Whats the best and the worst?

the people

the people

Plus: 24 hour beer.
Minus: A revolting selection of that mentioned above.

[quote=“Super Hans”][quote]
You’re seriously comparing Taiwanese food with food from places like Vietnam and Thailand? I even find Hong Kong cuisine to be far superior to Taiwanese cuisine. True, I think the Taiwanese take on Japanese food is great as I don’t care much for traditional Japanese food, and the experience of eating Korean food is comparable to licking out the inside of a leaking battery, but I find most proper Taiwanese food to be quite bland.
[/quote][/quote]
Why on earth would you want to lick out the inside of a leaking battery?

Best for me - The food - I guess tastes differ.
Worst - Lack of space and the way some people drive and a new one being referred to as a poor teacher because I disagree with him, by homeless beggar on the back of a horse.

The above is not Taiwan bashing in the least. I dislike xy and z in Taiwan is an opinion. Very often the phrasing is rude. Taiwanese food is bland - your opinion. Taiwanese people are tasteless idiots who don’t know what good food tastes like - insulting. No-one has done yet, so please keep it coming.

only been here for a couple weeks, so here is just a first impression:

best - taipei metro (its so clean! and you wont get stds just from sitting on the benches, i’d never take the chance at the ny subway lol. also no homeless dudes taking dumps on the trains.)

worst - reckless driving (c’mon people! pedestrians should always have the right of way. always. do you really want to take a life just cause you wanted to make a point that jay walking is wrong? and you get fined and go to prison for that shit. seriously, be smart. be careful.)

I want to add another best and worst.
Best - Being able to buy a beer at a convenience store at 11 at night and sit safely in the park on a bench with friends enjoying the beer.
Worst - The prick who spat beetle not (not sure of the spelling “Bin Lan” on my bike tonight.) They should ban that red stuff. I know some people think it’s unique but please it smells like shit and no-one likes it.

Nonsense. It’s GREAT stuff. And chicks LOVE it! Don’t let any foreigners tell you otherwise. :hand:

best - the mountains and waterfalls that are everywhere

worst - pollution, awful driving and the horrendous sound that 50+ year old Taiwanese women make

:astonished:

Best:

I would have to say by far the access to medical care, now before any of you blast me on this one let me explain why.

first off I "m canadian, which means free health care (sort of)

unfortunately nothing in life is free, and this “free healthcare” comes with a hefty price (and I don’t just mean 40% of your wages garnished for taxes either.

I had an MRI today, waited a whopping 5 days to have it done, last time I had one done in canada I was on a waiting list for 6 months.

had minor surgery done 3 weeks ago, again, less then a week waiting time
last time I needed surgery back home i was once again stuck on a waiting list, this time for a year and a half.

what’s the point of having “free” healthcare if you can’t even have access to it when you need it?
instead your stuck with (sometimes very serious) ailments and are told to go wait in a corner until it’s “your turn”

ya, some of the dr.'s here are quacks, or may not be up to date on the latest research/equipment
but at least if you have a problem you don’t have to be on your deathbed before someone actually notices.

Now, the worst:

there are several thing I could whine about in this category, but to be honest the worst’ i’ve seen here has little to do with me personally,
what bother’s me the most is how I see taiwanese bosses treat taiwanese employees,
I think it’s somewhere between illegal migrant mexican worker and egyptian pyramid building slave.

as westerners we have a thin vainer of protection against the worst of this (though not always)

but it truly rots me that when I ask my coworkers what do they do for hobbies, the only answer I ever get is “sleeping” because after pulling 9 - 10 hour days, every day that’s all anybody wants to do.

overworking = no life

no one should live to work…

For me,

best: Food, and cheap/almost free medicare (but you gotta pick your doctor well)

Worst: employment, traffic, noise, general attitude towards life.

I dunno about the treatment towards employees, I think its because employers see their employees as slaves, and that the ongoing attitude is “you’re lucky to have a job, and if you hate the way you’re treated, quit and at least 100 people will be happy to take your job”, and that attitude is regardless of your skills too. I’ve heard traditional industries have a lot more respect for their worker and no unpaid overtime like most other jobs, but I kinda had it with working in Taiwan because of that kind of attitude. I think another thing is that its bad face to leave work before your superior leaves work… so most people will spend 8 hours a day on facebook and doing 2 hours of actual work (spread out over the course of 10 hours of course) because there are no reward, but only punishments (in the form of additional work) for working efficiently.

I think its the reason why marriage and birth is so low in Taiwan, when you can only work and sleep how are you going to have a social life, or even have time for families?

[quote=“Rockefeller”]
worst - reckless driving (c’mon people! pedestrians should always have the right of way. always. do you really want to take a life just cause you wanted to make a point that jay walking is wrong? and you get fined and go to prison for that shit. seriously, be smart. be careful.)[/quote]

And you’re from New Yawk (I assume the city, of course, with your reference to NY subway).

Reckless driving…how insightful :ponder:

Ped right of way…how double insightful :ponder: :ohreally:

best: amount of nice people; availability of good vegan food at good prices; convenient and affordable services (medical service, repair services, government services etc), low taxes

worst: scooters & excessive pollution, traffic density; general lack of environmental conscienceness & wastefulness of the society; weather in the north

edit: under worst, add big polluting trucks everywhere

[quote=“PigBloodCake”][quote=“Rockefeller”]
worst - reckless driving (c’mon people! pedestrians should always have the right of way. always. do you really want to take a life just cause you wanted to make a point that jay walking is wrong? and you get fined and go to prison for that shit. seriously, be smart. be careful.)[/quote]

And you’re from New Yawk (I assume the city, of course, with your reference to NY subway).

Reckless driving…how insightful :ponder:

Ped right of way…how double insightful :ponder: :ohreally:[/quote]

nope, not from new york.

Best: Cheap, available taxis. Cheap, available medical care. Cheap, available beer.

Worst: Foreigners on an “immersion” trip.

[quote=“saddletramp”]Best: Sharon, my son’s English Teacher
Worst: Fu Xiao Elementary School, were my son is taught by the likes of teacherfin.

Maybe time to start homeschooling.[/quote]

Is that the elementary school affiliated with the college of education across the street from it?
can you explain your Worst comment a bit more, thanks.