. That does not explain why suddenly my internet service just disappears/disconnects itself, but then I am not the expert nor getting paid to install those things.

Anyways, after some internet search, it seems a new router should do the trick. If not, well, I’ll be most distressed. Getting hold of the Chunghwa guys is like buying tickets for the East coast on a holiday.

try to change the channel on your router, that can help as most people have it set to default and if a lot from the same company they will all have the same default.

if you’re not sure what that it is, maybe if you have a tech savvy friend lives near by ask them to have a look.

1 Like

Find someone who understands. Got it.

Can you switch to a new provider, and then they can come set up their new router for you?

Even if we advise you on how to buy (this I don’t know know much about, but I think for personal use in a regular sized apartment pretty much anything will do), then it still has to be set up (this I have done). I just googled about changing the channel and you’ll need the username and password for the router. Do you know what these are? If not, everything gets much more complicated and since your provider gave you different advice there is always the chance changing the channel won’t solve the problem.

If you do just happen to know someone who is comfortable with the technology, that is definitely the easiest solution. Setting up a new router from scratch isn’t rocket science, but if you know someone who understands that will make the process much easier for you.

I’m actually in a similar boat vis-a-vis needing a new router but being unsure of what to get. My hotel/dorm has a modem for the TV, and there is wifi which is awful, so I’m thinking about getting a wireless router for my room that I can plug into the modem here (not sure what the network is like, so it might not work). I’m not sure what to get but I saw Costco had some options so I figured I’d get the cheapest thing there. I don’t have multiple family members streaming full HD on devices spread across a large household while I play games that require zero latency, mostly I just look at simple web pages like Forumosa and watch movies that can be grainy sometimes without ruining my day.

And then for a few days the wifi here is good and so I just leave well enough alone…

1 Like

Maybe can carry down to a shop and get new equipment and plug it in at home.

Torrents = MOD

They need to set up connection, password.

A post was split to a new topic: From what to look for when buying a router

Well I went all the way to the temple of technology, bought the recommend router that had 5 and a half stars on Amazon and other sites, highly praised as both fast and economical…

Internet still not working yo.

Tried the cable connection…nope, dead.

Called the Chunghwa telecom help line. Nope, they agree it’s dead, Jim.

I ain’t letting no Chunghwa telecom guy in, folks.

I am trying to consider if I change to the internet provided by the cable company maybe they can connect it with a brand new line and put the modem where I want it…after the plague…

What a horrible way to wean oneself off Netflix. Problem is that if we get to WFH again I’m toast.

if you don’t know how to configure a router, getting someone else to do it for you is pretty much required

is the problem the line into the apartment, or the router?

The problem is somewhere between the modem and Chunghwa telecom server outside. Router AFAIK is connected properly…it is just that there is no internet.

I think there is a loose line somewhere, like between the apartment and the light post. Or inside. Maybe the cats ate it.

1 Like