What's the worst job you've ever had in Taiwan?

I wanna know some of you people’s worst job experiences here.

I’d say my stint as the Obi Swiss Apple Juice spokesmodel – eight hours a day on my feet, wearing a silly white dress and a beauty-queen banner, handing out apple juice samples and telling people how wonderful and natural the product was. This was back a few years when Asiaworld was just opened and people didn’t take samples for the most part, which made it tough. I remember looking at the plastic-wrapped apples in the produce department that sold for like NT$150 each. I think they were from Japan or something.

Second place would be pianist for a jazz band – the job itself wasn’t bad, but having our gig cut off by four machine-gun toting police was. Or something like that. It’s all so vague these days.

Shucks, I just can’t find my niche!! :astonished:
Terry

My girlfriend started work at a Nursing Home today. Pretty cushy gig but a bit boring. Anyway, today the grandpa’s were playing an intense of checkers, and after a serious of controversial moves by one of the wheelchair bound veterans, arguments began and the next thing you know, one of old timers has got an electrical cord wrapped around his neck. :astonished: :bluemad: My gf and the Phillipino worker were fighting a losing battle there at one stage, but eventually got the cord off before sending the naughty grandpa to the back of the lounge room to think about what he’d just done. Suppose her job isn’t the worst gig in the world, but it made for an interesting story.

Hmmm…I’d have to say slaying pigs who were infected with Foot-and-mouth Disease. I’ve never smelled anything worse.

Ironlady – Your apple spokesmodel stint takes the cake. All of the postings are great, though.

How and why the hell were you killing pigs, Paoguo?

I mopped floors in a bushiban once.

My first job in Taiwan was at a place in Gaoxiong called Little Forest Kindergarten. I was hired to write a textbook, but was expected to teach as well. I was totally clueless. The worst part was the owner used to come in the class and yell at me in front of all the kids.

My husband had a job here once delivering urine samples. He’d go to schools where the kids had donated their urine and take the samples to a hospital that was commisioned to check them for something. Some kind of worms or something, I guess. He says he remembers having to do that when he was a kid in school.

Then back at the hospital, he just poured the urine down the sink and false reports were printed up and mailed to the schools! :astonished: Of course, the parents paid for these tests. Gotta love Taiwan!

My own worst job here was at Green Mountain in Koahsiung. They weren’t paying me. When I told them that I wouldn’t work for nothing they stopped giving me classes and threatened to tell the police that I was there working illegally. I had to go to the police myself. Never did get paid, but at least got free of them. Later I found out that they did that regularly to avoid teacher hiering precdures and expences.

Anyway, Richardm, when I walked into the police station with a problem with an English school, the first thing the cop said was, “Little Forest?” They’re infamous.

[quote=“housecat”]My husband had a job here once delivering urine samples. He’d go to schools where the kids had donated their urine and take the samples to a hospital that was commisioned to check them for something. Some kind of worms or something, I guess. He says he remembers having to do that when he was a kid in school.

Then back at the hospital, he just poured the urine down the sink and false reports were printed up and mailed to the schools! :astonished: Of course, the parents paid for these tests. Gotta love Taiwan![/quote]

uhh. is this a major hospital in Taiwan???

[quote=“Jack Burton”][quote=“housecat”]My husband had a job here once delivering urine samples. He’d go to schools where the kids had donated their urine and take the samples to a hospital that was commisioned to check them for something. Some kind of worms or something, I guess. He says he remembers having to do that when he was a kid in school.

Then back at the hospital, he just poured the urine down the sink and false reports were printed up and mailed to the schools! :astonished: Of course, the parents paid for these tests. Gotta love Taiwan![/quote]

uhh. is this a major hospital in Taiwan???[/quote]

A Christian hospital, though I don’t remember the name. A modern one. My husband said the lab contracted seperate from the hospital, but I don’t know who was really contracted.

Oh my goodness, you worked for the [color=red]
nutters
[/color]! I know a guy who had to break up a knife fight between the husband/wife combo. That place proves that there is a Hell. LF has the worst reputation in Kaohsiung!

Working at a magazine called this month in Taiwan. An exercise in futility, lessons in the workings of cronyism, “how to get ripped off, while trying your best”, and the opportunity for absolutley shameless PR in the guise of reporting.

6 months later and the bile is still bubbling. I no longer need binlong to spit red saliva on the back of a white dog.

Chou

[quote=“chodofu”]Working at a magazine called this month in Taiwan. An exercise in futility, lessons in the workings of cronyism, “how to get ripped off, while trying your best”, and the opportunity for absolutley shameless PR in the guise of reporting.

6 months later and the bile is still bubbling. I no longer need binlong to spit red saliva on the back of a white dog.

Chou[/quote]

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Be glad it wasn’t the GIO.

[quote=“Flicka”][quote=“chodofu”]Working at a magazine called this month in Taiwan. An exercise in futility, lessons in the workings of cronyism, “how to get ripped off, while trying your best”, and the opportunity for absolutley shameless PR in the guise of reporting.

Chou[/quote]

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Be glad it wasn’t the GIO.[/quote]

The GIO would not be nearly as underhanded in cheating you out of your ahrd earned cash…though from what I hear, its darn close.