What's the big deal about foreign oil?

One of the few points that Obama and McCain agree on is the “need” to reduce or eliminate our dependence on foreign (read: Middle Eastern) oil. Polls show that most Americans agree.

I don’t get it.

The US buys most of its oil from other sources, and in any case the Middle East is as dependent on us buying it as we are on them selling it. And in many cases the OPEC countries have limited or no refining capabilities, so we end up selling them a refined version of the crude they sold us. So who gives a shit?

The OPEC cartel has great influence on the price of oil, and thus indirectly, the economies of nations. By creating additional channels of oil supply or alternative forms of energy, the monopolistic effects of OPEC are diminished.

I’m doing my part.
Trying to avoid my addiction to foreign oil, especially that of the Spanish olive.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]I’m doing my part.
Trying to avoid my addiction to foreign oil, especially that of the Spanish olive.[/quote]
I gave up martinis in the 80s.

One wonders what the collective military strength of the OPEC nations amounts to compared to the might of the American empire and it’s allies. Probably very little. Theoretically, the OPEC cartel could be coerced into obeisance, and or simply abolished through conquest. None of this sissy nation-building either; complete, absolute destruction and domination. There would no longer be any concern about dependence on foreign oil, because it would be our oil.

Not that I’m advocating that course of action mind you. Merely noting the possibility exists.

Who’s going to pay for the US military to enter this adventurism in the Middle East. Not to mention where is the US going to find the extra soldiers.

And the gas needed to drive the tanks, where’s that going to come from if the US decides to take on all of OPEC?

Blame Canada!
Invade at once!
Set up a major fortfied complex at the mouth of the Mackenzie River.

One wonders what the collective military strength of the OPEC nations amounts to compared to the might of the American empire and it’s allies. Probably very little. Theoretically, the OPEC cartel could be coerced into obeisance, and or simply abolished through conquest. None of this sissy nation-building either; complete, absolute destruction and domination. There would no longer be any concern about dependence on foreign oil, because it would be our oil.

Not that I’m advocating that course of action mind you. Merely noting the possibility exists.[/quote]

Here’s the list of OPEC countries in alphabetical order:

Algeria
Angola
Ecuador
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Kuwait
Libya
Nigeria
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates
Venezuela

In case you didn’t notice -

OPEC countries successfully invaded and occupied: Iraq

OPEC countries next on the list to be invaded and occupied: Iran

OPEC countries that really annoy the US and will be the next target right after she deals with Iran: Venezuela

The conquest has started.

The plundered oil would pay for it, assuming we actually take it.

Canada?

Canada?

Too late GBH.

We’ve already infiltrated the highest levels of American entertainment and sports (winter) and extreme games. Our people have deliberately settled on the US-Canada border as a ploy to distract you from the fact that we’ve been preparing to avenge our inferiority complex, and to show, once and for all, that 1812 was not a fluke, and no, we didn’t rely on the Brits for victory, and no, we do not live in igloos and use dogsleds.

Canada prevails.

Here’s the real game plan:

1. Use all of other people’s oil. Save your own.

2. When oil runs out, start domestic production and screw the rest of the world.

3. Bomb the middle east to oblivion.

4. Reinvigorate the Monroe Doctrine, and sell Central and S. America to your corporations.

5. Deport all unwantables to Mexico.

6. Build a nice, homogeneous, peaceful American society for Americans.

I have no idea what any of that means, but all I’m saying that is that Canadians could be used to relieve American troop shortages abroad. I’m envisioning massive raiding parties in your southern provinces…moose-fed Canadian boys would make excellent cannon-fodder.

Please don’t hate freedom.