What was YOUR Reason for Moving to Taiwan

Ok so this post is for all those who live in Taiwan now or will be in the future or even those who did at one point. I am wondering what your motivation was for choosing Taiwan as a place to Live. I am considering it due to my love for the people and the culture.

However, I find many in this forum who dont appreciate either. So it makes me scratch my head a bit :ponder: as to why an American or Canadian etc would ever move to a country like Taiwan if they dont like the people or the culture. Look forward to hearing your reasons. :popcorn:

This has been done before, mate.

Live there for more than three years and then you can comment on your love for the culture and all. Until then, one shouldn’t judge people for venting.

Nevermind, I forgot most of you are in this forum because you BITTER about Taiwan…where is the forum for young, vibrant and excited people? Point me there!! :discodance:

I’m not bitter about Taiwan at all.

Why are you leaving San Francisco? No young, vibrant, exciting people there?

Nobody is BITTER about Taiwan, just that your kind of shit gets old after awhile, live there and you can determine for yourself whether it is Shangra la or not.
Taiwan is like most other places, the good is VERY good, and the bad is VERY bad.

Why are you leaving San Francisco? No young, vibrant, exciting people there?[/quote]

Actually very few unfortunately. This city has high turnover rate of these types of people. And no one seems to develop real relationships here in San Francisco. Been here 3 years and not much luck with serious people. From what I can tell people are much more friendlier in Taiwan.

Why are you leaving San Francisco? No young, vibrant, exciting people there?[/quote]

Actually very few unfortunately. This city has high turnover rate of these types of people. And no one seems to develop real relationships here in San Francisco. Been here 3 years and not much luck with serious people. From what I can tell people are much more friendlier in Taiwan.[/quote]

In my, very limited, experience people are the same everywhere. I wouldn’t recommend moving somewhere new hoping that the people there will be better. Some will be nice, some not so. Similarly, don’t assume that all expats are bitter because a couple of posters have given you that impression.

Hey Tomthorne

Thanks for your post. I do agree with it to an extent. :bow:

[quote=“freethinker83”]Hey Tomthorne

Thanks for your post. I do agree with it to an extent. :bow:[/quote]

Well, an extent is a pretty good start.

To be honest, the Taiwanese people are really very nice indeed and they are amazingly tolerant of some pretty naughty behaviour by some expats. However, some of the laws in Taiwan when applied to foreigners are not so forgiving.

I went to Taiwan because I got a job there. Loved it. Met some brilliant people. Lived in many different countries. Loved them. Met some brilliant people. Live in my home country now. Love it. Meeting some brilliant people. In the future I plan to live Italy. I’m sure I’ll love it and, well, you know the rest.

Where you live is just wallpaper. It’s who you are and how you relate to people that’s important.

Everywhere has an ‘interesting culture’, apart from Canada and Cambodia.

[quote=“Buttercup”]I went to Taiwan because I got a job there. Loved it. Met some brilliant people. Lived in many different countries. Loved them. Met some brilliant people. Live in my home country now. Love it. Meeting some brilliant people. In the future I plan to live Italy. I’m sure I’ll love it and, well, you know the rest.

Where you live is just wallpaper. It’s who you are and how you relate to people that’s important.

Everywhere has an ‘interesting culture’, apart from Canada and Cambodia.[/quote]

Wow. I really like what you said Buttercup! I think you actually hit the nail on the head! I somehow knew this on the inside…thanks for bringing this back to the surface for me :slight_smile: :notworthy:

Well, I’ve lived a lot and travelled a lot. Everything goes with you. If you don’t like where you are, what is it that’s going to be different somewhere else? I lived in Asia all my adult life, and when I needed to return to my own culture, there was a huge blast of painful reverse culture shock. Absolutely the same as culture shock (everyone’s dirty and slow and stupid and noisy and wtf do they do that and they’re all fucking looking at me and why does it have to be so fucking hard to pay utility bills, and the bank tellers are stupid bitches, and the public bathrooms are gross and the traffic is insane, and etc, etc.) and all the things that all-the-six months in newbs said when I was in France, Thailand, etc.

Middle class people of our generation revere travel as an end in itself. We are supposed to pride ourselves on our ability to catch long haul flights and google information as if it gives us special exotic powers such as the ability to ‘understand other cultures’, as if ‘those people’ are fundamentally different from us. Whether we’re following the buffalo herd or simply indulging our pointless wanderlust, all we are doing is indulging ourselves.

Let go of your preconceptions, and go to join the daily grind on the other side of the world. All it will teach you is that there was nothing to learn.

I knew hardly anything about the people or culture before i moved here. I knew they spoke Chinese, ate with chopsticks and not much more.

I came here because I was bored with life back home, dissatisfied with my career path (or lack of one) at that time, and restless to find a more interesting or meaningful direction in life. I had no idea Taiwan would resolve those issues for me so completely, dramatically and permanently. I guess I figured it would be more like a brief vacation. Instead it’s like I was drugged and blindfolded and whisked away for a bumpy ride in the dark and woke up and now i’m living in Avatar world, surrounded by blue people (not that I’ve seen that movie). But it’s good.

Let go of your preconceptions, and go to join the daily grind on the other side of the world. All it will teach you is that there was nothing to learn.[/quote]

Hmm well buttercup I totally agreed with most of what you said until your last sentence. “Nothing to learn”…thats a scary thought! And I would say thats not completely true. I moved from Texas to San Francisco and believe you me I learned TONS since my 3 years here in San Francisco. Learned more than I ever thought was possible. I also think if I choose to move to Taiwan I will learn tons more. Learning is the only reason I am still living :slight_smile: But with your advice, i should buy a gun and end it hahah :stuck_out_tongue:

OK, well, MT just disproved what I wrote! :laughing: I guess I shouldn’t generalise my own views. For some, travel does change them.

I knew hardly anything about the people or culture before i moved here. I knew they spoke Chinese, ate with chopsticks and not much more.

I came here because I was bored with life back home, dissatisfied with my career path (or lack of one) at that time, and restless to find a more interesting or meaningful direction in life. I had no idea Taiwan would resolve those issues for me so completely, dramatically and permanently. I guess I figured it would be more like a brief vacation. Instead it’s like I was drugged and blindfolded and whisked away for a bumpy ride in the dark and woke up and now I’m living in Avatar world, surrounded by blue people (not that I’ve seen that movie). But it’s good.[/quote]

Hey Mother T.

Glad to hear a positive response from someone. Thanks for sharing. I am glad you have enjoyed your stay!

[quote=“freethinker83”]

Hmm well buttercup I totally agreed with most of what you said until your last sentence. “Nothing to learn”…thats a scary thought! And I would say thats not completely true. I moved from Texas to San Francisco and believe you me I learned TONS since my 3 years here in San Francisco. Learned more than I ever thought was possible. I also think if I choose to move to Taiwan I will learn tons more. Learning is the only reason I am still living :slight_smile: But with your advice, i should buy a gun and end it hahah :p[/quote]

No, no, not at all. Just that what you learn comes from within yourself and your relationships, not from surrounding yourself with novelty. That’s not to say you shouldn’t indulge yourself by entertaining yourself, if you feel the urge. We all of us do it.

Hey Buttercup…

You said…

No, no, not at all. Just that what you learn comes from within yourself, not from surrounding yourself with novelty.

Me:

Ok got you! that sounds better :slight_smile: it just came off wrong at first haha…I totally get you now. I do however think that different surroundings help bring to surface different things from within. Enlightenment in my opinion comes from various sources and surroundings. :slight_smile:

You’ll grow out of that :wink: You’re in your 20s, yeah? One day, external change won’t be change any more.