Whats the beef with US beef?

Its not a dumb question.

US cattle pile on the pounds from more than rich high-corn feed. They get chemical help too. Slow-release hormones implanted in their ears push their metabolism to lay down more muscle faster. Appetite stimulants keep them consuming and contagious infections, which can get rampant in such crowded conditions, are kept at bay by antibiotics.

Not everyone agrees with US methods… but plenty of people do.

The Japanese have also developed a method for producing delicious and tender beef.

Thus, I don’t think the obstacle for Taiwan is environmental, but rather is a methodological.

Personally, as long as I can get my old pepperoni pizza sub back, I don’t care. Just SHOW ME DA BEEF! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“tigerman”]All of the Aussie beef I have ever eaten has been extraordinarily tough and chewy and flavorless.

Its true that the quality of USDA beef varies… but, if you’ve ever had good US beef… such as what is served at Muma, Ruth’s Chris (and I guess Lawry’s too… but, I’ve never been there)… I think you will agree that the US produces fine beef.

Have you ever been to any of those places I identified above?[/quote]

I just went to Lawry’s on Friday night. The meat was definitely tough and chewy, but I guess because of the way they cook it, it wasn’t flavorless. Still, I prefer the US beef they used to have.

englishnews.ftv.com.tw/news.asp? … 2006021302 says

[quote]
US beef went back on sale in Taiwan Monday after the lifting of an eight-month ban. Health inspectors around the country were busy ensuring that supermarkets labeled the beef

I haven’t heard anything about Japanese beef being banned since they found a bunch of mad cows. Did I miss something?

The problem is that there was a case that some beef with spinal got imported. Apparently there is a high infection risk for local cows, and err, humans cause of brains, scalps, eyes, spines and small intestines.

“As the DOH has yet to complete its inspections of pesticide residues and viruses, the 7,000kg of US beef will probably hit the market either today or tomorrow.” says Taipei Times.

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: Now the guys who want the ‘steak and blowjob’ valentine’s day can have one…

It’s banned and they should unban it as they did with US beef, and even European beef should be unbanned … different rules for … :s

I agree that the bans should be lifted as long as everyone has to go through the same inspections and play by the same rules. They may need to hire more inspectors :slight_smile:

I’m very happy to hear the ban on US beef is lifted, if indeed it is.

USDA beef (in Taiwan) rules! :rainbow:

I’ve bought some terrible beef here and the ‘least terrible’ choice has always (in my experience) been USDA.

I know it’s all about price and quality and cuts and of course some other things I know nothing about.

Maybe I should rather say that in my price league and in my experience (about NT$150 for two medallions at the RT Mart or Geant) USDA has been the best choice.

WTF? Course its safe. I eat it plenty of times a week in the USA and I aint no mad cow ! And yes its definitely safer then a ride around Taipei on a scooter. An f16 sortie into IRan is safer !!

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003457157

Some frickin lawmakers are out for personal “glory” again jumping on the bandwagon based on fears. And yet these are the same people who will decry the US for not allowing Taiwanese to enter the USA visa free? Yup same fellows, out for personal attention. Just politicians stirring up shit for personal gain as usual.

My first reaction to the China Post’s article about this was hysterical laughter, especially when I further studied William Stanton’s face (here: chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … ing-US.htm) and imagined going home to his wife and ranting, “they’ve got to f*@#ing be kidding me… have you seen the way these people drive?!”

I lived through this in Korea and it was utterly flooring. I’d be teaching a class, and if the kids didn’t know what America was (seriously) the Korean co-teacher would say something like, “you know, the place have the crazy cow”, and all the kids would croon, “oooooooooh, nay, nay nay (yes)”. THAT’S how they defined and distinguished America.

The New York Times as well as other media outlets later exposed the US beef protests as acts of extreme nationalism antagonized by local farmers and (duh) extreme nationalist groups, but I don’t think any of the Koreans cared about the truth anyway.

I expect this sort of ignorance from Korea but was surprised to see it spread to Taiwan.

The saddest thing to me is that the USA IS committing heinous criminal acts in the way it produces, handles, and raises its meat (i.e., gruesome factory farming techniques and unsafe, unsanitary conditions resulting from the few monopolizing companies looking to maximize profit at the public’s expense). If any of these Asian countries boycotted US beef for the right reasons it may actually make a difference in the American food industry’s disgusting shenanigans, thus improving the health and safety of people all over the world.

Finally! Something for my colleagues to lecture me about that’s not about “cold drinks” or “too much coffee”. :loco:

Scooter danger has been mentioned, so I won’t go there. :fume:

Same folks gobbling up pig intestines or other innards from a blue truck parked on some random street are now telling me how opposed they are to US beef. :ponder:

Pot. – Kettle. – Black. :no-no:

To put it lightly… a TW boycott on these imports will not leave so much as a ripple on the US agricultural economy. :discodance:

And by the way…

For those boycotting not for “safety” but for political reasons… let’s get real.

I can’t see any connection between sovereignty and tripe.

Tough year for Ma. First accused of bowing down to Mother Nature, then the neighbors, and now some ranch hands in DC.

I doubt you eat all the garbage parts of the animal

I doubt you eat all the garbage parts of the animal[/quote]

YOu dont suppose the Taiwanese are being somehow forced to eat the garbage parts as well do you? Because of the distance and cost, Taiwan tends to import the best parts of the cattle.

This beef thing is a political tool for politicians , thats all.

The US govt has noted that they will watch with care what restrictive legislation is set up to de facto to restrict US beef. I say there is no evidence that the Taiwanese should not be allowed to eat what we in America eat. IF they are importing the same from New Zealand or Australia , it is likewise just as safe importing the same from the USA.

I guess visa free entry for Taiwanese will have to wait.

Funny, Canadian businesses frequently suffer due to bs regs and grandstanding US politicians. Not so funny, the Subway ‘steak’ and cheese sandwich. That is just nasty shit they’re serving up now. Sometimes I wonder what free trade and open markets would really look like.

I doubt you eat all the garbage parts of the animal[/quote]

YOu dont suppose the Taiwanese are being somehow forced to eat the garbage parts as well do you? Because of the distance and cost, Taiwan tends to import the best parts of the cattle.

This beef thing is a political tool for politicians , thats all.[/quote]

You’re right of course, but my Taiwanese friends seem to think that the danger would come from importing intestines and the like.

I’m just happy to see how civilized the Taiwanese have handled the issue, compared to what I saw when I was in Korea during their American beef fiasco.

But Mad Cow? Come on? Really? Give me a f*@#ing break.

Try E Coli. As we speak, 2 dead and 28 sick:

abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/c … id=8987973

Plenty of reasons to boycott US beef (although I am weak and still eat the shit outta it), but BSE is so NOT one of them. Running around ranting about one or two isolated and quickly controlled incidences of BSE from 10 years ago just discredits the whole thing and makes the protesters look downright ignorant.

Yup, just got a panic phone call from the mother-in-law, warning me to stop buying US mince because of the Ecoli thing ( she knows I love making meat balls and Shepard’s Pie). Told her that, as a Kiwi, I always buy NZ or Australian beef.