What would you do if an adult hit your kid at school(Update)

Ok, so I went to see the principal at 1:00pm today with all the documents, explained to him what had happened and looked really shocked. First thing he did was calling the security guy and had a word with him, then he told me he was really sorry it happened and very glad i didn’t go to the police or the press and gave me all kind of praise.
I then told him I wanted to get the man here and settle this with him. he called and the guy said he had no time to come, maybe another day and hung up.
I told the principal he better call him back and tell him that i am nost asking him a favor, it’s either he comes today or I am going to the police and the press. Then I left.
30 minutes later I get a call from the principal telling me the guy agreed to come right away.
So, I go back to school and meet him with his wife, they brought a present for my son and start telling me how every kids in school tease their daughter and blah blah blah, so I cut him off and tell him that regardless of the situation his action was unacceptable, he said yeah, maybe it was wrong, I go “excuse me? it’s not maybe, it’s completely wrong”, he agreed and appoligised to us, then he says that in fact later that Friday his daughter told him my son had nothing to do with it and he really felt bad.
Anyway, to make a long story short, I got my son with us, he apologized to him, promised nothing like that will ever happen again and it was wrong, paid the medical bill and thanked us for not going to the police.
I realized, you mention police and press and everyone freaked out.
I want to thank everyone on this board for your help and support especially JS, because last friday I was really gonna go to his place and god knows what would have happened.
Thanks again everyone. Cheers.

[quote=“igorveni”]
I want to thank everyone on this board for your help and support especially JS, because last Friday I was really gonna go to his place and god knows what would have happened.
Thanks again everyone. Cheers.[/quote]

Igorveni, I admire your composure and manner. There were so many ways that this could have played out. You took the right path. :slight_smile:

Funny how it takes years to build patience but just a second to lose it. Had you gone to his house you would have behaved in exactly the same way he did. By not doing that, you have given us all some face.

bravo
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Yes! Well done, igor.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you.

I am happy to hear that all of this finally ended peacefully, with all the results that you expected. :bravo:

Good precedent you set, igorveni. Calm and collected always wins! :bravo:

I think your story needs to be told outside of this forum somehow so many other people (especially Taiwanese adults/parents) could learn.

Glad that things worked out for you and your son.

I would find the adult and hit him very hard. Then I would go to the police station and report him. Hitting the adult would get rid of the some of the frustration and maybe teach him a lesson. If you go to the police first, then you could lose the chance of hitting him. Hit him first. He deserves it and you will get away with it for sure. Especially in Taiwan.

That’s just wonderful advice- turn a less violent situation into a much more violent, hate-filled, and possibly bloody mess. I hope you don’t have children yet. :loco:

Fantastic, Igor! :bravo:

That’s wonderful.

As the others have stated, you handled this in an exemplary fashion (certainly better than I would have… its easy to give advice, but difficult to follow the same).

You now have the satisfaction of knowing that 1) you did the right thing, 2) the other party knows that he did the wrong thing (a very difficult admission to obtain), 3) he appreciates your way of handling the matter (rather than stewing in his anger and bitterness at you), 4) the school is aware of the situation and presumably will take appropriate measures to prevent a similar event from occurring again, and perhaps most importantly… you have demonstrated to your son 1) your willingness to defend him and his rights and 2) have taught him a lesson by wonderful example.

Good for you!

Igor -
Very glad to hear that this matter has been brought to a good conclusion.
A good example for your child and for all involved.

My congratulations. :bravo:

Thanks to all for your wonderful comments. Like TM said, I do feel good, looking back, regarding the way I have handled it (which is in no small measure because of your help guys).
Most important is, the situation as been resolved in a civilized manner, the guy did feel sorry, appologized and paid the medical bill, the principal is looking into school security.
Should I go now and hit him or should I have done it? I don’t think so.
I really think he learned a good lesson.

I think we all did.

One final bit of advice. Seeing as the guy was so willing to admit his mistake and to apologize for the same… if you see him again, I would go out of my way to tell him that I respect his behavior and acknowledge that it takes a big person to admit such a mistake. Doing so will ensure that there are no hard feelings or lingering resentment.

It took me all day to read through this thread while doing other things. It’s been on my mind all day, too. I think the op did a wonderful job of handeling things and I’m not sure I could have done as well.

I keep wondering about something. Aside from the fact that the father of the girl was way out of line in his way of dealing with the marking problem, do you think that the op’s boy was targeted because of his being mixed raced? I’m assuming that, I don’t know the op.

Maybe to some it doesn’t mater why he was targeted by the other father, but to me it does. I find that I’m very sensitive to how others treat my son. If he’s naughty, that’s one thing. But if he’s just mixed and someone needs a scapegoat, that’s quite another!

Housecat, although there were several instances reported by the teacher of other kids teasing my son for not being “a real Taiwanese” or being called “Mei guo run”, when in fact I am from Yugoslavia or maybe I should say Bosnia nowadays, I don’t think that particular incident was “race” related.
Kids tease other kids a lot and when that happens to my kid i just explain to him the best I can what the other kids mean when they say he is not a real taiwanese or other things like that.
Mind you though, the teacher reported several time, my son teasing others, so he is far from being an angel and what I tried to teach him from last week incident is that what goes around comes around and he should definitly learn something from it, and treat others the way he wants to be treated, he too learned his lesson, believe me. :wink:

Thanks to you for bringing this here and allowing us to see what we ourselves are made of.

Good for you and good for him for seeing the light.

And I cannot agree more with this:

[quote]
One final bit of advice. Seeing as the guy was so willing to admit his mistake and to apologize for the same… if you see him again, I would go out of my way to tell him that I respect his behavior and acknowledge that it takes a big person to admit such a mistake. Doing so will ensure that there are no hard feelings or lingering resentment.[/quote]

I suggest dinner. :slight_smile:

Sorry about my response to that. Just made me angry. What you did was clearly the right thing.

Maybe more will be done though. Doing something like that and getting away with it by saying, “Sorry” is just not acceptable though.

Anyway.

Eat, Drink, Man, Woman.

I agree with this statment except I would change “file charges” to " beat the crap out of him."
I’m not a violent man by nature but someimes people need to be put in their place. I’ve been lowered a few notches myself from time to time and I can honestly say I probably needed and deserved it and it has helped me grow. When using violence against another you mut be absolutly sure it is appropiate for the circumstances.

If he was sorry I would shake hands with him front of my daughter and call it a day.