What's a "Germany Beurgel"? (Starbucks pastry)

Okay, I gotta ask this: What is a “Germany Beurgel” which you can buy at Starbucks now?
I know the correct spelling should be “German …” but what the heck is a “beurgel”!? :shock:

Maybe you can asked them yourself… :wink:
After they told ya what it is, maybe you can correct them on the right spelling???

Well he’s like McDonald’s Hamburgler except he works for Starbucks

hence a German Beurgel[er]. That is also a play on the word Burger or Berger, which means he is also the Mayor. Hence he is Mayor Ma who can be bought for NT at Starbucks aka MS aka the Society for World Domination by the Washingtonite (ie Huskies).

But I still can’t figure what it’s supposed to be. It tastes nice though.

does it just look like a fricking bagel (you know, that toric shape) and you’re not telling us?

Maybe it’s Dutch peasant pastry so they named it after Brueghel, but got the Germans mixed up with the Flemish (or Dutch or the Lowlands people) and then changed the spelling to avoid paying royalty.\

Are you sure it’s not BUERGEL?

How about Bear Gel?

It looks like a croissant (crescent shape). Pardon my French.

don’t you mean a kwa [spit][gurgle] ssaunt! (I loved how John Cleese does his faux French accent.

As for Beur… I didn’t make this up

or simpler a beur blanc. which sounds to me like beurre or butter. i dunno. Damn it Jim, I’m a bum, not a chef.

Is this just some sort of a Strudel? That would fit with the German thing.
Is there a filling? if so, what kind?

Speaking of which, where can I find good brot und bockwurst. hmmm. (homer simpson salivation/salutation/saltation)

Neither Beurgel nor Buergel (or B

[quote=“Rascal”]Neither Beurgel nor Buergel (or B

I give up on pastry in Taiwan. There is no pastry in Taiwan.

Next to the German bread, my Starbucks has the thing with olives on it and the sign says, “Oliver Bread”.

rascal, why didn’t don’t you just ask the clerk at Starbux what it is? And then tell us. If you don’t ask, you wil never know. Ask…and ye shall receive.

As if the clerk knew or cares how it’s spelled. :wink: And with my non-existing Chinese I better not dare to ask.

Though we borrow foreign names (like crossaint) the word “Beurgel” (or more likely “Buergel”) does not sound at all like a Germanized word nor have I ever seen such a thing in Germany before.
It could be a regional item but it’s unheard of by all Germans I asked. So I wonder what is “German” about it?

Oh well, nevermind, as long as it tastes ok … :slight_smile:

well i stopped by Starbucks.

and saw the darn thing.

1. looks like you have spelled it wrong or the place did. the place I went to called it a “German BEUGEL” (although sounds dutch to me)
  2. it’s definitely not a trad. croissant like the puffy french butter pastry.
    But it is crescent shaped.

a search of the word turned up:

A Viennese Coffee shop has the item described as:

So I guess it’s a Austrian bagel-croissant. Wow. what a complete waste of time.

I could swear my Starbucks had a “r” in it though … :?

Strange, the German word for bracelet is “Armband” or “Armreif” and none of the online dictionaries knows “beugel”, even a search on German websites only didn’t turn up anything.
But I eventually found it - on the advertising page of an Austrian bagel shop and it is, as you explained, based on that. Beugel means a bend pastry, i.e. in the shape of a stirrup, invented in Austria and made famous in the US as bagel.

BTW: Found beugel on dutch websites, too, but has a different meaning (latch, locking mechanism).

History lesson about the bagel over - though I will go to Starbucks and demand they rename it intro “Austrian Bagel”. :wink: