What TV are you watching (2020)?

Have not seen Expanse, but you absolutely must check out Raised by Wolves. The best sci-fi TV series for anyone who appreciates films like Bladerunner, Prometheus etc. Themes surrounding religion, humanity, androids, and war.

Peak Ridley Scott. Which in my book is a very good thing. And which guarantees a visual feast as well.

1 Like

Will do, and thanks for the recommendation.

I have to say, though, that The Expanse has set the bar very high. Also a visual feast.

1 Like

Very interesting. I hope those two can do half as well this time as they did with Band.

Hollywood set the bar very high in 1949 with Twelve O’Clock High, so these two have their work cut out for them.

By the way, if you’ve never seen the 1949 movie, and if you can tolerate old movies in b&w, it’s a good one. Nominated for 4 Oscars, won 2. Does a great job of showing the personal and emotional cost to US air command of assigning resources in the best way to ensure results, irrespective of casualties. I believe it’s still required viewing at all US service academies, and even some business schools air it in Org Mgmt courses.

Daylight raids over Germany were a pretty grim business, on both ends.

2 Likes

This looks good

I’m disappointed.

Cranston. I want him in broad wide open roles that average could imagine in the neighborhood like Breaking Bad.

The dramatic music doesn’t make it good.

The Expanse season 5, December 16, 2020. The first 3 eps drop on the 16th, then one a week.

Looks like Marco and his megalomaniacal brand of idealism may be the stars.

1 Like

For any old West Wing fans, the cast did a charity program on HBO Max. It’s a staged reading with most of the original cast. Most of the drama is around election day with China/Taiwan tension in the background.
They say Taiwan is about to announce their first free elections. I checked, it aired in 2002. And the Democrats won 3 terms in a row. Alternate universe.

I have my complaints (more on that later), but Netflix’s new limited series The Queen’s Gambit is quite good. It’s set in 1960s and managed to make chess feel exciting, which for me isn’t an easy feat. The show is based on a novel by the same dude who wrote The Hustler, which was adapted into a Paul Newman film.

Anyway, it was the quickest watch I’ve had in recent memory, and not just because it only has 7 episodes.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 11.28.07 PM

2 Likes

The Boys season 2 was also pretty good. Looking forward to s3.

4 Likes

I’m really enjoying Star Trek Discovery season 3 so far (on Netflix Taiwan). I probably liked the first two seasons more than most Trek fans, but this season definitely feels a lot more, um, Trekkish? Part of that is they’re finally doing reasonably self-contained “story of the week” episodes. And you can totally start with the beginning of Season 3 if you want - no need to play catch-up.

Spoiler for the end of Season 2, but it’s the whole premise of Season 3, and this is basically all you need to know to start watching:

They’re a thousand years in the future. All of pre-established canon, so long! The writers can have fun with a whole new galaxy.

Watching Emily in Paris because someone else wants to.

Cliché, views of Paris.

1 Like

Emily in Paris, real life rendition:

Now that’s a great show.

6 Likes

Fargo anybody? Every season is a completely different show.

1 Like

I would like to ask folks here what medium you use other than Netflix? (I guess everyone has that.) Amazon Prime, or something else? Does it cover many of what Netflix doesn’t? Worth paying subscription fee? I only have Netflix.

Billions, season 5.

1 Like

Brave New World. Can’t really imagine the plot.

Series now on local TV.

Anyone saw it?

Mainly a combination of Netflix and shows I buy from the iTunes store (using iTunes Canada and a Canadian credit card, no VPN or anything). Occasional piracy, but much less often than before since now at least there are plenty of legal options. I do have Amazon Prime but the catalog here is awful. Like, really awful. BUT they trail out just enough shows that I want that I keep the subscription active - unlike Netflix, which may have zero current-release shows that I watch? Oh, two, I guess - Star Trek Discovery and The Dragon Prince. Netflix has a bajillion second-tier things that I’d maybe watch if I were laid up on the couch for a few days, but very few things I’m enthusiastic about watching.

However, I don’t watch much TV either. If I had more time for TV I’d probably use VPN services for vastly increased variety with services like Amazon and Netflix. HBO Go Asia (I believe that link shows a lot more on a computer than on a phone) has a deep catalog of series that I do want to see, but so does my computer hard drive, so I’m probably not going to bother with HBO until there’s either a new must-watch-this-week show, or a sudden surge of free time for TV (Covid lockdown?).

I’ll probably sign up for Disney when it shows up here. “Catalog of stuff that I’ve already seen and still enjoy re-watching” suits my TV habits more than “constant deluge of stuff I haven’t seen and may or may not enjoy.”

3 Likes

I was afraid of that. And I will think about HBO Asia. Thank you for the tip.

The trailer looks so fucking good.

2 Likes