What's the best scooter/bike for a bigger person?

What’s the best scooter/bike for a big ger person.

• 125cc regular scooter and just leav it at that
  • 150cc bigger engine but same actual size as the 125’s
  • 150 big scooter and modify a bit (if possible)
  • Used big bike
  • Used 250cc scooter

0 voters

Ok so Ive waited forever and a day to replace my 125cc old SYM scooter. Its been good and will remain as a back up if needed. Here is my dilema.
Im a bigger guy. My budget is up to NT80,000 max. Id prefer NT50-60,000, but what ever.

My choices.

1. 125 regular scooter from sym yamaha, kymco etc
  2. 150 regular size from kymco or sym, pgo
  3. The big 150cc scooters, Kymco Grand dink, symDX150, or 125 majesty.
  4. someother bigger used scooter or used big bike.

The 150 ‘big’ scooters seating position seems too far forward knees too close to the handle bars and seems restrictive, so i eighter need to have a custom seat made or something.

The majesty I dont really like because I like to use the floor for carrying stuff and only 125cc. If I am giving that up then I will get a motorbike.

So far I am looking at option 2 the regular size scooters but 150 cc. I can vary my riding position etc.

Whats your advice.

Can you go test drive everything you’re think about it?

Ive test driven most 125’s and all 150 big scooters.

150 big ones have nice features and nice in a straight line but odd when turning.

I assume the smaller 150’s will be just like a 125. ‘Maybe’ a little more power.

I have a little experience with big bikes. Most places wont let me try anything new.

Sounds like you might want lots of power in a highly manuverable and small package?

Dunno much about scooter design. Maybe there’s something from Europe or South America?

energy -
I am what might be considered a “big person” kilo & shoulder wise. I do not have long legs or arms.
I have a Kymco 125cc G4 SR with fuel injection. Bought it in Aug of 04.
It has very good power for 'scoots around the city and does very well on somewhat long trips along the hoghway - its the bare minimu I would consider for this.
It has an amazingly large “trunk” under the seat. I can carry 3 helmets in there to give a size idea. Plus the floor between seat and steering.
This is one you might consider. Also Yamaha has a very nice 125cc model comparable to this Kymco model. It has 2 rear shocks/springs which I consider superior to the Kymcos single rear shock/spring.
Dependability for my Kymco has been excellent.
Good luck. Also the Kymco should fall into the $51 - 56k price range depending on where you shop.
Kymco has also recently introduced a newer 125/150cc model. I have tried it out and did not really think it was very much of an improvement over my SR G4 model.
There are a lot of good 'scooters out there. Use the internet and do your homework.

TainanCowboy wrote

This is the one big advantage I have seen on the yamaha’s.

I did look at the g4 SR. However the Techno 150’s has a little different look and extra 25cc. Thats what ive been leaning towards.

TC was that the one you drove?

I have seen 2004 Kymco and SYM 250’s in the 65-75000 price range. But I havent ridden or even sat on one. I am assuming they are the same size but different motors.

Thxfor the advice.

Energy -
Yes, the Techno model is the one I was referring to.
As much as I wanted it to, it just did not impress me.
I went in looking for an excuse to “upgrade” to their 150cc model and just could not find it in the Techno.
One thing I will admit - I like fuel injection. I have a dealer who can work with it, though it very rarely needs attention - it hasn’t yet. Many, most, dealers on Taiwan are not equipped or knowledgable with it and will out right refuse to offer models with it. Thats what happened to me until I contact Kymco Headquarters personally about it.
Like I say, the G4 SR and the Yamaha models look good.
If you see someone with one make buddy buddy and ask for a an opinion and maybe a test ride.
I will prolly hang on to this one until I upgrade to a motorcycle in a year or so. And then, I’ll prolly still keep it for riding around town. Which is 90% of what I do anyway.

Im driving a Cygnes (Yamaha) and my friends drive the g4 SR with digital speedo and neet thingies and a bigger trunk.
I would trade him. The Cygnes seems cramped for the legs and the seat seems too far forward. Also the floor is very narow if you want to put a box in there (or computer monitor).

They are both quick and can have some simple upgrades to make them a bit quicker.
They are both very comfortable and well built and fun to drive. The dual shocks make the Cyg very easy to handle and smooth. Good for wife (big and pregant) and me (just big).

I will sell you the Cyg for 50,oooNT if you want. Its about 5 months old. I have a baby comming so will be getting a car soon.
Happy shopping.
Kip

are you looking for new or 2nd hand?

consider the fighter 150 (in the thread i’ve just posted “new ride”)… it’s bigger than a 125, but it’s not like a majesty… power is good, comfort is good, handling is good… i couldn’t be happier…

the cygnus is about to get a facelift… personally i think the new model is ugly… but maybe if you wait for it, you can get a better deal on an older one… for me it was a toss-up between the cygnus and the fighter… but as the fighter is new and 150cc, while the cygnus is everywhere… the fighter won…

x08 wrote

This is what it seems I am looking for.

I’ll buy new if its a scooter, unless I can get a super deal on a very slightly used one.

Hmm never sat on a fighter.

TC I am really concidering what you said about the techno. I will look at them again more closely.

techno 150

or

sym fighter 150

hmm

personally i don’t like the technos… they looked good in the ads… but when i saw the real thing i thought it was horrid…

as i said… i’m very happy with the fighter 150… she’s only got about 200km on her, so i can’t really tell if there’s any issues - though i haven’t had any yet apart from a feeling that the speedo is off (reading slower than actual)

actually, i lie… i’m not so sure about the fuel consumption… i seem to be using more fuel than i believe i was using before… but hey… i never used to ride my old scooter every day… so i’m not sure~
i’d say she’s getting about 100-120km a tank… but i’m a bit ham fisted on the throttle too…

The wife got herself a new 125 yamaha breeze last year. Her gas milage is exactly double my old sym. Mine still has more torque off the line, but hers easily speeds past mine at higher speeds.

Ive always been a big of a lead foot, or ‘ham fisted’ as you put it.

I am curious why people voted for the used 250 cc scooter? People step up and say what you will.

[quote=“energy”]I’ve always been a big of a lead foot, or ‘ham fisted’ as you put it.

I am curious why people voted for the used 250 cc scooter? People step up and say what you will.[/quote]

yes, ham fisted… lead footed is for cars :wink:

as for 250cc scooters… i didn’t vote for that… personally, 250cc scooters are overrated… they’re BIG and have more parking difficulties than my hornet… not only that, being 250cc, you’re gunna worry about it almost as much as i worry about my hornet… sure, power and comfort are good for a scooter, but if you want power in a ‘big’ scooter - get a T-max :sunglasses:

[quote=“x08”]as for 250cc scooters… I didn’t vote for that… personally, 250cc scooters are overrated… they’re BIG and have more parking difficulties than my hornet… not only that, being 250cc, you’re gunna worry about it almost as much as i worry about my hornet… sure, power and comfort are good for a scooter, but if you want power in a ‘big’ scooter - get a T-max :sunglasses:[/quote]250 scooters are nice pieces of kit by all accounts; comfy and more agile than one might think.

But I’m less keen on the idea than I was before. For me, the essence of joyful scooter-dom is something light and very flickable and parkable. I weigh around 70kg and my 12-year-old 50cc Dio is less powerful than newer 50’s but I still have fun on the thing, because it’s just so light. I just have to think of turning and it turns. (My BWS is also fun but I want to change the jumbo front tyre for something smaller to improve the handling.)

A mate of mine is thinking of getting a big bike for weekend jollies and a scooter for weekday commuting. Very sensibly, he’s looking at the current breed of zippy 100’s: smaller and lighter than a 125, but can still hold their own. SYM, Yamaha and I think Kymco too each have a model in this category. They’re 4-strokes so you’d think they’d be slugs. But they’re alright actually. And who knows what a bit of tinkering under the hood could do…

Hey I’m in the same predicament.

I’m around 190 lbs and I live up a mountain so I need a scooter with good power. Sometimes I take my bitches with me (dogs) too along with my girlfriend so I can really load up. Also, I drive fast and want something that has good handling and a comfy ride. I consider having two shocks at the rear is a necessity.

Anyway, I don’t mind having a bigger bike (Apex, Majesty) as long as the performance doesn’t suffer. What should I be looking at? Looking for a used model too.

I was looking around on the Kymcorider.com site yesterday and noticced that they have introduced a 125cc model with a 50% increase in floorboard room.
This would also cause an increase in leg room and distance to the ‘handle bars.’ Increase carrying capacity on the floor also.
Might be of interest to some folks.
It kind of hard to find and its all in Chinese, but its in there.

LexingtonSteel wrote

Id say if your carrying the dogs, look away from the Majesty, as the floor is not flat, and so kinda useless for carryting things.

Plus the bigger majesty is still a 125cc on a bigger bike. dissadvantage i think

I dont have any experience to really compare the difference between 1 or 2 rear shocks. Can anyone vouch if it makes that much difference. Would an upgraded single rear shock be compareable?

TainanCowboy

[quote]I was looking around on the Kymcorider.com site yesterday and noticced that they have introduced a 125cc model with a 50% increase in floorboard room.
This would also cause an increase in leg room and distance to the ‘handle bars.’ Increase carrying capacity on the floor also.
Might be of interest to some folks.
It kind of hard to find and its all in Chinese, but its in there.
[/quote]

I will try to find one in real life. That seems to be the problem with the sym fighter 150. Ive looked at 8-10 diffefent SYM shops, and no one has one to look at in real life. When I asked about price on them, a couple just said no. :loco: But ‘NO’ to what?.. cant sell cant buy, wont tell me, dont know the price, or to lazy to be bothered to make a sale to a foreigner?

x08 if your ever in Taoyuan area lemme know and we can hook up. I think i like what i read/hear about the fighter.

if i’m ever in taoyuan… it most likely won’t be on the fighter…

that kind of trip is what i’ve got the hornet for… or my car if the missus is coming…

but yes, fighters are far and few between here in taichung too… and i’ve only ever seen two shops with them - one white, one black…

i’m trying to be a bit more relaxed on the throttle atm and see how much i get out of the tank without constantly hammering it (up to 70 anyway - i hate break-in)…