What's the deal with the Taiwan Civil Government?

Ads for the Taiwan Civil Government 台灣(民)政府 keep showing up whenever I browse NYTimes. I’ve known about this organization for a while – basically they say the US is the rightful owner of Taiwan and only “pure” Taiwanese should be eligible for citizenship – but why the new advertising offensive? Is something going on?

They are planning to annex the Sudetenland

I think it is a subversive plan to sap our precious bodily fluids.
Other than that, they are still searching our cache and cookies.

I don’t like their claims about the “pure” Taiwanese part. It was the stupid move that really turned themselves into a joke. What’s wrong with just going with Taiwanese independence and the Taiwan status uncertainty points? Must they drive away people who would support Taiwanese independence but aren’t necessarily what they would consider pure Taiwanese? Seems like some people are stuck in the 1920s.

To me, that’s racism, plain and simple.

What they argue for isn’t actually independence, anyway – they’d rather be a colony of the US or Japan than part of the ROC. The best argument for independence is the right of the people to self-determination, but instead the TCG focuses on tiny little legal loopholes that nobody really cares about and ignores the fact that just about everyone in Taiwan recognize they are citizens of the ROC.

An amusing post on their FB page points out that if they don’t believe the ROC has authority over Taiwan, they shouldn’t use Chinese on their official website, shouldn’t use NT$ to pay their bills, shouldn’t use ROC passports to go abroad. It could be added that they shouldn’t participate in national health insurance or use ROC drivers’ licenses. If you ask me, this is just a grand scheme to cheat NT$1,000 out of über-green nationalists looking for a “Taiwan ID.”

I’m a über-green nationalists (some may mock, I use the term with pride), but I ain’t paying 1 duck to those racists. I don’t mind they arguing for Taiwan is a US military territory, but frankly, I don’t believe anyone who actually read what they wrote down would support that kind of racism. Also, their flag and ID designs are fugly… too bad…

They’ve recently opened an office in Banqiao District on Minquan Road near its intersection with Zhongshan Road. They seem to be having a ceremony today, with music, speechmaking, and so on.

So do they want to be part of Japan or part of USA?

Deep down, neither. they just don’t want to be a part of China. They would prefer an independent Taiwan, but it is much more feasible to fight it on the grounds of international law. Their claims about international law seems sound. In their view Taiwan’s statue is similar to Ryukyu post WW2, where Japan has given up the right to govern to the USMG, however maintains claims over the territory.

And those Independence feelings have been made possible by the ROC. Of course, I’m against that. But what we see going on today would not have been possible without the ROC and President Chiang Ching-kuo handing the reins of power to Lee Teng-hui. It certainly would not have happened under Imperial Japan; even if Taiwan had stayed with Japan when the USA took over, Taiwan would be no better off than today’s Okinawa when it comes to sovereignty. “Taiwanese” exists today because of the ROC.

Any idea who funds them? You don’t run advertising campaigns and open offices in (relatively) expensive areas without a fair bit of money.

Any idea who funds them? You don’t run advertising campaigns and open offices in (relatively) expensive areas without a fair bit of money.[/quote]

Probably some green activists in the US. Amazing how some people who have never set foot on this island or speak any of the local languages proudly proclaim “I am Taiwanese American” on youtube.

Deep down, neither. they just don’t want to be a part of China. They would prefer an independent Taiwan, but it is much more feasible to fight it on the grounds of international law. Their claims about international law seems sound. In their view Taiwan’s statue is similar to Ryukyu post WW2, where Japan has given up the right to govern to the USMG, however maintains claims over the territory.[/quote]

More feasible…? Perhaps. But it’s still WAY outside the realms of reality.

Most Okinawans support staying with Japan. By most I mean 24.9% for independence, and 58.7% against. So I don’t really see how Okinawa is worse than Taiwan today. The only thing they want to get rid off are the US bases, but since it’s their choice to stay with Japan, that’s not happening anytime soon either.

[quote=“hsinhai78”]
Probably some green activists in the US. Amazing how some people who have never set foot on this island or speak any of the local languages proudly proclaim “I am Taiwanese American” on youtube.[/quote]

Last I checked, being able to speak a Taiwanese native language isn’t a requirement to be a Taiwanese American or to proudly be a Taiwanese American.

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“hsinhai78”]
Probably some green activists in the US. Amazing how some people who have never set foot on this island or speak any of the local languages proudly proclaim “I am Taiwanese American” on youtube.[/quote]

Last I checked, being able to speak a Taiwanese native language isn’t a requirement to be a Taiwanese American or to proudly be a Taiwanese American.[/quote]

My dog is is more Taiwanese-American than most green freaks in California. At least as far as the Taiwanese part is concerned.

It’s a stupid argument they have, but it’s not entirely unfounded. The thing I hate is how they’re convinced they’re right. They are bringing a legal challenge against the sovereignty of the ROC over Taiwan, but since no court would touch that issue with a 10-foot pole, they are just pretending they’ve already been proven right.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the way legal cases work is evidence is presented and a judgment is made. The TCG has presented its argument as if it’s already facts-proven, case-closed, and people like a certain prominent English-language blogger take it as proof. All it is, until some body with more authority than Forumosa makes a definitive ruling, is an interesting argument that is worth investigating, but there’s no need for all the descendants of waishengren to be packing their bags and buying their tickets.

I’m more Taiwanese American than most Taiwanese Americans in California. I was born there. And I don’t even consider myself Taiwanese American.

Is being more “Taiwanese American” the new street cred or something? :ponder:

I do not entirely discount the feelings one has for the land they were born on. People who are adopted have strong feelings for the parents who adopted them, but they also have a strong connection to the people they come from. It’s not dissimilar. I will say that, in my experience, the people who believe the most strongly in TI are the TSU and the folk that were born here in California. The TSU are extremists. Haven’t figured out why the folk born in the US are so rabid about TI. Best guess is, having been raised on the American Revolution, they get caught up in the romanticism.