What TV are you watching (2020)?

I saw one episode and found it incredibly generic and couldn’t be bothered to continue.

1 Like

I found this comment incredibly generic and

2 Likes

And what?

It’s easy for first episodes that provide a lot of biographical background to seem generic. I’d give the show another chance if I were you. I’m quite enjoying it.

As I said above: if you’re a completionist, slog through it, but if you’re not enjoying it, why bother? If you just want to start with the beginning of Season 3, you can see if it’s more to your taste or not. In Season 1 … I’m not sure if any episodes are worth watching. Season 2, “Measure of a Man” and “Q Who?” (spoiler: that’s the introduction to the Borg) are both good for a watch; the rest can be skipped pretty easily.

If you do slog through, you can probably take a small, small bit of consolation from knowing that “Code of Honor” - when that tribal leader abducts Tasha Yar as a prospective wife - is probably the lowest it gets. But it still gets pretty damn low.

Deep Space Nine will be trickier. The first two seasons are also fairly weak, but there’s a bit more continuity. I watched it through maybe 10-15 years ago; the first couple of seasons were mostly background viewing while I was doing something else, and eventually it started to hold my attention.

The writers of ST:TNG didn’t know what the heck they were doing in the first two seasons - apparently that was partly because Roddenberry kept doing things like insisting this was the future and everyone was perfect and therefore there couldn’t be conflict between characters, which is death for drama. Remember Picard is supposed to be French! (They remember that maybe three times in the entire series.)

Maybe. I just really dislike standard orphange tropes.

1 Like

On the recommendation from a few good friends and my sister, I’m starting The Queen’s Gambit this week.

Recently watched S01 and S02 of Narcos, a bit late to the game there. Stellar. Really, really enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Rewatching ‘Quantum Leap’ (well… not from beginning to end… cherrypicking the best episodes). One of the best anthology shows from the 90s. Ahead of its time in many regards.

3 Likes

Never even heard of it.

Seriously? Well… it’s good. I’d recommend checking it out.

1 Like

I have not watched till now, so I don’t have an idea about that.

I shit you not. I’ll see if I can find it.

2 Likes

Last time I saw her she cut off and cooked her own leg.

That is mildly surprising - it wasn’t a huge series, but one of those serialized TV sci-fi shows that seemed to go on forever. Starring Scott Bakula; time travel, with different scenarios each week. Maybe it was one of those shows where they were trying to get the timeline back on track?

I’ve never seen it (ok, maybe 1-2 episodes way back?), but it’s one of those shows that was around a lot in the … late 80s? Early 90s?

To tie it back to Star Trek: one common reason people criticized Star Trek: Enterprise is that they took a charming actor like Scott Bakula (famous mainly for Quantum Leap) and turned him into a grumpy unappealing curmudgeon as the captain of the ship and star of the show.

1 Like

So no one here has watched The Undoing yet? Hottest show on TV right now.

Where can I watch it?

It’s a current HBO show. I could tell you how and where, but that would be against the laws of Flob.

This? Hugh Grant looks old. Plot seems mundane.

1 Like

Seems to be on HBO Go Asia, actually - and I believe we can subscribe to that these days.

(I hadn’t heard of The Undoing either.)

https://www.hbogoasia.tw/#series/sr415