What's up with all the white smoke today? [Taipei]

Still haven’t seen the sun out in Danshui, New Taipei. The white fog of morning is distinctly grayer now. Limited visibility all day.

Yep. In a blast with such a sonic boom we will hear it in Taipei…

Poor nearby people. I just thought about the possibility of a tsunami with that kind of blast. Imagine if you had survived the Christmas tsunami and now had this sword hanging over you.

Serious haze and smell of smoke here in Shipai, has to be from the factory fire. The TN helpfully tells that one of the main components of the fire was “foam”. I suspect this wasn’t bubble tea foam and probably a nice chunk of dioxins was produced.

The air is definitely gas shit and my eyes are itchy after a couple of short rides.

They’re killing us.

The authorities recommend that all residents stay indoors for the next 12 hours and avoid breathing if possible.

3 Likes

This fire was a third of the size of the Federal Tire factory fire in January. And that fire was yesterday at 1:30 in the morning. It was put out like 40 hours ago. No way that little fire would affect this much air!

And if it was that fire, since I’m close to Yangmei where it was, we would have felt its effects yesterday. We’ve been in the fog since this morning, and there is no smell of smoke.

As I mentioned, we could see the thick haze over the sea yesterday. Best bet is this haze drifted over from our neighbors on the other side of the strait.

2 Likes

Hazy looking at 101 and the sky generally just funky looking. Yesterday at this same time still kind of bright outside.

All of that would be highly dependent on weather patterns, and the ability of the Taipei basin to hold air is well known. We’ve seen China related haze for years, but this was unique from my perspective both because of its thickness and the smoky odor.

Now my eyes are starting to sting. I hope it’s psychosomatic…

But that fire has been out for around 40 hours. We would have felt the effects yesterday. There’s pics of this smog in Kaohsiung!

Also, I don’t see any mention of the fire in the news when they are talking about today’s air quality.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say this has absolutely 100% nothing to do with a factory fire in Taoyuan yesterday morning a 1 in the morning.

1 Like

The poor air quality is all over the news today, but nothing about the cause other than “poor dispersion conditions.”
https://udn.com/news/story/7323/2846610

I’ll bet you 5 posts you’re wrong!

I’ll have to conduct some upper atmospheric tests later, and pore over the latest weather information. But today seemed unique to me, the fire is the obvious suspect, and anyone who lives in Taipei knows that disgusting air hanging around for days is nothing unusual.

To be fair it’s rare that the air is this bad in the north.

I too don’t think the fire has anything to do with it. The fire wasn’t even that bad but the pollution is pretty large scale.

1 Like

At least it’s kind of pretty.

3 Likes

Oh wow​:joy::joy::joy:

We have a pope!

No. It’s called “front range fog” or more commonly, smog.

The Guandu Bridge this afternoon:

1 Like

It’s dirt moving in from China

Fog and smog are symptoms of the same weather condition, warm air on top of cold air.
It’s probably both fog and smog.

2 Likes