What's the best way to transfer a large sum of money to Taiwan?

In my case I use it because no choice - I have a USD “account” on there that a client pays me into, and I don’t have any other U.S. accounts to compare.

I don’t know how much of a difference it makes compared to doing a SWIFT transfer from a regular U.S. account. I suspect it’s cheaper - last time I paid $14.51 to transfer a little over $3k, and I thought typical fees started in the $25-30 range for regular banks (and might increase with amount for large transfers?). That time included coverage for any intermediary bank fees, and previously I’ve paid $4.25 to transfer $1-1.5k without that coverage (it worked out about the same in total). Then it costs about $7 to receive it on the Mega Bank end.

Also just habit - I’ve been using them for a few years to transfer money between countries, never had any problems, and would rather support them than regular banks!

I understand that it’s fine to transfer inheritance money using Wise, but I’d be tempted to check out any tax obligations first (e.g., if any special documentation is required on the U.S. end?) that regular banks might be more familiar with. Maybe calling Wise to confirm there’s no issues wouldn’t hurt either.

2 Likes