What's the greatest novel of all time?

[quote=“patterson”]I personally preferred The Nancy Drew mysteries.

which series featured the overweight 'Chet" and his red Jalopy?

As a young English boy I had no clue what a Jalopy might be, I just knew that someone was always 'jumping in Chet’s Jalopy for a ride."[/quote]
That’s the Hardy Boys. In fact, I believe that Chet’s jalopy (“Queenie”, I think) gets stolen in The Tower Treasure.

If you’d read some Archie comics you’d have known.

Anyone have any Archie comics BTW?

Did it ever get recovered?
Of course, the Hardy Boys TV series was a major disappointment to me. What was up with Frank’s top lip?

I LOVE Animal Farm…it’s very suitable for these times.
You can read it (and many other classics) at project gutenberg:
gutenberg.net.au/ebooks01/0100011.txt

Most classics are public domain. What I do is print them out. Yeah, yeah, wastes paper, but i have a hard time reading an entire book on a screen. I guess ebooks are going to be difficult for me to adjust to.

[quote]ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL
BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS[/quote]

A lot of great works are being brought up here, but being the biased fan I am, I’d have to take “The Lord of the Rings”, with “The Silmarillion” close behind.

LOTR is honestly the only book I have been able to read over and over and over again while still feeling that same excitement as the first time I read it.

And Animal Farm…that was a great book too. That one would be close to the top for me too. Off topic, I actually liked the movie version (most recent one i guess?), which I’ve seen on one of the local movie channels a couple times. :notworthy:

gamebooks.org/cyoalist.htm

Just gimme a stack of these and I’d be happy.

Genji Monogatari - but you have to read it in the original to get the full flavor.

Now yer talkin’!!! :raspberry:

“To all my friends”

A company (theatrical in nature) I spent some time with did staged versions of Bukowski. This is one intense dude. Burroughs?

Now that I got ya thinking…I amnow gonna get y’all to agree that I have the number one definitive choice for a desert isle…the veritible Gilligan of books…

Henry Miller…Box Set

Need I say more?

I went to college in a small town that functioned as a writers’ ghetto in the South. Lots of famous authors and poets would pull through town to give readings at the university from time to time. The time that Bukowski came, afterwards he and several of the staff from the writing program went out for a few afterhours beers at a popular redneck joint. Pretty soon, Buke being Buke, he was acting like a wildass, dancing on the tables, until -

“Hey, hey, man, you don’t have to act like that,” said Big Jim.

“Really?” Buke stops, and mutters in a confidential voice, “Thank god. You know, it gets damn tiring having to try to be Charles Bukowski all the time.” He relaxed and acted like a normal guy after that.

funniest book ever written and one of the greatest…the fan man by william kotzwinkle excerpt follows: um link thingy
amazon.com/gp/reader/0679752 … de&s=books