What's With All the Suicides on the News?

It happens all over the world but I see it so often here in the news that it depresses me. The other week it was the family of five in which the father jumped into the river followed by the mother and the 2 kids, leaving one son alone. Today, it was a man ending it all with his two kids because he suspected that his Vietnamese wife was having an affair. Does Taiwan have a high suicide rate? Maybe the media over-reports this stuff but I don’t see it as often in the States. It’s just sad, especially during the holiday season.

i dont think media outlets in other countries advertise em as much…but they do get good ratings so…

hard to say, i always thought TW was about avg w/ other countries…

Yes, Taiwan does have a high suicide rate. They are working on it. Actually in today’s paper was a story about a group of people using the internet to intervine in a girl’s sucide attempt in Kaoshiung.

Netizens thwart attempted Kaohsiung suicide

What bugs me is that the media reports those cases as suicides. Surely they’re murder-suicides? :loco:

[color=blue]A-one two three four one
Yeah[/color]

[color=blue]Okay
Don’t do it don’t you try it baby
Don’t do that
Don’t don’t don’t
Don’t do that
You got a good thing going now
Don’t do it don’t do it
Don’t[/color]

[color=red]Don’t try suicide
Nobody’s worth it
Don’t try suicide
Nobody cares
Don’t try suicide
You’re just gonna hate it
Don’t try suicide
Nobody gives a damn[/color]

[color=cyan]So you think it’s the easy way out?
Think you’re gonna slash your wrists
This time
Baby when you do it all you do is
Get on my tits
Don’t do that try try try baby
Don’t do that —you got a good thing going now
Don’t do it don’t do it
Don’t[/color]

[color=red]Don’t try suicide
Nobody’s worth it
Don’t try suicide
Nobody cares
Don’t try suicide
Don’t try suicide

[color=darkblue]You need help
Look at yourself you need help (yeah, yeah)
You need life
So don’t hang yourself
It’s okay, okay, okay, okay
You just can’t be a prick teaser all of the time
A little bit attention—you got it
Need some affection—you got it
Suicide suicide suicide bid
Suicide suicide suicide bid
Suicide[/color]

Don’t do it don’t do it don’t do it babe (yeah)
Don’t do it don’t do it don’t—do it
Hey!
Hey, yeah!

[color=violet]Don’t put your neck on the line
Don’t drown on me babe
Blow your brains out -
Don’t do that (yeah)
Don’t do that—you got a good thing going baby
Don’t do it (no) don’t do it (no) don’t
Don’t try suicide
Nobody’s worth it
Don’t try suicide
Nobody cares
Don’t try suicide
Don’t try suicide
Nobody gives
Nobody gives
Okay

[color=indigo]Written By the late great Freddy Mercury… who didn’t commit suicide![/color]

The “paper” Taipei times often reports on the governement trying to lower the suicide stats. The often say(or blame-how ever you want to see it) that the media coverage fuels the suicide epidemic here.

Those kids are murder victims and should be described as such.

I firmly agree with that view and believe that education is needed. When talking about this topic with my Taiwanese colleagues (I work in the media) I have received the impression that they have simply never thought of it that way.

At the same time, my Taiwanese wife is just as disgusted as Paogao and Maoman. She thinks the parents are murdering their own children for their own selfish reasons. Not sure where the difference comes from.

Sad news, it is not far from where I stay in KHH. I though in general Americans here are more upbeat, but I guess depression can get to everyone.

1 Like

If I were one of those kids, I simply wouldn’t have jumped. But that’s me.

The expression “digging your own grave” originated as a very literal thing. The executioners would order the condemned to dig his own grave and… he’d do it. I have no idea why. It’s hard to see what he hoped to gain by cooperating.

Perhaps it’s a glitch in human nature. Eventually Darwin will sort it out.

To my way of thinking, it’s not murder unless someone actually kills you. Cooperating with evil is a particularly stupid form of suicide.

Does 12 years count as gravedigging?

Is murder extroverted suicide?

Why would anyone dig their own grave?

These are important questions, if one happens to be a cunt.

21-year-old female student potential suicide at Taipei’s Longshan Temple bathroom

1 Like

WTF. Crazy article. Did “communicating with the spirit world” drive her to do this?

I know I’m getting off topic here, but I’m more concerned about the seemingly higher cases of ghost sightings and hauntings in Taiwan than the suicide rates.

3 Likes

That’s a pretty fucked up note to leave. And place to do it. There’s probably going to be some cleansing rituals there. RIP to the girl.

4 Likes

The problem is the news, not the suicides. Taiwan has a pretty average suicide rate of about 12; roughly comparable to the U.S., slightly higher than Canada, slightly lower than Sweden- half of South Korea.

5 Likes

Yep. War raging around the world, disastrous climate change, rampant extinctions and pollution, and all Taiwan news is concerned about is “The wind blew a scooter over in Tainan!” or “Uncle Wang grew a yam the size of his head!”

4 Likes

There isn’t a single day where my mother doesn’t watch the news in Taiwan in disbelief and curse all the smart Taiwanese people for moving to China, leaving behind all the (and I quote) “idiots” here to watch the idiotic news.

And then she goes on these rants about how much more of an “advanced civilization” Taiwan was when she was a kid back in the good ol’ KMT days :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

In a way though it’s kinda nice how an island can just isolate itself from the worlds bad news. In their minds they are not connected with the outside world. Outta sight outta mind.

2 Likes

Very true. I stopped watching the news in mid 2020, moved to Taiwan the following year, and have been at peace ever since.

3 Likes

pertinent news of course

2 Likes