What's important to you when choosing a car?

I find that’s not the case at all, especially not for most dudes who are really into cars - anyone into the car scene knows this, as you go to a car show to show off to all the other car dudes there showing off their rides. :smiley: The exception was waaaay back in the day - hot import nights. :heart_eyes:

Uh, no.

Basically "everybody else’s hobbies and luxuries that they spend money on but I don’t like makes them a financial idiot "

Or just their priorities. The omelet, like many here, has done some world travelling - plenty of people don’t want to “waste” money doing that. And on the topic of cars, he has one and doesn’t understand the walkability craze and people who prioritize not having one. :wink: We have a damn fine whiskey thread, while many people find fine booze a waste of money. Lots of people don’t understand spending money on fine food. Or nice clothes. Or two ply toilet paper when 1 ply will do.

Haha, you should be. We’ve had good luck with one ve, and very, very bad luck with another. Did you get the dsg? That thing sucks to service.

4 Likes

lol, because of the great climate? Nothing rusts in that dry, salt-free atmosphere?

2 Likes

Should be old and cheap, but old is the more important of the two.

Age buys you less (superfluous crap), and less is more.

I’m not saying new cars are garbage, but the best of them are inevitably burdened with stuff I don’t need, a lot of it fragile, incomprehensible and un-repairable.

4 Likes

I used to sneer at “the wife insisted” jive, especially if/when coming from a guy spending his own money.

BUT yesterday I test drove a 30 year old Datsun 330 pickup truck, my Taiwan dream car, though this was a pretty rough example and ran like a bag of bolts, though the seller claimed it hadn’t been started for a month or three.

Quarter lights, wing mirrors…my hearts in pain…

Still sorely tempted, BUT foreigners can’t register trucks so it would have had to be registered in the GF’s name, who was NOT keen.

Perhaps if I had grovelled more…

3 Likes

Yeh, but Yurrap’s got France in it. And Italy…nuff said?

1 Like

The final TT comes in only one spec - expensive with bang and louder and navigation and Napa leather and DSG for 53000 plus tax and license adding about 11pct so about 59k out the door

This is near double a similarly specced Crosstrek
And over
10 years and say 150000 the crosstrek should be half the costs or less to buy and run
May have to treat the audi as a weekend car after the warranty runs out as dealers charge 295 per hour labor so most repairs run 1200 to 4500 dollars ! Course there are non dealer German car
mechanics which may be half that

Anything Benz Bmw Audi Porsche is serious money to keep running after
Say 100k miles

The smart money only leases them But then after
3 years and 30000 dollars you just give up the car

I may lease then decide if to keep it but this way it ultimately costs more, many thousands more

I hear horror stories of German car repair bills

The crosstrek is not without any worries as the CVt transmission has a higher than ideal failure rate
And replacement is about 7k and that may happen close to 100k miles and also the gasket may leak around that time too which costs around 3000 to replace

So it’s recommended synthetic oil change every 3000 miles at 110 a pop at jiffy lube or more

1 Like

Start practicing
Groveling is a learned skill

2 Likes

I was not even thinking about those two…

1 Like

That fucker is a killer. Over $100 in fluids to DIY, and it’s a freaking pain in the ass. Needed every 40k, and if you don’t diy, you’ll be lucky if a dealer charges less than $400 (iirc, the service books at 1.5hrs). Combine that with full synthetic oil change and filters every 10k, and you’ll be lucky to leave your every 40k service for less than $1k

I have a few friends with porches, and while maintenance and repairs are expensive, those things seem to require very few repairs. The others though…

2 Likes

Wait. What?

1 Like

That. Do a search. There are lots of depressing, and contradictory threads on it.

I believe there are work-arounds involving registration to a trade association.

Maybe also if you have your own business here you can swing it.

1 Like

Yeh, well a porch will usually be OK with a wipe down with some woodstain every season, as long as no timber is in ground contact.

Cars can be a bit more onerous.

4 Likes

Well, I found a couple. First is a long discussion, but last updated in May 2010; second last updated in Feb. 2008, but says very little about registration.

1 Like

Like a volkswagon van.

2 Likes

Foreigners can have trucks. Taiwans rules are trucks must be work related and only one per person. Regardless of passport type and even for taiwanese. Companies can have more.

Just prove you need a truck for work. Teachers need not apply unless one teaches trades maybe?

3 Likes

There are/were others, but I find the search function here to be pretty flakey, so they may not be findable.

The conclusion. IIRC, was as outlined above. It can be done but there are legal hoops to jump through

1 Like

For Taiwan, cheap, something I don’t care about so I feel comfortable parking on the street.

2 Likes

… is to me not at all the same as …

2 Likes

Careful buddy I have a Prius C and I love it
My wife hates it
She will get the TT
I’m getting her Prius C

It’s quite comfortable riding even if the suspension clunks a bit as it loses travel

It’s pedal to metal to get to 70mph but then it finds its second wind and it just goes and goes up to a top speed of 90mph. It can probably go faster but it’s only stable up to that speed

If going to Tahoe it zooms on the flats and downhills but uphill slogs get in line with the big trucks

It takes a bit of skill and finesse to manage it properly on the drive to Tahoe and that’s part of the fun

Car cost me 25000 to buy out the door and at 7 years and 90000 miles it has not cost any money in repairs only oil changes every 8000 km and tires every 3 years or 60000km

It does an average of 48 mpg or around 20 kilo per liter which is what my Honda moped did in the 70s
Truly amazing gas saving

I think I should have spent 2 k more and gotten the regular Prius though but I’m liking my C

Obviously it’s no match to the TT though in anything except mpg

1 Like

Why wasn’t I consulted about this!?

Well, I’m getting old now, not what I used to be :wink:

6 Likes