What's next?

Greetings. There’s a wealth of information & knowledge on this forum … but it’s overwhelming at times and hard to piece together exactly what I need or want to know, so here’s hoping one of you nice people would give me some of your time.

I have all the relevant documents necessary to apply for a Resident Visa (Alien Spouse of ROC Citizen). I’m picking up the health test results next week and then I’ll apply for the visa.

Are there any other procedures/applications I need to go through/make after receiving my ARC ? What about working legally ? Do I need to apply for a work permit as well ? I’ve read elsewhere on the forums that technically I should, however I can work legally without doing this. Is that correct ? APRC - What’s that ? And what other important (and I suppose the less important) things should I be aware of ?

Please excuse my blatant ignorance :s
And thanks in advance for any help !

You are right. This question has been answered in this Forum a multitude of times.

Nevertheless, we are always anxious to have the latest input … hence, may I suggest that at your leisure you stroll over to the Council of Labor Affairs (No. 83 Yan Ping N. Rd., Sec. 2, Datong District, Taipei City 103, Taiwan ) and recheck exactly what the current laws and regulations do actually mean, how they are enforced, and what to do when one encounters “conflicting interpretations” from other government departments or ministries??

If you can then give us a full and detailed posting here describing the details of what you have found out, we will be most appreciative.

Very tactful way to avoid directly saying; “You’re lazy” :s I know Richard. I was hoping for a few quick answers …

Is the following information I’ve picked up through some threads/official websites/etc correct perhaps ?

  1. Apply For Resident Visa

  2. After receiving the visa, apply for an ARC & Re-Entry Permit within 15 days. Or do I need to apply for a JFRV ? Or is this a step before/after applying for/receiving the ARC ?

  3. Repeat Household Registration including new ARC details (Is this really necessary as I’ve only seen it mentioned once and long timer Brian [Bu Lai En] wasn’t aware of it ?)

  4. Am I correct in understanding the first ARC is only valid for a year and then the next one could possibly be 3 years, depending on which office you visit/who you deal with ?

  5. I’m reading a lot of conflicting information on working, specifically teaching with a JFRV ARC (which is what I’d need to get) … and thanks again for the address Richard … but is this confusion any clearer than it used to be last year ? Can I teach or does the MOE have the last say ? I’m led to believe the answer to the latter question is NO, but please correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks again.


The JFRV is what you did in step 1. Joining Family Resident Visa. Your ARC will be based on your resident visa, in this case a JFRV. JFRV ARC is a shorthand of saying that your ARC is based on a JFRV.

If you were already on the household registration before this process, you don’t need to do it again.

It depends how long you’ve been married. If you are newlywed it will be one year the first time, 3 years the second. I registered with the Taipei City police office and got 1 year the first time and 3 years the second.

You do not need a work permit if you have a JFRV ARC according the employment services act, but from what I understand MOE has separate requirements which is where the confusion may come in. I don’t know the details of this, not having taught.

‘Word on the Street’ is that work rights are largely dependent on the feelings of the local foreign police - here in Taichung I was specifically told that I didn’t need an Article 51 open work permit and that they were thus no longer available. But in other places other people have apparently been told different things.

  1. JFRV is a Joining Family Resident Visa. Go get your ARC.
  2. Changing TIHR(Taiwan’s Insane Household Registration) to show ARC details? First I’ve heard of it.
  3. Yes.
  4. Here is how it was told to me by a captain of the Taichung Foreign Police.

You can work anywhere subject to professional qualifications. That means you can teach, etc at no personal risk of deportation, fines, etc.

However, MOE regulates kindergartens, and they have rules that English cannot be taught in kindergartens, subject to large fines, review of license, etc, FOR THE KINDY. In short when the police come and catch you teaching the little ones, nothing will happen to you, but the school will have to pay a pretty penny. Thus you will still be expected to run, etc. But you need not do anything too crazy as nothing worse than job loss is likely to happen to you personally.

However, some posts here and there have told me that Taichung is fairly liberal in this regard and that other places still offer Article 51 permits and threaten to deport you for teaching in kindergartens. At any rate, ask your local foreign police when you get your ARC.

Understood. Thanks. I have a few follow up questions if you don’t mind …

[quote]The JFRV is what you did in step 1. Joining Family Resident Visa. Your ARC will be based on your resident visa, in this case a JFRV. JFRV ARC is a shorthand of saying that your ARC is based on a JFRV.

So, I apply for the JFRV before the ARC. Is the JFRV application done at BOCA (3~5 Fl., 2-2 Chi-Nan Rd., Sec. 1, Taipei , Taiwan, ROC) and the ARC application at FAP (near Ximending for Taipei) ? Couldn’t find any info online how long these applications take. Any ideas ?

As far as I know, that goes for Taipei as well. The particular school I was refering to is not registered as a kindergarten.

But ofcourse. It’s just that it changes depending on who you ask, as like with pretty much anything ‘official’ in Taiwan. Very frustrating. Thanks again.

It took one week for the JFRV and one day for the ARC for me, though that was about 2 years ago. And that is assuming you have all the required paperwork ready. For me it was getting all the documentation prepared that was the hard part. Once you have all your papers, it should be smooth sailing.