What's the best cellphone deal?

I’m currently using a simcard, and credit my account by 300NT increments using Easy cards. I make several local calls and cellphone-to-cellphone calls (as well as text messages) per month. I usually find a landline to make international calls but occasionally make quick international calls.

What is the most reasonable (with good customer service) plan in Taipei for me? Maybe I should target 20-30 hours of calls per month (I can’t estimate it very well yet). If I need to pay a little bit more to buy a cellphone and new number in order to save money in the long run, that’s fine.

Thanks!

Since no one else answered…

TWNGSM is probably your best bet. When I looked they’re pretty much all the same in terms of calling plans. TWMGSM is the (or one of the) biggest cellphone companies in Taiwan.

If you also want GPRS, e.WAP, I-Mode or something else like that, there’s much more to be said. I’ll gladly answer any questions you have.

Click HERE for a rate plan overview (TWMGSM’s).

Click around that page for more info.

I think every month the deals are different, just check around, you will eventually find a deal you like.

What are the requirements for getting a monthly subscription service to a cellular phone network ? I would presume in foreigner-unfriendly Taiwan it is extremely difficult for a foreigner to get a monthly contract deal ? Has anything changed since this was last discussed ?

Which networks are 1800 and which 900 ? Who has the best coverage ?

[quote=“hexuan”]What are the requirements for getting a monthly subscription service to a cellular phone network ? I would presume in foreigner-unfriendly Taiwan it is extremely difficult for a foreigner to get a monthly contract deal ? Has anything changed since this was last discussed ?

Which networks are 1800 and which 900 ? Who has the best coverage ?[/quote]

Yes, I do believe it’s still hard for a foreigner to get a monthly plan. When I asked they said something about having an I.D. card. I didn’t ask much more because I already have a plan.

To answer your other questions BOOYA!. This link should take care of’m.

Over the past six years I’ve had no problem getting a couple land lines, cell account and ADSL with Chunghua in my name. They simply need to see an ARC. A Taiwan ID is not necessary. If the xiaojie tells you otherwise, talk to the next xiaojie. As for other providers of cell service, I have no expereience. However, I believe that smaller players tend to be more anti-foreinger. You could even produce the original Magna Carta, and they’d still give you trouble. :unamused:

Hmm thanks Jeremy. It’ll have to be Chung Hwa then.

Hexuan:

Maybe you could try FarEasTone. They seem pretty foreigner-oriented. I don’t really know about their requirement (probably ARC?) as I got the post-paid plan after obtaining my business licence, and I made the contract in the name of my company. But they seemed very professional and easy-going, when I switched from my prepaid-card to post-paid (the girl actually asked whether she should copy the phone book data from my old SIM card to my new one!). And they have English menu and hotlines I think. Service might be better there than with Chunghwa.

HTH
Iris

I currently use TWNGSM and I’m pretty happy with their services (it’s the huge monthly bill that bites – uh, but that’s my fault). I’m glad that – given a very competitive cellular phone market – all the price plans are the same. It saves me the trouble to do too much research (I came to this thread cause I need to by an extra SIM card)

I got my TWNGSM subcription via my girlfriend, who got a two-for-one package from her workplace (corporate discounts). Our two year commitment to the phone plan finally ended last summer – so I can now switch to a Pre-Paid plan and still keep my number. I was talked out of it when I realized how little I understood the monthly pricing plans.

Since my Mandarin is still pretty poor, I’ve pleasantly surprised at the level of English I can find at TWNGSM. Most of the time, the service people are very, very helpful. They aren’t perfect, but I’ve come to overlook the occassional bump in the road: as Jeremy put it so well, “If the xiaojie tells you otherwise, talk to the next xiaojie”

Despite generally good coverage around Taipei (and underground) – my entire apartment is a deadspot. This is my main gripe with TWNGSM – so unless you live with me, you may not have this problem :slight_smile: Actually, it’s gotta be the material in the walls, but same difference – lots of times, I have to stretch over the railing at the back balcony-thingie to get a decent signal. When I’m home, it’s hard to reach me by cellphone :frowning:

A friend of mine almost convinced me to switch to KG telecom. He’s happy with thier Friends and Family type plan where calls to other KG users are free for the 1st 5 minutes. I feel like 80% of my voice calls are to one person – so it would seem reasonable for me to join. Two things make me hesitate: (1) my huge phone bills are largely due to the large amount of travel I’ve done over the past 18 months, not because of voice calls within Taiwan; (2) I used KG several years ago, just before I switched to TWNGSM, and was pretty unhappy with their services – although their networks and customer service have probably improved, they simply fell short in just about every category for me

the phone magazine in Taiwan usually have charts about the different companies and their rates. It includes monthly and pre-paid rates. They really don’t talk about international calling rates but you can get those of of the telco’s web sites. If you want better coverage within buildings, a lower frequency carrier would be better. 900 mhz carriers such as ChungHwa, FarEasTone, Mobitai, and TransAsia. I used TWNGSM and their service inside of homes was bad. Chunghwa got better reception for me. Phones also make a difference as to the reception. I bought a cheap Alcatel OT302 and the reception was worst than Nokias.

Mark

listings of the carriers and their coverage maps. also technical data.
gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_tw.shtml
cellular-news.com/coverage/taiwan.shtml

any idea of if the deals on cellular phones have changed? today i tried to get a contract and at three places they said i couldn’t, because i’m a foreigner on an arc but not a taiwanese resident. did they change the rules recently?

has anyone recently signed up for a cell phone contract who’s not guaranteed by a taiwanese citizen?

I needed a guarantor for TWN GSM a few months ago.

I get an excellent signal on Chunghwa. The largest part of my bill is calls to other mobile network’s subscribers becuase nobody I know seems to be on Chunghwa.

An ARC doesn’t count for much these days, does it ?

There are two easy steps to getting a cell phone.

1. Get a Taiwanese girlfriend.
  2. Get her to sort it out.

Hexuan made a good point. Phone charges are much much cheaper if made to phones using the same company. Before getting a phone you should consider who you will be calling most, and what company they are with. Let’s say Far Eastern has a really good deal on some flash model. Well, it doesn’t mean dick if most of your friends are with Changhwa Telecom. You should follow suit.

[quote=“almas john”]There are two easy steps to getting a cell phone.

1. Get a Taiwanese girlfriend.
  2. Get her to sort it out.
    [/quote]

And let that be a salutory lesson to you all.

My answer to the same question in another thread/forum.

I havent really kept up with cell phones…so bear with me. just got a new one cuz the old one died.
new one has gprs and wap i think. I have a contract with Chunghua Telecom. Is their network enabled for this stuff. if so, how do i set up, access, etc.

My nokia phone, oddly, has simplified chinese mode. but in this mode, there is NO simplified chinese input in text messages. wt_hell?

anyway to download some sort of firmware thingy to allow this?

best thing: if i could use english mode, but also have a choice of chinese input in txt messages if i need it.

I know this is an old thread… But I wanted to share some good cell phone deals in case anyone might find them helpful.

This one is $288/month for unlimited data and enough minutes to satisfy people who mostly use Line. Best of all, there’s no contact required in case you have contract-phobia (not that foreigners can’t get contracts… but you might not want to go through the hassle)

Same price, not as many minutes, requires annual contract:
https://shop.tstartel.com/shopping/initDiy?diyn=net001&diynt=1&diyt=voi001&diyex=6&diynm=2

If anyone expresses interest, I’ll try to keep updating on deals as they change.