What's a reasonable amount to pay for a date?

Just curious what everyone’s cut off would be. My top top would probably be 2000NT, but I’d try stick to 1000 if I could, for two.

What date are we talking? First date, then no don’t go to a restaurant that’s too expensive… not just because it’s hard on your wallet, but it’s also a bit creepy/desperate seeming. So, sure about 1,500 NTD would be a cap for a first date.

If it’s someone you’ve been romantically involved with for a while then obviously you should be prepared to go much higher… but at that point you should be taking turns treating each other.

4 Likes

For the first few dates, day first through to third if I had to put a number on it.

For the first date I wouldn’t go out to eat, but maybe for the second and third one I would.

Yes, then I wouldn’t pay more than 1,500 NTD (unless there was cocktails involved as that would raise the price). You should also let her pay the next time (if she refuses and waits for you to pay, then she’s looking for a sugar daddy, not a boyfriend).

1 Like

I think 1000 for her meal give or take a few hundred is appropriate for a first date. I’m against going to somewhere too nice for the first date.

As mentioned, depends what sort of date it is, innit. 1000-2000 is probably fine for a first date. And I’d agree it’s better to aim for the low end, but if it goes well and you end up buying alcohol or whatever then obviously more money is involved. I wouldn’t get too hung up on budgeting in this sort of situation.

2 Likes

Depends on what you expect post dinner. :laughing:

4 Likes

Ha! Your low end is my high end. I’d try a cheaper (but still good) place to gauge the date’s taste.

Put otherwise: no need to go full Taïroir on a first date. :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

1000 is plenty, even if both super size the meals and add fried chicken.

8 Likes

1000ntd is about a moderate restaurant for a persons meal. Nothing fancy and stuffy but nice enough to feel like you’re making some effort.

It’s not something I budget for. Just an idea of how much it would costs for my idea of an appropriate place for a first date.

This is how you lifehack a first date on a budget.

2 Likes

One of the best dates I ever had involved going to KFC. Her treat. The date was memorable for what happened prior to the KFC, but in retrospect, maybe she was giving me marks out of 10.

2 Likes

My man, money has nothing to do with it. If there’s a vibe, there’s a vibe. You can spend 6k at Smith & Wollensky and not impress her. You can spend $200 at a night market and she’ll think you’re amazing. It’s up to you, not your money.

12 Likes

Is Smith & Wolensky a gun shop?

7 Likes

Maybe think about what kind of girl she is and what kind of guy you are and not what budget you got.

If she’s someone who enjoys the finer things in life, you won’t get far taking her camping in most cases. Same the other way around. Pick something that you think is what you’d like and what she’d like to do and eat. If it’s not a match; you’re probably not a match.

5 Likes

1000 ntd or so if I expect to pay next date too or not sure there will be s second date …

I already paid like 30k ntd once, which better said was her flight ticket but we had never met before…

Once spent like 500 euros on a first date for a weekend together. Got afraid about her family’s political power and became friends only (and I didn’t even know the details yet). Next time she invited me and it was likely. 20-30 times as expensive as our first weekend. I had matched with her because she had pictures with loads of sport superstars… But no am affair with a daughter of a top 10 in importance Chinese politician scares the hell out of me. …

In general as everywhere it depends on the status. Chose a young girl with loads of Instagram followers, and you end up paying a lot. Maybe cheaper to buy a couple grand followers on your insta first. Date a girl older your age or with children and it may be opposite.
Haha plus the normal in Taiwan, if I insist on speaking Chinese I end up paying way more often than if I agree to speak English. I sometimes see a date as a cheap Chinese class too …

Woolloomooloo is a great place for dates in Taipei. Mains about 500ntd

camping is one of the finer things in life!

2 Likes

I like it with the right people and the right place. But plenty of people would hate it.

1 Like

150 twd should get you bubble tea for 2 persons and gasoline to drive her on scooter for a view

2 Likes