What You MUST bring to Taiwan from Canada!

I am getting geared to move to Taipei at the end of August. Maybe some of you can give me some pointers of what I must bring from Canada. Also some extras that will be useful to bring.

Thanks,
Jeff

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … g&&start=0

Hockey stick, padding, jersey.

Passport

money…don’t expect it to fall from the sky when you arrive…you’ll need to live for say…three months…

Donuts, lots and lots of donuts

Patience mate, lots and lots and lots of patience!

Patience mate, lots and lots and lots of (extra) patience!

It is all here within reason.

Passport, credit card, 3 months funds. Say USD1,000 month and you could be comfortable. Depends on rent. Can be very low if you share. Rough, really rough, say USD200 a month upward.

Food can be incredibly cheap. Count on similar costs to a night out anywhere in the world if you want to go to pubs etc that expats frequent.

Bring what you are doing now. Some advance knowledge of the living hell you are about to experience. :smiling_imp:

Or, the great experience where you examine other cultures and learn a lot and have fun. :sunglasses:

Peace and love.

deodorant and clamato juice.

And I thought I was the only one who drank that! :bravo:

And I thought I was the only one who drank that! :bravo:[/quote]
I thought ALL Canadians drank that stuff! It’s as Canadian as poutine and ice wine!

crib board,vitamins (overpriced here),credit card

And I thought I was the only one who drank that! :bravo:[/quote]
I thought ALL Canadians drank that stuff! It’s as Canadian as poutine and ice wine![/quote]

Sure Chris, next hiking outing we’ll stop by a swimming hole for a clamato and ice wine. Kitty and I can mix poutine and dried tofu together for snacks. :smiley:

A sense of humour and an open mind

a return ticket :laughing:

Great anwser!
:notworthy:

Practical:

Credit card, emergency numbers for home, all travel documents, original copy of your University Degree, Canadian Drivers license, lube, one great book you always wanted to read, a sense of adventure, chill pills, Qtips, first aid kit.

When you get here get a friggin map and MRT pass on day one.
If you have no friends waiting for you here, get some. Best is a long-term ex-pat or a local willing to help baby-sit you for the first month.

After 6 months I was craving Kraft dinner, real granola, vitamins, poutine, the snow, it passed.

If you insist on eating western food your food costs will be huge, if you can assimilate to the local food and learn what works for you…
Way cheaper!

Use this place as a resource, not just for jobs, for advice, places to live links to Government sites etc.

No matter what happens to you here someone else has already gone through it and maybe if you ask nice they will give you some solid bankable advice.

[color=blue]Remember that darkness at month 3 is called culture shock, it will pass, just slug through it.[/color]

[color=red]Most Important!!:[/color] remember you are an ambassador for our country, culture and way of life, try an act like it.

Taiwan does not need another arrogant, meathead, fuc stick drinking and fucking his way into infamy and furthering the negative stereotype.

good luck :wink:

Don’t bring your mother. She’ll just get in the way.
Don’t bring weed. It’s against the law. Definitely don’t bring weed over to my house and sell it to me where we would share a joint. You could go to jail for a long time and it’s punishable by death.

I’ve been in Taiwan one day and as a hardcore fan of briefs, I will say the following:

“Subtropical summers and testes don’t mix. Wear boxers while in Taiwan.”

~sigh~

I feel like such a sellout.

Maple syrup cookies! I’m serious!