What's in Hualian to see?

So, my fiancee wants to go to Hualian for a couple of days after we have our wedding banquet (I’ve never really toured Taiwan at all)… what’s there to do there? She says there’s some coupons she can buy for some 5 star hotel. Anyone use the coupons she speaks of? What kind of restrictions are there?

thanks.

The drive along the coast on highway 11 from Hualien to Taidong is really beautiful. It’s very popular with cyclists now.

There is a magazine and a website called highway 11 that focuses on this. You might want to check it out.

Wiki Travel continues to grow, and the info on Taiwan is pretty damn good. http://wikitravel.org/en/Hualien

Bugger, the link doesn’t work because of Forumosa’s wanky auto pinyin changer.
:imp:
Hualian should be -i-e-n

That’s a truly annoying example of why the Pinyin Nazi should be turned off.

not too much actually IN Hualian, AFAIR, but there are plenty of things NEAR Hualian. Taroko, and whale watching, for example. Also, in Hualian itself there is a small open air rail museum near the station. little more than a few old steam trains to climb on.

Basically, when people say they’re going to Hualian, they often mean Taroko. Not a bad time to go now, actually. Not too crowded.

Yeah, the auto-censor messed up a couple of links in one of Cranky’s posts the other day.

Around the back of the air force base is a little aquarium thingy dedicated to the Hualian fishing industry.
Better entertainment can be found watching the F16’s taking off from the air force base though.
Also just a long from the aquarium is a café come restaurant place that specializes in coffees and teas made with goats milk.
Warning the place stunk bad, even by Taiwan standards…and some of that smell seemed to carry over to the coffee.

Thanks all for your insights into “Hualien!” Now has anyone purchased the “coupons” that are supposedly on sale currently? From what I understood (half listening to my fiancee over skype (me on my cell phone)), you can buy discounted coupons at say 50% of the value of the regular rate of the hotels and then simply present the coupon as payment on checkout since the 50% value was already paid for. Hope I understood that correctly

Not sure if there are limitations as to when the coupons can be used. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are restrictions of use during off peak times. I’m just taking whatever my fiancee says as is since I don’t live in Taiwan. Just want to make sure we don’t get taken advantaged of is all as my fiancee can be a wee bit naive.

Well, TW has a lot of discount programs when it comes to travel and entertainment. Not familiar with the one you mention, though do know that reservations made with my credit card net me substantial discounts at a lot of hotels around the island, as do reward programs, etc…

So, I’ve been talking to my fiancee more today and she showed me this Hualien Ocean Park hualienoceanpark.com.tw/uplo … 660118.gif

Anyone been there? She says there’s some tour thingy that has a package deal… she also wants to stay at this hotel for the second night… plcresort.com.tw/tour-2.htm

The room rate is usually around 6000+/night but the discount is around 3900NT for each hotel. I guess this is our mini honeymoon…

Anyone been there?

I checked out Taroko and the tunnels/waterfalls looks interesting.

OK, for the love of god, do not let your fiancee talk you into the Ocean Park. It’s unbelievably overpriced and you will both be disappointed and angry when you leave. It’s nothing more than a typical western midway at Disney-esque prices. Stay far away.

Promised Land Resort is crazy good. if you can stay for some sort of affordable deal, go for it. Seriously. It’s amazing.

A few recommendations beyond Taroko:

Jici Beach about 30 km south of Hualien.
Liyu Lake (Rent a bike or a canoe, otherwise it’s boring)
Tongmen
Highway 193 south to Guang Fu.
Shitiping Fishing Village south of Jici.

Seriously. Put your foot down about Ocean Park. It’s a colossal waste of money.

Ecaps

Not a bad spot. I liked it.

[quote=“cestmoi”]Anyone been there? She says there’s some tour thingy that has a package deal… she also wants to stay at this hotel for the second night… plcresort.com.tw/tour-2.htm

The room rate is usually around 6000+/night but the discount is around 3900NT for each hotel. I guess this is our mini honeymoon…[/quote]

I stayed here. Excellent hotel. Not sure if it’s the same one.

The entire eastern part of the island is absolutely gorgeous. I way prefer it to Kenting and it deserves much more than just one trip.

When I went to Taroko, I hired a taxi driver to take me on a sight-seeing tour over two days. She picked me up at 9AM and dropped me off at 6PM. She was fully proficient in English and only charged NT$2000 per day. I wouldn’t have know what to look for otherwise. I saw everything there was to see in Taroko. I have her number if anyone needs it.

[quote=“Ecaps”]
Shitiping Fishing Village south of Jici.[/quote]

Yup, well worth a look, if not only to get a photo by a sign with that name on it. :laughing:

[quote=“Ecaps”]OK, for the love of god, do not let your fiancee talk you into the Ocean Park. It’s unbelievably overpriced and you will both be disappointed and angry when you leave. It’s nothing more than a typical western midway at Disney-esque prices. Stay far away.

Promised Land Resort is crazy good. if you can stay for some sort of affordable deal, go for it. Seriously. It’s amazing.

A few recommendations beyond Taroko:

Jici Beach about 30 km south of Hualian.
Liyu Lake (Rent a bike or a canoe, otherwise it’s boring)
Tongmen
Highway 193 south to Guang Fu.
Shitiping Fishing Village south of Jici.

Seriously. Put your foot down about Ocean Park. It’s a colossal waste of money.

Ecaps[/quote]

That’s what I figured looking at the website for Ocean Park. The hotel near that Ocean Park has a package of about $5200/night for two, including admissions to the Ocean Park. She was whining about going since she’s been everywhere except that park. In my conversation with her yesterday, I had just wanted to just go straight to the Promised Land resort as it looked far more promising than what the Ocean Park has to offer. I don’t know what the fascination is with staying at different hotels on different nights. Big whoop.

And that SHITIping fishing village sounds like a must-see - a picture with a story to tell the grandkids! Hahaha.

Thanks for the confirmation about Ocean Park!

Hey Jim, would you mind sending me that taxi driver’s contact info? We haven’t decided whether to drive down or take the train. Did you use the taxi from Taipei or …?

[quote=“bismarck”]

I stayed here. Excellent hotel. Not sure if it’s the same one.

The entire eastern part of the island is absolutely gorgeous. I way prefer it to Kending and it deserves much more than just one trip.[/quote]

Nice hotel! What was the name? If you can remember it, would be great!

Thanks!

Hey Jim, would you mind sending me that taxi driver’s contact info? We haven’t decided whether to drive down or take the train. Did you use the taxi from Taipei or …?[/quote]

Taking a taxi from Taipei to Hualien would be more expensive than flying. No, I took a train. Word to the wise: I booked my train ticket, but neglected to specify that I wanted a seat. Now, one would rationally assume that a seat would be assigned, but this is no rational country. So I basically had to stand for the 4 hour trip. (Actually I sat on the floor. Nonetheless, very uncomfortable.). My taxi driver picked me up at the station by prior arrangement and drove me to my hotel. Her husband’s number is 0937832817. I think he runs the family taxi company. Enjoy!

[quote=“jimipresley”]

Taking a taxi from Taipei to Hualian would be more expensive than flying. No, I took a train. Word to the wise: I booked my train ticket, but neglected to specify that I wanted a seat. Now, one would rationally assume that a seat would be assigned, but this is no rational country. So I basically had to stand for the 4 hour trip. (Actually I sat on the floor. Nonetheless, very uncomfortable.). My taxi driver picked me up at the station by prior arrangement and drove me to my hotel. Her husband’s number is 0937832817. I think he runs the family taxi company. Enjoy![/quote]

Thanks! By the way, that $2000NT rate per day… when was that? Not like 10yrs ago I hope?!

Nah. Last year. They’re a poorer lot in the east.