What's "to unlock a phone" called in Chinese?

I need to unlock my phone here in Kaohsiung, but I don’t know if they’ll speak English when I get there, so what’s it called to unlock a phone here?

Is that the same as “rooting” or “jailbreaking” a phone? If so, youtube has a ton of videos on how to do it.

if you really don’t want to do it yourself, the term is 刷機 Shua1 Ji1

If you’re planning on bringing a US carrier-subsidized phone to unlock here, it almost certainly won’t work.

Is that the same as “rooting” or “jailbreaking” a phone? If so, youtube has a ton of videos on how to do it.[/quote]
Nono, what I mean is the SIM-card. I should probably have said that!

Why wouldn’t it work, you mean?

And also, someone said you might need to be 20 years old to get a phone subscription here. Is that true? I’m only 19 and I don’t have any parents here to do it for me.

Well, I haven’t used a US telecom company (read: spawn of Satan) in over five years, but as I recall, the unlocking mechanism is accessible only to each respective carrier. Only AT&T can let your AT&T phone free, etc.

Taiwan phones are (almost?) all unlocked even when you buy through a telecom company, so they may not even really know how to unlock it.

I don’t know about the 20-year-old thing, but foreigners are required to have to forms of photo ID, and I think one of them must be a passport. But I’m not sure.

if your phone is Sprint or Verizon or other CDMA phones, then it won’t work in Taiwan (it might work with 亞太, but I have not tried it).

if your phone is a GSM phone with the phone tied to T-mobile/AT&T sim card then it might work after unlocking. In case of unlocking, the term is 解碼 Jie3 Ma3.

if it isn’t locked to a carrier, then it’s fine.

Alright, thanks everyone! My phone is a Samsung and I’ve found a Samsung store here in Kaohsiung so I’ll probably go there and see if they can do anything about it. Second worst case scenario is that I need to buy a new one. Worst case scenario is that I need to be 20 years old to buy a new phone (with a plan).

解鎖手機 jie3 suo3 shou3 ji1

If it’s a Samsung, I’m sure you can find how to unlock it by yourself. Just google it.

Alright, thanks everyone! You’ve been really helpful!