What TV shows are you watching (2022)

I’m thinking the mall gig has to be post BB.

Yes.

Finished all the seasons of The Umbrella Academy. I enjoyed the first couple seasons, but the last season was a huge letdown.

Especially the last episode.

Elliot Page is the dryest actor I have ever seen. A rock could act better than Elliot. Elliot’s face has zero emotion, and Elliot mumbles lines. Elliot’s character was supposed to be the main focus, but I just wanted to fast forward Elliot’s parts.

6 posts were split to a new topic: From TV

I thought that was why they cast this person because this person is emotionless when acting. The role was for a girl who was neglected and as a result had overly suppressed emotions (at least in the first two seasons). They seemed to change the whole character on a dime that undermined the entire thing.

I watch the first few episodes of the newest season. They handled the transition very poorly. The writing was cringey and was entirely out of place. Its fine to include it, it could have been interesting maybe if it created conflict or was part if the drama and the characters had to deal with the change. But none of that happened. It was just really weird (in a jarring way not an intentional weird as part of the visual rhetoric way) and was shoehorned in. Just was very sloppy writing in my opinion.

Anyway I found the whole thing strange. The actor is male now, but the original role is for a woman. Shouldn’t this person just act like a woman for the role ? Or have a new actress who is a woman? They just jumped in time so maybe they could have explained the change this way?

Has anyone watched ‘Black Bird’ on Apple TV? It looks like one of those middling crime dramas that are good for turning off one’s brain.

The Offer.

In no way a tight show, but for me a blast of a watch. Details the making of the Godfather, with detours into many other classic Hollywood productions of the early 70s. The young Pacino is exceptionally well cast.

Negatives are cartoony mafiosos and a meandering script, but for any fans of classic Hollywood The Offer is a must.

1 Like

What platform is it streaming on?

Paramount.

Hmm, I don’t know…looks pretty lame to be honest.

I liked it, probably better than the prequel trilogy. Really glad to see so many actors came back for this. Definitely worth it for franchise fans, though I admit to getting distracted while it was on

All kinds of Star Trek TV show reboots. Strange New Worlds is the latest I’m watching.

There’s also ST Discovery on Netflix (a bit woke, in the usual forceful Netflix way, but very well done) - and ST Picard on Amazon, which is a bit slower but well thought out and has the original Picard.

The diminishing returns of the LOTR franchise is on par with Star Wars at this point.

Obi Wan was pretty good. Rebooting LOTR seems doomed to fail though

1 Like

Peter Jackson is a tough act to follow.

1 Like

The Hobbit movies kinda sucked, IMO. But his LOTR adaptation was top notch. I liked the shortcut to mushrooms through tom bombadil which was cut, but otherwise pretty close to the books

2 Likes

Anyone watch Evil? Not sure if it was there before, but on S03E06 when the “Skip Intro” button comes up on your device they added a little box on the bottom of the intro that says, “Skip this intro and you’ll be haunted”. I love this show.

I just can’t do Taiwanese TV, which is the reason I haven’t had cable for over ten years. That said, I just watched the first episode of Mom, Don’t Do That! (媽別鬧了!) on Netflix and I was pleasantly surprised. I’m not saying it’s Emmy worthy, but it’s funny with some clever dialogue. It’s well-paced and just silly enough to be enjoyable but not cringeworthy.

It may not be for everyone, but I’m happy to finally find a TV show here that I can get into (assuming the next episodes similarly hold my attention).

3 Likes

JRR Tolkein too, one imagines.

1 Like

Through S01E05 of The Old Man and still liking it. Don’t get the hate here.