What's with Chinese guys wanting to hug pandas?

This is the 4th or 5th story I’ve read about some idiot wanting to hug a panda by scaling the fence in a zoo and going up to a WILD panda while the animal was sleeping or eating.

Naturally, the guy gets bitten.

Are they idiots? Why do they want to hug pandas so much? I mean, are they IDIOTS? I mean, it’s not like these guys were drunk or high - they were stone cold sober - meaning they are either crazy or they are really IDIOTS.

If they really want a hug, buy a frickin stuffed animal, or have a friend dress up in a panda suit.

A voice of reason from the zoo official:

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081122/ap_ … l0_DMPLBIF

Yes. Next question?

Bloody students. In my day it was hug a policeman!!

I feel sorry for the panda,makes me want to give it a hug…ah right, theres the problem

At least now they’re getting bitten, not shot.

The panda or the idiot?

I’m all in favor of shooting the idiot. One less moron that could breed

:doh: The idiot.

Hug a policeman, get shot.
Hug a panda, get bitten.

Oh, never mind!

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Hug a policeman, get shot.
Hug a panda, get bitten. [/quote]
Maybe it depends on the panda. And isn’t it the panda that eats, shoots, and leaves? :wink:

Copy-cats? Someone sees someone else do something really stupid, and thinks, “Wow, that sounds like a great idea!”

Yes, they are idiots.

:laughing: You’re right cranky, it’s not black and white.

Up to about 1990-ish, Giant pandas were though to be raccoons. They acted and ate more like raccoons than bears, thanks to DNA decoding they have have been reclassified as bears, so for once it is correct to call them “panda bears”
The red panda, however, is a raccoon.

Remember, this guy has as much right to be called a panda as the black and white guys:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Up to about 1990-ish, Giant pandas were though to be raccoons. They acted and ate more like raccoons than bears, thanks to DNA decoding they have have been reclassified as bears, so for once it is correct to call them “panda bears”
The red panda, however, is a raccoon.

Remember, this guy has as much right to be called a panda as the black and white guys:
[/quote]

Don't know if I'd hug him but he'd make a fine looking hat.

Ah’m wantin’ wan ay thir beasties fur ma SPORRAN.

Careful! Otters may not be amused by your posts.

It’s simple, really: most Taiwanese/Chinese are overly urbanized city slickers with virtually no experience with wild animals - with animals, period. (I don’t consider those yapping toy dogs tai-tais carry around in their purses to be animals, I consider them to be vermin.) They are extremely naive, “Oh, tiger! What big kitty-kat! Hao ke-ai! Me want hug…”

I love those little pandas…lesser pandas?
Whenever I go to the zoo, that’s the first cage I head for.
They’re really afurrable, and I sure wouldn’t mind hugging a few of them.

and the farmers would probably want to eat them “Oh, tiger! What a nice looking penis. Me want eat. Make me virile.”