What's with All the Bomb Threats Lately?

I’m not surprised by this either. In Western countries boys interested in CS or EE are nerds and therefore gay, and sometimes bullied. In Eastern countries this type of culture doesn’t exist.

1 Like

Welcome (belatedly) to the flob :laughing:

2 Likes

Please, tell me about how liberal the people in your village are.

The issue here in Taiwan with this matter is that NTU graduates are supposed to be the leaders of the nation, “destined” to rule. The general comments from public and media argue that they say these “jokes” now, hence, what are they going to do when they are in power.

1 Like

Exactly. One would not expect something like this to happen in the most liberal city of a supposedly “liberal country”.

True. Korea, Japan, and Italy are definitely even more conservative than Taiwan.

For the people saying Taiwan is liberal, I wonder what they’re comparing it to. Korea? Idaho? Southern USA?

Speaking of the South, I find southern Taiwan culturally very similar to the US South, and just as conservative (maybe not as “in your face”, but still…)

I reckon TW less liberal than like the “usual liberal” states in the US, but still way more liberal than the south. Less liberal than like the Netherlands or the Scandinavian countries, but leagues ahead of Italy, Greece, Czechia, Slovakia, Poland. At par with France tbh or Spain (kinda, Spain is a weird one).

2 Likes

It wouldn’t surprise me from any country. There are assholes and idiots of all kinds in every country. Another thing is the density of them.

Why don’t you come visit and find out?

1 Like

Where do you see these comments? All I see is people demanding them to be expelled.

So you just conveniently ignored all the examples I posted?

Liberal in Asia is really not a very high bar at all. Asia is just conservative. In India people are so conservative they make Proud Boys/KKK types look communist in comparison.

1 Like

that is very true, but as all things we need to contextualise.

TW for Asia is liberal. If TW were in Europe or American would be even more liberal. Context does affect things.

1 Like

I can’t speak for the examples you posted that happened in the other places because I haven’t been there, but something like this happening in Madison, Wisconsin is not very surprising.

It’s a little complicated to get to, but it is on my list. If I do make it out there some time I’ll expect gender-neutral restrooms and gluten-free vegan restaurants.

holy moly man… u lost the plot here.

1 Like

It’s University of Wisconsin Madison, not Madison, Wisconsin. UW Madison is pretty liberal.

Hard to get to? There is public transportation where the bus stop is 30m from my home.
You might get some vegan food not sure about gluten free. In a village of only 600 people you won’t get a lot of choices. As you might know, people here like to eat meat.

In my wife’s guest house you can use whatever restroom you like. Same in the cultural center and public restrooms.

Really? Which bus number is it, and where does it leave from?

This is all the info I got from one of your previous posts:

I thought you maybe have been driving.

Bus leaves from the Chiayi Train station. 嘉義縣阿里山鄉達邦村

I will ask what the bus number is. However if not that bus get the bus to 石桌(石棹)
Any bus that goes to the National Park stops there so they have more run times the one direct to my village no so frequent.

1 Like