What's not covered by NHI?

So many questions…

Fortunately my house is about to be flooded so I have lots of time while I watch the water edge closer and closer toward my door. I doubt I’ll be seeing any dreams this night?

ING, formerly ETNA. I got the insurance right after the earthquake (9/21/1999). Story of a Newfoundlander who died and the financial difficulties of bringing his body home freaked me out a little so I decided to buy life insurance. They convinced me to buy a package which included disability and accidents. I honestly have no idea how they calculate the benefit. The hospital gives me a paper in Chinese, I bring it to the insurance company and they give me a cheque.

Hospitals get paid to keep you in as long as they can. I also had the surrounding flesh at the back of the throat removed so they told me they were worried about potential bleeding. My aunt, who was a health care professional in Canada, backed this up.

Private rooms were 2400/night. Doubles were 1200/night. With life to live over I’d have either taken the private and shelled out the extra cash, or paid nothing and took my chances, because if you are a light sleeper a semi-private room is about the same as the front lobby.

You may. I have no answer for you though for I do not know. If I had to guess I’d say knife. There was a whole lot of stuff missing when I woke up. General anaesthetic, yes.

Kaohsiung Veteran’s General Hospital.

As far as I know, they don’t.

Mine will not raise in terms of Taiwan dollars. I don’t even think in terms of other currency anymore. (EDIT: Mine costs 18 000 per year)

Cheetah

Yours too?

I’m Canadian. What the hell is an FA cup. The only cup that matters to us is called Stanley.

Lord Lucan
lets start from the back end first ( was married
but ran out of variety ).
great sense of humour. surprised at the
revelation of your age - in case your father didn’t
tell you, yes your chewing gum does lose it’s flavour.
business -
have a small bit of paper the boss gave me after my
hospital stay last summer:
"Hospotal fee:
ambulance $1500
stay in hospital (2 nights ) 1800 hospital registry (?) 600
$3900 ‘I paid’ " (God bless her )
no mention of semi-private room (the’lump’ was
out more than me),intravenous, three shapes/colours pills
and cute giiggly nurses.
now you’ve put a lot of pesonal effort into this question,
certainly for personal recompense.
so i only hope digging into details allows you to share your
wealth (of information).
your GH doesn’t mention the option of “deductible”.
previous poster has mentioned that his insurer reduces
premiums for increased deductible.
i can afford U$500 or U$1000 for being maimed
it’s the realy big frostbites that i’m concerned about.
parting shot -
my coverage may include aromatherapy, vitamin therapy?
and how do i buy “wellbeing” except imported beer?
one thing getting old shows some of us -
it isn’t true that the good die young

i can spell hospital, just can’t type hospital.
and while i’m here how do i change that
" ink still … " stigma?

Where can I get some of what your on?

Hospitals get paid to keep you in as long as they can. I also had the surrounding flesh at the back of the throat removed so they told me they were worried about potential bleeding. My aunt, who was a health care professional in Canada, backed this up.
[/quote]
I was told that my hospital stay would be 3 or 4 days, for what in parts of the western world is outpatient surgery. When I asked why this was so, the surgeon said that prior to NHI, they also often did the procedure as outpatient. Somehow, NHI changed that. Although I could not quite manage outpatient, because I was required to check in the night before, I did leave the same day of the procedure with the consent of the doc. It is negotiable. The only effect on the bill was reduced room charges (one night vs. more).

Private rooms were 2400/night. Doubles were 1200/night. With life to live over I’d have either taken the private and shelled out the extra cash, or paid nothing and took my chances, because if you are a light sleeper a semi-private room is about the same as the front lobby.
[/quote]
Some rates that I saw ranged from $2,500 to $4,500 (roughly) for a few types of semi-private to private at a hospital in Taipei. As far as the recommendation goes to get a private room, I cannot agree more strongly. The lack of awareness of and concern for other people that I witness daily in and around the city, of course, transfered directly into a hospital room. While pleasant, the nurses were as bad as the other patients and families. Running up and down the halls giggling and playing with co-workers. Families and nurses talking as loud as they want at any hour of the night, etc. It truly seemed as if they all thought they were the only people on the planet. And here, it is quite routine for family members to sleep with/stay with patients overnight, even in a non-private room. Picture a 3-patient room and use your imagination.

If you have to stay more than one night, and maybe even then, get a private room. Even if you have to spend your food money for the next two weeks.

On a more positive, though equally factual note: The attention that I received from the team in the operating room seemed first rate. They actually doted on me, almost too much. Lots of staff, always someone explaining to me, in English, what would happen next. Careful to ask me to “please wait a minute” anytime they were not actively doing something for me. Nice attention to detail.

I’m Canadian. What the hell is an FA cup. The only cup that matters to us is called Stanley.[/quote]
American, Coffee (actually for me, hot chocolate).

My concern here is that you want to leave the germ ridden hospital environment ASAP. Hospital is where you’re going to have the best chance of picking up one of the new super bugs that could kill you.

I feel a rant coming on here (from me) One of the first things you pick up in Taiwan is the “no consideration for others” rule applied by the local community in all facets of life. Why? I can’t understand it at all.

[quote=“seeker4”]On a more positive, though equally factual note: The attention that I received from the team in the operating room seem first rate. They actually doted on me, almost too much. Lots of staff, always someone explaining to me, in English, what would happen next. Careful to ask me to “please wait a minute” anytime they were not actively doing something for me. Nice attention to detail.
[/quote]

Agreed. Almost without exception the Taiwanese hospital nurses and doctors I’ve met have been lovely caring people.

old canuck: Lonnie Donnegan is timeless, like Victory Vs, and leather sheepskin-lined slippers.

My insurance pays for treatment/accomodation in a private hospital, but I can’t find one that is purely private. Where do all the movie stars and top gangsters go for treatment?

navillus:
Where can I get some of what you’re on?

• at 7-11, Kirin beer.
    Lord Lucan
    Wher do all the movie stars and top gangsters go
    for treatment?
  • stock answer, “Where ever they want to.”

With the terrible accident and now the unsuing medical bills with MaKe (I don’t know you but my thoughts are with you and your family) I ask the question again. What specifically is not covered?

I feel almost mislead by the NHI. To me it seems strange that if I get injured that my expenses won’t be covered. Is there some sort of list of things that are covered and not covered?

I was under the false impression that if I get hurt then I am covered. Is it common knowledge amongst foreigners that this is not the case?

And somebody please post about aquiring extra insurance. I thought I was covered as well. many years of motorbike riding just makes me think that the odds are against me, especially here, no matter how carefully i go…

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]What specifically is not covered?

I feel almost mislead by the NHI. To me it seems strange that if I get injured that my expenses won’t be covered. Is there some sort of list of things that are covered and not covered?

I was under the false impression that if I get hurt then I am covered. Is it common knowledge amongst foreigners that this is not the case?[/quote]

If you have NHI most of your medical costs will be covered. Depending on what type of room you opt for and what procedures need to be performed your costs could be next to nothing. I’ve been told just now that if you are admitted to intensive care you pay less than a semi-private room but I don’t have any numbers. This is the case for the Veteran’s hospital in Kaohsiung and may be different somewhere else.

Finding an insurance salesperson ought to be about as easy as locating a little blue truck in Taiwan. Seems like every third person I meet sells insurance. It isn’t that expensive to buy some basic coverage. I would recommend it to everyone.

The real costs from a serious injury (assuming you have NHI) will probably come from lost wages and the lost wages of family members who need to be there for support. You can also buy insurance that will help to pay for these things.

I just spoke with nurse and she said the NHI covers 10% of all hospital bills.

Could this be right?

If this is correct then it would still be quite expensive if one were to sustain severe injuries and have to stay in the hospital for a long period of time.

I kind of feel that the govt. should do more to let people know about NHI’s limited coverege. Even the locals I have spoken to don’t know exactly what is and not covered. It kind of scares me thinking that I have been riding around the dangerous streets of Taiwan for years thinking I am covered in the event of an accident.

Like I said before, in Canada if I get into an accident I am covered. I don’t know about other “Universal” covereage in other countries though.

I’m trying to look into it at the moment and if I find any specific details I will post them.

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]I just spoke with nurse and she said the NHI covers 10% of all hospital bills.

Could this be right?

If this is correct then it would still be quite expensive if one were to sustain severe injuries and have to stay in the hospital for a long period of time.

I kind of feel that the govt. should do more to let people know about NHI’s limited coverege. Even the locals I have spoken to don’t know exactly what is and not covered. It kind of scares me thinking that I have been riding around the dangerous streets of Taiwan for years thinking I am covered in the event of an accident.

Like I said before, in Canada if I get into an accident I am covered. I don’t know about other “Universal” covereage in other countries though.

I’m trying to look into it at the moment and if I find any specific details I will post them.[/quote]

10% is correct.

Three years ago I had a fairly serious accident which required surgery and an overnight stay along with x-rays and the usual stuff. It ended up costing me about NT $3,000 which I thought was totally reasonable. At 10% back home that would have still been at least twice that much.

I’m not saying it couldn’t get pricey but I wouldn’t lay awake at night worrying about it.

I’ve been searching and can’t seem to find info on whether NHI covers medical bills while you are travelling abroad. Anyone?

[quote=“Eros”][quote=“Lo Bo To”]I just spoke with nurse and she said the NHI covers 10% of all hospital bills.

Could this be right?

10% is correct.

[/quote][/quote]

I think you and the nurse swapped the percentage. What I have understood from other postings before was that the NHI covers 90% and you have to pay 10% of the bill (if hospitalized less then 30 days. If you are longer in the hospital it goes up to 30%).

NHI just covering 10% would not make any sense…

[quote=“martins99”][quote=“Eros”][quote=“Lo Bo To”]I just spoke with nurse and she said the NHI covers 10% of all hospital bills.

Could this be right?

10% is correct.

[/quote]

I think you and the nurse swapped the percentage. What I have understood from other postings before was that the NHI covers 90% and you have to pay 10% of the bill (if hospitalized less then 30 days. If you are longer in the hospital it goes up to 30%).

NHI just covering 10% would not make any sense…[/quote][/quote]

Yes, you’re right. What I meant (but didn’t say correctly) was that I paid 10% and the rest was covered by NHI.

Incredibly reasonable, from my point of view.

What about IVF and other fertility treatments?

so eveveryone of you have extra insurnace from a private company? how many of you only have NHI?

We all do. The NHI only goes so far. WIth private insurance, I stayed in the hospital, in a double room for three nights with a severe blood infection, nonstop IVs, tons of blood work, xrays, and a sadistic nurse who laughed when she made me cry.

I ended up paying like 3000NTD.

Snot too bad.

I would suggest ANYONE staying in Taiwan long term, ESPECIALLY those of us married to locals, to get private insurance.

Although I am now in Shanghai, and my info is out of date for Taipei, I remember it being very difficult to get info on exactly what esoteric procedures and medicines the NHI will pay for. Medical insurance is about trust, and although I have a fair degree of faith in my insurers, Goodhealth, because they are from the UK, I believe I would be well placed to fight them through the UK courts if they let me down. Better at least than a company based elsewhere. The only advice I can really give is to ring the Head of Claims at whatever insurance company you choose and go through various scenarios with him/her and judge the response.

The bottom line for me with my insurers is that I hope they will not let me die or be horribly crippled for want of money. That they will whisk me off to Bangkok to get reasonably priced (from their point of view) and reasonably competent (from my point of view) medical treatment. They also said they rarely evacuate from Taiwan unless it is very serious indeed. They are of the belief that medical treatment is good in Taiwan when it is provided on a money-not-much-of-an-object basis. Meaning “paid for in cash by the patient or his insurers”.

There is no excess on my insurance. It only covers hospitalisation or out-patient surgery and oncology.

They cover smokers for lung cancer, by the way. The government will just shoot you. So if you are one of the 15% of lung cancer victims who has never smoked and I get the lung that you would have got but for your lack of medical insurance, then nyah nyah nyee nyah nyah.