What's the difference between Love and Like?

whoops. (lust + like)edclusivity = love

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Well…there is an old joke about kissing before and after a certain act…

But I won’t go into that…[/quote]

“Kissing”? I thought it was “swallowing”.

hmm…
I like those i like to be with.
And among them, I love the one (or ones) who loves me.

or maybe
And among them, I love the one (or ones) who makes me believe that i love him (them).

or maybe
And among them, I love the one (or ones) I want to love (or others want me to love)

The result is , I don’t know love.

I think it’s possible to love someone without liking him/her. I also think it’s rare to not eventually love (not necessarily romantically) someone you like.

Wouldn’t that result in “We are in love, but we can’t be friend” ?

Wouldn’t that result in “We are in love, but we can’t be friend” ?[/quote]

Either that, or results in "oh my God, we’ve been married how long? :s "

What’s the difference between love and like?

A lick and a promise! :laughing:

Love is when your S.O. acts like mine has been acting this week and you aren’t debating curbing them.

(I clealry LIKE him)

If you can’t be with the one you love
Love the one you’re with

[quote=“sandman”]If you can’t be with the one you love
Love the one you’re with[/quote]

What, no “honey”?

I may be wrong here, but doesn’t the lyric include:

If you can’t be with the one you love

HONEY

Love the one you’re with.

?

I hope I am wrong, cuz I don’t want to keep having to follow you all over cyberspace correcting your mistakes.

Good thing you have such stage presence, ya?

BOT, I love many people, it’s not exclusive, nor lustful. It began as like, and as the fondness for each other grew, the relationships permeated with love. These are people whm I share sorrow and glee with. People whom I would go to the antipodes to assist, should they so need. I love them unconditionally. Granted, it’s not the same love I share with my SO. But it’s more than like.

SO love, IMHO, is when all your decisions in life are first and finally filtered thru your SO’s expectations. That said, there have been some wonderful definitions in this thread.

Maybe we should start our own “Love is…” merchandising line.

It’s a matter of degree. Both of them can be placed on a continuum which begins with loathing and continues through hatred, dislike, neutrality, fondness/liking, loving and ends in adoration. Whatever your relationship may be with another person isn’t permanent. Every time you do a good deed to another person/ group of people, you make deposit into your account with that person. Every time you do something that that person perceives as negative, you make a withdrawal. In other words, you could turn an enemy into a friend and vice versa.

They say there’s more selfishness in “like”

and you lose more of your self-centred-ness and care for the other a LOT more in “love”.

Have you been watching Christie Malry’s Own Double Entry?

Like = You’ll shag her, but don’t necessarily want to marry her.

Love = You’ll marry her even before you’ve shagged her.

Having this discussion on my forum as well. I’ll just cut and paste what I wrote there:

[quote=“I”]Like refers to a personal interest in something for your own benefit. You like ice cream. So, you want to eat it. You don’t really care about the ice cream’s well being. You like a particular sports team. You want that sports team to do well- but because you associate yourself with it and enjoy its victories on a personal level. You like a girl, so you hope she will fulfill your desires towards her.

Love can be used just to mean an extreme level of like. But that is a poor use of the word. Instead, love should include a sense of your desire for the benefit of the object of love for its own sake rather than for your personal benefit. With pure love, individual benefit does not factor into things at all.

Most people do love others, but not as much as they think they do. Love between man and woman is often a misnomer. They have strong desires for the other person, but that isn’t love. Some part of them wants what is good for the other person, but their desire for that other person to satisfy their own needs is most often primary. They love a little, but have a much bigger crush.

Real love takes a lot more time. That’s why I don’t believe in love at first sight. A really special connection, true, but not love.[/quote]

[quote=“and then I”]Like and love are far from exclusive.

Friendship is a form of love. The Greeks divided love into 3 or 4 different types: eros, philos, and agape. (I prefer to just deal with three) philos is generally called “brotherly love”, but this is the love we most often have towards our friends. In many cases we have different kinds of love for people mixed together.

So, while you like people, you will also generally love them (as you do your friends).

The important thing to realize is whether your actions are out of your own personal interest, or out of their interest. Many times we say we love someone a lot, when we really just want or need them a lot. We are fooling ourselves. And often we are fooled by those who claim to love us much more than they really do. [/quote]

[quote=“llary”]Have you been watching Christie Malry’s Own Double Entry?

No. I have no clue, but I’ll google it.

Like is a piece of bubble gum. Love is a giant hot fudge sundae. :stuck_out_tongue:

as jeanette winterson puts it “the measure of love is always lost” don’t meaure it…live it…develop it…true it

If you like someone and also truely liked, you are happy
If you love someone and truely loved, you are in a place where we call Heaven

LOVE

1. If you love someone, you feel romantically or sexually attracted to them, and they are very important to you.
  2. It is a strong feeling of affection
  3. Like something/somebody very much
  4. In tennis, love is a score of zero.
  5. Make Love: have sex.

1. If you like something or someone, you think they are interesting, enjoyable, or attractive.
  2. Approval of a particular course of action or way of behaving
  3. Something you prefer to do as a part of your normal life.