What's the consensus on buying supplements with the new import tax?

I’ve tried a few ways to get supplements like protein, creatine, etc in Taiwan and am still trying to narrow down what’s the best place to buy them from these days.

I’m pretty strict with drinking protein powder every day so I tend to go through the containers at a decent pace. Just wondering where you guys are buying from these days?

I got hosed with a huge import tax of something like 35% the last time I ordered from iHerb (it seemed they added back my big discount I got when calculating taxes…yikes).

I’ve also tried one of the brands at Costco but didn’t quite like it. My friend said they carry another brand but I haven’t seen that in 6 months anytime I go. (I can’t remember either brand name, my apologies)

And then there’s GNC, but we all know their prices can be a bit untenable.

Does anyone order from another supplier here or Taiwan based website? I’d love to know any tips (I’m also in the South of Taiwan if that matters)

Thanks in advance!

It’s not a new import tax, it’s been there for awhile, we’ve been over and over it here. 35% sounds about right. Keep your order under $2000 and order less than 6 times in the first and last 6 months of each year and you’ll avoid the import duties.
There’s also My Protein, I think it’s British. You can find some other brands through Shopee and Ruten, also some small gyms sell it.

If you use a re-shipper like MyUS you can modify the invoice value to reflect the desired amount.

New in the sense it was lowered from $3000 to $2000 2 years ago. Anyway, I was just wondering if people found a local source that’s better to order from.

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll check out Shoppee.

I consider quality and cost per serving (including shipping fees, etc. if needed) when buying protein.

Costco. NT$24 per serving.

GNC becomes cheaper for members and when buying larger quantities. They also send out discounts via Line app.

1 Like

You can’t.

If you’re ordering from a supplier, not ebay, they look at your invoice and enters an amount that appears on the invoice.

If it’s ebay you can enter your own amount but they have algorithms that catches you if you declare a false amount.

No US companies will declare a different amount because it’s a felony to do so.

I don’t know if you can trust foods from China but this could be something worth looking into. Duty from China seems rather low. You can’t use official Taobao shipper if you are ordering food, it must go through special channel that only private shippers can do.

Also Chinese shippers can declare a low amount if you ask them. They don’t enforce laws as zealously as the US does (or rather their people are not as by the book as Americans are).

Furthermore, if you use USPS, there’s a high chance the shipment just passes custom without inspection. So you won’t get taxed.

They absolutely will allow you to do this, within about 15%.

hopefully it’s enough to get under 2000NT but be aware that customs here include shipping in that figure, and shipping alone can be over 2000nt if the item is heavy enough.

1 Like

PChome and Momo also worth checking, though their stocks tend to come and go.
There’s a local brand called Mars which has some better tasting flavours (well, in my opinion), also some weird things…I mean “local flavours” like Taro Milk, Oolong tea, Lychee!
They deliver to 7-11 and Familymart. Their website is all in Chinese though: https://www.marstw.com/

1 Like

Taro Milk is the best flavor of protein powder.going tbh.

I just get myprotein from Shopee24 , it’s usually at the convenience store in less than 24hrs

1 Like

Never heard of that, checked out the website, cool branding. I’ll consider giving it a try, thanks for the rec!

The local product MARS is actually great

40NT per serving, with 26g of protein. That’s pretty good.

But yeah, the import taxes really suck

1 Like