What's the real life in Taiwan?

I know a little from TV,I saw people living a happy and relaxing life,just like the people in Jay chuo’s film 《Rooftop》
Is it the real situation ?

Yes, real life is exactly like the film The Rooftop, except possibly a little more martial arts and a touch less music.

I have to go and wash my headband now.

real life in Taiwan makes slightly less sense than the plot of The Rooftop.

Indeed, as I cannot imagine another place where someone like you saw a Jay Chou movie.

pfft. I didn’t. Wikipedia. :smiley:

pfft. I didn’t. Wikipedia. :smiley:[/quote]

:laughing: Next your quotes are going to come from Lonely Planet.

of course it’s nothing like it. it’s set in Galilee. so that makes it Palestine.

But imdb makes it sound really awful. kinda like Glee in the slums.

[quote=“Ecig”]I know a little from TV,I saw people living a happy and relaxing life,just like the people in Jay chuo’s film 《Rooftop》
Is it the real situation ?[/quote]
It’s kind of hard to describe, but judging from your English, I’m confident you’ll fit right in!

[quote=“Dr. Milker”][quote=“Ecig”]I know a little from TV,I saw people living a happy and relaxing life,just like the people in Jay chuo’s film 《Rooftop》
Is it the real situation ?[/quote]
It’s kind of hard to describe, but judging from your English, I’m confident you’ll fit right in![/quote]

Not polite.

Yeah, that is exactly what people all around me look like and the streets here as well. Well, besides the streets being full of cars and motor cycles so those two would get killed standing in the road. Guy would not wear the headband but have a terrible hair cut with the hair split in the middle and wear glasses. Both would hold smartphones* and be sitting on a scooter with two kids and a dog and the groceries. All wearing flip flops, red for the girl, blue for the boys. Or all blue. Even the baby so it gets used to. Well, the romantic book shop might be more of a Yahama dealer where someone is just fixing an old scooter and the fumes would make most of the background invisible. But basically they got it right. Amazing how truthful such a movie is.

• Only kidding. Only she would hold the smartphone. He would be eating out of a paper potty while steering the scooter.

Oh bob, that is not really honest is it? Have you not been outside for the past ten years?

Seriously lots of stylish people, lots of stylish places. Not like in the movie but what you describe is only a part of Taiwan now. Thankfully not the whole part anymore.

To be honest, he’s asking the wrong crowd. We live in this little bubble. We are the blind men touching the elephant.

Hey I’ve hung out with the people. I own a bark raincoat, flipflops, a Ta
t
ung rice cooker, have no hot water in my washing machine, have a stove hooked up to gas cannisters, have two street cats, no insulation in my walls, use a tennis racket to kill mosquitoes and prefer to avoid all conflict at all times.

You forgot munching on chicken feet, LOL. rosannelin.com/TAIWANTOOLONG.html

Actually, I love Taiwanese movies in the sense that they really go out of their way to depict the true environment, warts and all. Would love to get picture stills from some of the sets, like stores and houses. There are such distinguishable features I point out to my family when I take the movies back to the ol country. I look at the movies and I get homesick.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Oh bob, that is not really honest is it? Have you not been outside for the past ten years?

Seriously lots of stylish people, lots of stylish places. Not like in the movie but what you describe is only a part of Taiwan now. Thankfully not the whole part anymore.[/quote]

Well, as you are kind of forcing me to respond seriously: I guess what makes the largest impression is what you see around you every day (without taking the MRT).

So I watched Rooftop today. Didn’t need to pay as at Zhongxiao-Fuxing on the escalator up to the Wenhu Line they have the whole film in pictures in between the escalators. I hated it. I hate that fat HK actor who telegraphs his characters (hey, I am a loveable gangster, hey, I am a loveable bad guy, hey, I am a loveable un-loveable husband). I hate Jay Chou. His arms have no muscle mass; just how lame is his martial arts training. I’ve got better biceps and I’ve had a neurological disorder for the past year.

I think the girl is nowhere near pretty enough to have gangsters obsessing over her, and the music sucked (all hummm, and background chatter and these weird announcements).

Someone was wearing a stupid hat, too.

[quote=“bob_honest”]

Yeah, that is exactly what people all around me look like and the streets here as well. Well, besides the streets being full of cars and motor cycles so those two would get killed standing in the road. Guy would not wear the headband but have a terrible hair cut with the hair split in the middle and wear glasses. Both would hold smartphones* and be sitting on a scooter with two kids and a dog and the groceries. All wearing flip flops, red for the girl, blue for the boys. Or all blue. Even the baby so it gets used to. Well, the romantic book shop might be more of a Yahama dealer where someone is just fixing an old scooter and the fumes would make most of the background invisible. But basically they got it right. Amazing how truthful such a movie is.
[/quote]

I think this movie is a romance suggesting the old Taiwan.

Today, Taiwan is more caring for the environment. For example, in the picture above you can see wooden stools and chairs. These days, people don’t waste wood on making furniture. Red plastic stools and chairs would be more realistic of the progress that is Taiwan, and the world today.

Living in Taiwan is like eating an oversized turd shaped fried dumpling. Poke it gently, to let some ambience flow. Poke it sharply, and your digits shall be scalded.
Don’t swallow the whole thing in one go, be sure to add sauce, and other condiments, of your own making.
Might I suggest a little ginger?

It looks pretty realistic to me. If his rooftop hits 40C in Summer you know it’s the real thing.

The female lead looks and dresses just like a friend of mine. Never seen anyone dressed like Jay Chou in this movie, though.