What will Taiwan be like in 2025?

Start a new thread I will. This one goes with the Where will you be in 2025 thread. Not the Talk like Yoda one. Mr. Sir will be in the toilet. Will he be able to flush tp? Will he be flushing in the ROC or the PRC? Will he ever get out of there and let someone else have a turn? Will the country be ruled by damn, dirty apes?

Taipei, Kaohsiung, and Taichung will have rapid transit. Parking will still be a problem. There will be five nuclear power plants in operation. 300 television stations for shopping. Malls everywhere. Disneyland in Hualien. Universal Studios. The Chen Shui Bian Memorial Hall. An American Embassy operating in Tien Mu.

Get your stinking paws off me!

How’s the plate tectonics situation looking, amateur scientists out there? Is Taiwan going to be underwater by 2025?

The richest province in China?

I sure as hell won’t be here. Can you imagine what it will be like trying to find a parking space? Taiwan is presently the second most densely populated country on earth (or it would be if it were a country).

According to the 2003 World Almanac, Bangladesh is first with 2,580 citizens per sqare mile. Taiwan is second, with 1,804 per square mile. South Korea has 1,275, Japan 833 and the United States 79.

Unless they all move to China, Taiwan will be uninhabitable.

In 2025, Taiwan will be known as “Taiwan Autonomous Province.” The post of president will have been abolished.

The national title of China will have reverted to “Republic of China.”

The U.S.A. and other countries will have consulates in Taibei, Taizhong and Gaoxiong.

There will be Taiwanese people among the leading political figures in mainland China.

Chiang Kai-Shek’s remains will have been reburied in his home province of Zhejiang.

There will be no more military conscription.

There will be no more death penalty.

Taiwan will still have nuclear power. Nuclear waste will be transported to Xinjiang and stored underground.

There will be regular ferry and hydrofoil services between Taibei, Gaoxiong, Penghu, Jinmen, Mazu, Xiamen and Fuzhou.

Solar, wind, wave and tide power will be in widespread use, as will electric and hybrid cars and scooters.

Cannabis production and consumption will be legal and taxed.

Immigration laws will have been revised to make permanent immigration and naturalisation possible for both blue and white-collar workers.

Hanyu pinyin will be widely used and understood alongside zhuyin fuhao (bopomofo). All other forms of Chinese romanisation will be dead and buried.

Juba, I like your Taiwan. Hope I’m around to see it.

The dream

Wind turbines line the coast and roof-tops all over the island are covered in solar panels. There are no nuclear power stations anymore.

The Greens are the ruling party. The KMT was dissolved in 2011, the year after the Independent Republic of Taiwan joined the United Nations. The DPP is the main opposition party.

Regular hydrofoil services connect Taiwan with major cities on China’s east coast.

The bicycle is the main form of transport. The once crowded and chaotic streets are now quite and peaceful and many roads have been “pedestrianised”.

Hanyu pinyin is the official romanisation system and all street signs and maps use it.

The likely reality

Three nuclear power plants still in operation. The nuclear waste is still being piled up on Orchid Island.

Taiwanese politics remains divided on pro-unification/pro-independence lines and Taiwan is still not a member of the UN. It still maintains diplomatic relations with a few select African dictatorships.

No direct transport links to China.

Traffic in gridlock for at least several hours a day.

Tongyong pinyin version 6 has just been adopted as Taiwan’s official romanisation sytem.

All I know is that if Taiwan doesn’t stand up for itself, Taiwan will become part of China. :imp: Yikes

• MiakaW

selling stinky tofu to you all from my road side stall.

chou

Juba predicts: "In 2025, Taiwan will be known as “Taiwan Autonomous Province.” The post of president will have been abolished. "

And Maoman says he likes this.

You want Taiwan to be a part of commie China? No way, Taiwan will never be a SAR. I can understand Juba’s POV because he is a mainlander, but Maoman, you just married a Taiwanese and now you want Taiwan to become a SAR of China. WHY? Police xplain!

I say: In 2025, Taiwan will be a free and indepedent country. [Hey, wait a minute, that’s not a prediciton. That’s a reality.]

I second what Formosa said on this one! :sunglasses:

[quote=“formosa”]Juba predicts: "In 2025, Taiwan will be known as “Taiwan Autonomous Province.” The post of president will have been abolished. "

And Maoman says he likes this.

You want Taiwan to be a part of commie China? No way, Taiwan will never be a SAR. I can understand Juba’s POV because he is a mainlander, but Maoman, you just married a Taiwanese and now you want Taiwan to become a SAR of China. WHY? Police xplain!

I say: In 2025, Taiwan will be a free and indepedent country. [Hey, wait a minute, that’s not a prediciton. That’s a reality.][/quote]

Down boy, heal! take it easy now, have a biscut, Formosa, the PRC will not exist in Juba’s future. Taiwan politicians aka ROC will have reagianed the mainland or it (PRC) will simply have imploded, no exact detail is given by the futrist, except that there will be harmony between Autnomous taiwan and its now (then) peaceful cousin.

Chou

Chou

In the Year 2025:

• Scientists in Hsinchu will develop a new strain of betel-nut by which will render taxi drivers unable to salivate–thus making spitting impossible.

• Taipei will have just hosted the Summer Olympics, inviting the world’s athletes with their slogan of “Athleticness for the Best Function of The Globe”

• Attempt by China to invade Taiwan is foiled by faulty GPS devices manufactured in Guang Dong Province. After being attacked for days by the Chinese forces, enraged Bora Borans petition to have China ousted from U.N.

• Although James Soong was immortalized by having his preserved body placed next to Chairman Mao’s, he breaks free from his cryo-genic state. His corpse begins to rampage through Tienanmen square for several hours, a mindless zombie attacking tourists for a taste of human flesh until an enraged Japanese tourist pummels him with the laser feature on his Nokia phone.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

And every scooter body will repeat that slogan no doubt.

The speed limit will be 12mph.

Everyone will get 27 parking and 32 speeding tickets a day.

There will still be diesel buses and two stroke motorcycles.

The Gaoxiong MRT will be “finished in September”.

Beer will be NT$7000 a pint.

Average temperature during summer months will be 42 degrees C.

It will be illegal to smoke cigarettes, use bad language, wear flip-flops, chew binglang, eat offal, but the rest of the world still won’t have noticed, and everyone here will pine wretchedly for the “good old days”.

All the foreigners here now will either have buggered off to China (to look for the “good old days” perhaps) or gone home.

Spin will be called “Spin” again and play 80s disco music, the Stone Roses, and reggae, like in the G.O.D.

The average rate for teaching English will still be the NT$550 it was in 1992. Old timers will swap “money for old rope” stories about getting over NT$1,000 an hour and FOBs will roll their eyes.

I will have bought the Bushiban and turned it into a time capsule circa 1992, 1993. Sandman will have bought DV8. The a/c downstairs will still not work.

As much as I would love to go full-speed into humor (CKS Memorial becomes Liberation Square? KMT star on flag replaced by a plum blossom?), I think the question deserves a serious answer.

Demographics are a good place to start. Yes, Taiwan is densely populated, but it is also aging, and the sex ratio more and more skewed toward males. Like Japan and Korea, Taiwan will have to figure out how to support its elderly (unless they conveniently die from SARS) and satisfy its heterosexual young men. Unlike these other countries, Taiwan will find it fairly simple to permit high immigration (from China and Southeast Asia). This is different from the U.S. and European strategies because they can “cherry-pick” the most desirable nationalities for immigration as wives and workers.

Economically, Taiwan is blessed with an educated, hard-working workforce which ought to do well in comparison with other places. (Failing that, they at least have a good climate in case everybody has to grow their own food!) So I have confidence in the “fundamentals.”

One of the consequences of more exchanges with China is that crime, particularly organized crime, will increase and become more brutal. Local gangsters are somewhat inhibited in their actions by the presence of family. Not so immigrant mainland gangs.

More “incurable” contagious diseases will arise, and become politically significant. They will especially impact subtropical and tropical regions, like here. This might actually have unexpected benefits, such as effecting a worldwide population drop.

Oil prices will rise to the point where many things we take for granted (e.g. the costs of shipping and air travel, many manufactured goods) will become several times more expensive. On the bright side, large-scale war will also become unaffordable.

Politically and economically, Taiwan now participates in a kind of multinational empire centered on the United States, and encompassing Europe and East Asia. We have to know what the 2025 equivalent will be. At a guess, I suppose that the U.S. will have imploded due to social and economic problems. The machinery of world trade (like the WTO) will still be around, but now dominated by regional blocs. Most people expect one of these blocs to be Chinese, but I’m going to go farther and call it South Chinese. This would not necessarily bode well for Taiwan, since they are natural competitors.

The Taiwanese / mainland rivalry will blur into other rivalries. On one hand, everybody’s kids will intermarry. On the other hand, more mainlanders augmenting the ones here now will exascerbate matters. And then there are the Southeast Asians, who stand to become a third local population group. English and Mandarin will edge out Taiwanese language, because they are more practical. (Think money.)

Politically, I feel confident in predicting that Taiwan will always be corrupt, but nevertherless run reasonably well. Whether they call the result an “autonomous zone” or a “nation” or whatever won’t be so important in the future as it is now.

There will be a coastal bike path circumventing the island completely with themed hostels every fifty kliks: a Science Park bike hostel, an aboriginal culture hostel, a scuba diving hostel, a Formosa native fauna hostel. Bikers will come from all over the world to savor the marvelous experience.

Taiwan will have its own indigenous electric/fuel cell car industry which will have supplanted fossil fuel cars and motorcycles completely.

The island will lead the world in nanotechnology with entire factories on the head of a pin churning out everything from bionic antibodies to microsurgery paraphenalia to microscopic sensors capable of sensing catastrophic structural failure long before it can kill anyone.

I will have learned to read, write and speak Chinese fluently.

[quote]There will be a coastal bike path circumventing the island completely with themed hostels every fifty kliks: a Science Park bike hostel, an aboriginal culture hostel, a scuba diving hostel, a Formosa native fauna hostel. Bikers will come from all over the world to savor the marvelous experience.

Taiwan will have its own indigenous electric/fuel cell car industry which will have supplanted fossil fuel cars and motorcycles completely.

The island will lead the world in nanotechnology with entire factories on the head of a pin churning out everything from bionic antibodies to microsurgery paraphenalia to microscopic sensors capable of sensing catastrophic structural failure long before it can kill anyone.[/quote]I’ll look forward to that

[quote]I will have learned to read, write and speak Chinese fluently.[/quote]Now you’re just being silly :smiling_imp:

The next SARS like epidemic will get completely out of hand - because everyone who had the slightest knowledge of the possibility will be in prison for failing to contain it in 10 seconds.

The government’s resources will be so completely committed to prosecuting them that they will not be able to afford the advertising campaign.

In a bid to put itself unassailably beyond the reach of China’s ‘black hand,’ Taiwan will attempt to make itself into a high-profile laboratory for 21st century democracy. It will become the first nation on earth to institute direct electronic democracy in which the electorate is able to participate directly in the governance of the island’s affairs, transforming its representatives into public managers and becoming the closest system on earth to the ideal democracy, striking terror in the hearts of lobbyists and special interests everywhere.

Taiwan will be in a neck-and-neck competition with Korea to become the ‘immersive gaming’ hot zone of the world, ‘IG’ being gaming fully immersed in ‘virtual world’ in vision, hearing and body movements as opposed to the old-fashioned ‘porthole gaming’ in which participants merely peer through a computer screen into virtual world.

All of Taiwan’s renewable energy needs will be provided by solar, nuclear and tidal energy generator technology.

Blueface666 will be last seen alive by the staff of his favorite betel nut stand in Taichung shambling by naked, incoherent and singing Confederate battle hymns at the top of his lungs.