What's the worst that can happen if you stop reading Taiwan news? (for weeks, months, or even years)

what’s the worst that can happen if you stop reading Taiwan news? (for weeks, months, or even years)

this includes small news about mailman bitten by dogs on the streets of Taipei to major news like a regime change(peaceful or otherwise)…

I started thinking about this because I have not read a single piece of news about Taiwan for the last 7 or 8 weeks. I had a lot on my plate during that time, so I paid zero attention to news from Taiwan… in a strange way, I forgot that Taiwan even existed :astonished: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: — but Taiwan seems to have carried on just fine… :smiley:

What will happen if I stopped reading Taiwan news for 7 or 8 years? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

You haven’t stated where you live.

If you live in North America, Europe, Africa, or some other locality distant from Taiwan, that is one situation.

If you live in Taiwan proper, or the Pescadores, that is another situation.

In summary, I don’t understand your situation . . . . . . .

Taiwan is like Santa Claus. It will disappear if enough people stop believing in it. And people won’t get any plastic tat for Christmas.

Don’t do that! You won’t know about a new noodle shop in Yunlin County! In other words, the world will end!

u become like me and haunt the halls of forumosa and youtube and (yuck) the China Post and Taipei Times online versions to get taiwan news.

Went to an apt once inhabited by students from TAiwan. And they had cable showing TVBS nonstop. I guess to remind them of home.

I should get that channel but my two taiwanese cats have passed away now. And actually even back in Taiwan they preferred to watch BBC rather then TVBS. So no point as i rarely watch tv.

I would get fired, for starters.

You IQ will increase by a factor of 100.

Ain’t that the truth. I wouldn’t use that rag on the bottom of bird cages to soak the shart stains. Would be afraid the birds would read it and transform into amoebas with no brain.

Taiwan News is a crappy paper. One would be better off not wasting one’s money on that rag.

Um, he said Taiwan news, not “Taiwan News”.

They’re all crap, but China Post is the bird cage liner par extraordinaire.

I’d use Taiwan News to wrap the bird cage, and Taipei Times as material for shredding and stuffing the nest inside the cage.

I left for 6 years. Now that I’ve come back, I’ve found it’s the same shit with the same people. Absolutely nothing has changed in the slightest.

It is ,i have to admit very lacking in er… whats the word?..news… of any importance :ponder: I have even stopped watching the rare times I appear on TV now :frowning: . Maybe my vanity is waning as i age :discodance:
I have to ,reluctantly,admit i watch CNN for updates,which is the most stupid self-promoting tripe imaginable :cry: but thinly disguised as “news”

[quote=“FurTrader”]what’s the worst that can happen if you stop reading Taiwan news? (for weeks, months, or even years)

this includes small news about mailman bitten by dogs on the streets of Taipei to major news like a regime change(peaceful or otherwise)…

I started thinking about this because I have not read a single piece of news about Taiwan for the last 7 or 8 weeks. I had a lot on my plate during that time, so I paid zero attention to news from Taiwan… in a strange way, I forgot that Taiwan even existed :astonished: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: — but Taiwan seems to have carried on just fine… :smiley:

What will happen if I stopped reading Taiwan news for 7 or 8 years? :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:[/quote]

I have lived here over a decade and when I first arrived I read all three papers everyday, now I am going on 5 years quitting all Taiwan news cold turkey. I am a better man for it, no need to cloud my thoughts with the nonsense that passes for news in this country. Its always the same festering pile of nonsense and nothing ever changes. If something is truly of note one of the jackasses (and I mean that lovingly) around here won’t be able to help themselves from starting a thread.

If we’re talking about the audience on Forumosa, I think that “reading the news” means almost exclusively “reading the Taipei Times.” So I guess the question is: “What’s the worst that can happen if you stop reading the Taipei Times?”

I stopped reading it a few years ago (OK, I do still occasionally sneak a peak, but not often). What happens when you stop is that you no longer go around depressed, contstantly thinking that Ma Yin-jeou is a worse dictator than Hitler and Stalin combined, and that Taiwan’s economy has collapsed, people are starving, it’s worse than Zimbabwe or Bangladesh, etc. In other words, Taiwan becomes the sort of place you experience every day, reasonably safe, prosperous and peaceful, though not perfect.

Don’t read the Taipei Times and you can actually enjoy living here, bllissfully ignorant of the fact that this is the worst place in the world. I recommend that everybody try it.

I still read the papers, and much of Michael Cole’s writing on military matters across the Strait is excellent, but I supplement with reports from Commonwealth, AMCHAM, academic papers, and the tons of great links Michael Turton provides on his blog.

Some of the government publications such as Taiwan Review used to be okay, but they have sadly become mere propaganda tools under the Ma government. Before they were a little slanted, but now they are ridiculous and completely untrustworthy.