What will be DVD's successor?

Originally titled - Blu-ray (DVD’s successor). Changed the title after seeing there is more than just one format competing for the spot.

Figured someone else would find this interesting too.

The last time I wondered about what the next popular media was going to be there wasn’t really an answer. I guess there is now.

Was reading about the new Xbox (set to come out next year maybe) and in the article there was mention of using Blu-ray instead of DVDs. “Blue-ray?” I said. A quick google search brought me here.

blu-ray.com/

Now you know.

I’ll change the title and stuff tomorrow, but there is also HD-DVD and one other format (that I saw) competing for the top spot.

HD signed with the studios. Looks like it’ll win.

HD-DVD is being developed by Toshiba with an agreement to get titles from Paramount, New Line (L of the R) and Universal. It is an upgraded version of the current DVD technology and therefore production costs will be lower than adoption of Blu-Ray.

Blu-Ray is a Sony (+Panaasonic & Sharp) developed product with studio support from 20th Century Fox, News Limited etc. It involves a different production set up to HD-DVD.

Yes folks it’s VHS vs. Betamax all over again because a ‘universal’ player will be needed to play both forms…sigh

Seems like the battle between the two formats is being played out in the video game arena as well, with PS3 going with blu-ray DVD, and M$ being pressured to use HD-DVD in Xbox 2.

For those wondering what the difference is, HD-DVD uses the same wavelength laser as regular DVD, but they use a narrower track so they can squeeze 15gb per side (dual layer) as opposed to 9gb per side with regular DVD. The idea is that it will be easier to transition and lower cost to produce because it is not as big a change. But the other reason might have to do with there not yet being a recordable HD-DVD, and dual layer recording being more difficult to achieve. Dual layer recordable DVDs just became possible this year after years of work and many predicting it would be impossible.

Blu-Ray on the other hand uses a different wavelength laser, and achieves 25gb per side with a single layer. Dual layer Blu-Ray was recently introduced and doubles that amount, and there are reportedly plans of making 4 layer media in the future. Recordable single layer Blu-Ray is already a reality. As far as actually getting the technology out there, Blu-Ray has a handsome lead, with many products on the market (though still very expensive).

It’s far from decided which technology will win out. There were the same sorts of competing technologies before DVD came out, and the DVD folks won out against the high density CD folks that time. If Blu-Ray can get costs down, its superior capability will probably gain more acceptance. Personally I’d like to see Blu-Ray win out, as HD-DVD is too much of a baby step forward.

Another (DVD) format war - just what we need. :loco:

Looks like I was misinformed a bit about HD-DVD. I was going to go back and edit my previous post but there was too much to change…

HD-DVD is 15gb single layer and 30gb dual layer per side, and they have both recordable and rewritable formats already in the works. There’s not as much disadvantage as I thought, except that with HD-DVD a single layer only gets you a bit more than an hour of best quality HD, whereas single layer Blu-Ray will get a full 2 hours of best quality HD. The capabilities are close enough that I’d be happy with either one. I just hope they sort it out and decide on one before the mass market products come out.

Also see: blu-raydisc.com

If I had to guess based on men’s intuition (is there such a thing?) I’d put my money on Blu-ray.

It has a sexy logo.
Backing by Sony (and others).
Will be in the PS3.

I bought a PS2 before I got a DVD player and I’m sure I (and others) will follow the same trend with Blu-ray. Only time will tell I suppose. Sony did also backed mini disks, beta and some other things I probably don’t even know about that never caught on the way they thought it would. But I don’t think this will be one of them.

taipeitimes.com/News/worldbi … 2003213338

most of that major studios have chosen HD-DVD, the only undicided major is Fox, the minors will follow the example of the majors. Will Fox be the only studio to release films on Blu-Ray while all the others use HD-DVD ? what’s the benefit in that ? Blu-Ray may find a niche market like Betamax and Minidisk, but nothing more. Using it in the PS3 will help stop piracy, noone will have the equipment to copy games, like on the GameCube.
Seems this time we won’t get the format wars that hampered the uptake of VHS and DVD.

I wouldn’t bet on it. And keep in mind that one of the major studies belongs to Sony - so guess what they will support.

Just leaves me to add that the success of VHS cannot be credited to any technological reasons (as it was inferior) but because it was the most popular one.

I wouldn’t bet on it. And keep in mind that one of the major studies belongs to Sony - so guess what they will support.

Just leaves me to add that the success of VHS cannot be credited to any technological reasons (as it was inferior) but because it was the most popular one.[/quote]
Funny how Sony owns Blu-Ray, and how all the other studios have gone with HD.

This is what happened with the SONY BetaMax. Sony insisted on developing it all by its lonesome, trying to force it on everyone, and nobody else wanted to give Sony a monopoly on the ownership of the format.

Meanwhile, VHS was something that a whole bunch of consumer electronics outfits shared, and so they quickly overwhelmed Sony.

Maybe Microsoft will help Sony, maybe not.

Was reading some other forums and people made some funny comments about how the average user doesn’t use DVDs to their fullest potential yet and there’s already all this hub bub about the next thing. Also, the price of HiDef telies need to come down before we worry about the format.

I just like the technical stuff, I’m still happy with my CDRW which hardly ever gets used. I’ve never had or needed a DVD player/burner for the computer.

Why even bother with DVDs anymore when a compact HD is more convenient, efficient, and yes, cost effective.
It takes moments to copy folders with movie files to disk and even erase them. DVDs take much longer, and the disks are much more easily damaged.
HDDs come with at least one year warrenties, and are easily reformatted to your specific needs.

I think that the answer is already here.
No need to even contemlate it guys, in my opinion, it’s a mute point.

maybe an invisible dvd player :smiley:

I agree with Nam that removable HDs are excellent for data backup/storage, but they’re not as versatile and portable as a DVDR/RW - ie, you can’t mail someone a mini HD. So, there is certainly a need for the capabilities of current DVDR medium, as well as a need for 15-50 GB discs (and larger).

In terms of who will win, well, who knows. Sony has a history of trying to dominate hardware markets in a similar way as MS tries to dominate software. Let’s not forget that Sony invented the CD, if memory serves. It could be their Blu Ray DVD becomes a niche product, as suggested, but one way or another there can and only will be one dominant standard, be it the Toshiba backed format or the Sony product.

At the end of the day, we all win when one standard emerges, since it drives prices way way down and allows for new related products to emerge. Anyway, this isn’t as serious as the VHS/Betamax issue. After all, in just a few years either one or both of these standards will have massive 40-50 GB discs on the market. So, they’re both great technologies. I’m pretty excited about it all, actually. :slight_smile:

Ya, that was pretty big…

I eventually got stuck with a useless copy of History of The World Part I on beta.:fume:

Hmmm…better make CD,DVD copies of all my current files, and maybe upload a few to the gmail account. (Many thanks to the neighbor who hooked me up with that) :bow:

Interesting that you mention storing files at gmail. I recently ran out of floppies and didn’t want to burn a CD just to save a few Word files so I sent them to one of my Gmail accounts. It’s a handy way to backup stuff. Whatever new formats emerge, you can still lose your data if the actual disk gets stolen or lost, mouldy or otherwise corrupted, or if your house burns down/ gets flooded/ collapses in an earthquake (hey, this is Taiwan!). These new formats will hopefully result in extremely cheap or free online storage. All you will need to do is remember your password and keep the account active.

What happens when the bunker/island/cave that holds gmail storage facilities gets wiped out by some really serious nuclear/biological/chemical incident? What about operator error? I know someone in a large government dept. who, this is a few years back, deleted the organization’s shared drive before it had been backed-up… :unamused: