What's with the f**king garbage trucks?

SERIOUSLY! on a normal day they come like four times (HORNS BLAZING) 4pm, 5pm, 7pm, 9pm. TODAY I was WOKEN UP by them coming at 7:$%AM!!!

:fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume:
\

NOW its 10:30 AND THEY ARE STILL GOING!!!

There is simply no way or place to hide from the F**KERS.
THE SOUND PENETRATES EVERYTHING

You will regret your hasty judgement, come early next week, when they won’t come at all.

It is Chinese New Year. They don’t come during CNY…have you noticed how people are cleaning their houses? That crap has to find its way to the dump right? My poor truck was an hour late last night because it was so overloaded they had to go and empty it first. The lady didn’t even manage a smile.

They come by your house in the morning? Where I live they do come by a couple times a day, but only in the evening.

usually they only come in the evening but EVERY evening

they are here again, 11:45am

And I’m not insane - i know garbage has to be collected. It’s the NOISE. Why can’t they just have a bloody schedule and stick to it? That’s what every other country does AFAIK. The noise is terrible.

They come more often the day before new years eve… because they will not come for a week after that.

Yes, those friggin trucks are just driving in circles around my apartment blaring their damn music. Even worse, the public announcement speaker is pointed right at me, and they’ve been spouting nonsense from it all day long :aiyo:

They handed out a big pink piece of paper with their Pre- and post-CNY times last week.

I wish I knew where I’d put it.

Yeah the public announcement speakers are worse than the garbage trucks.

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]They handed out a big pink piece of paper with their Pre- and post-CNY times last week.

I wish I knew where I’d put it.[/quote]

Ahhhhh! I found it! Let’s see. mmmmmmm. Every am at 6 am and every after 1/2 hour until 12 pm. Yippers. That’s it.

wow! that’s gonna drive me crazy!

I threw some rubbish out though - and the bins are nearly full already.
I just got a ‘big breakfast’ from McD’s - the trash that came with that is criminal!

I agree, the garbage truck music is ridiculous! At least it’s not half as annoying as teenage boys (and men who haven’t grown up) with their suped-up scooters whose exhausts make more noise than a jumbo jet taking off.

I just moved to Kaohsiung, and there are some garbage trucks which play the music, but most of them just drive by silently, sticking to a schedule.

[quote=“shawn_c”]I agree, the garbage truck music is ridiculous! At least it’s not half as annoying as teenage boys (and men who haven’t grown up) with their suped-up scooters whose exhausts make more noise than a jumbo jet taking off.

I just moved to Kaohsiung, and there are some garbage trucks which play the music, but most of them just drive by silently, sticking to a schedule.[/quote]

They used to play English lessons, you know?

Just wondering what people are doing with their garbage when the truck doesn’t come by for a week ?

Well in our building it seems like the building security guys are making a pile of garbage bags beside the garbage cans, so at least the garbage cans have room (to be filled with my neighbours’ plastic and paper, as usual). And as for the recycling side - it’s ugly. You can’t even get to the paper or plastic bins for the mountain of stuff (mostly styrofoam?) piled up around them. Glass and metal bins were still accessible last night. We’re washing out our plastic and paper a bit more cleanly than usual and keeping it on the balcony for the week.

I think a lot of people left the traditional CNY cleaning for the weekend of the holiday - after the garbage trucks had done their thing. I’m a bit scared of what it’s going to look like by the time the recycling trucks come around again.

Well in our building it seems like the building security guys are making a pile of garbage bags beside the garbage cans, so at least the garbage cans have room (to be filled with my neighbours’ plastic and paper, as usual). And as for the recycling side - it’s ugly. You can’t even get to the paper or plastic bins for the mountain of stuff (mostly styrofoam?) piled up around them. Glass and metal bins were still accessible last night. We’re washing out our plastic and paper a bit more cleanly than usual and keeping it on the balcony for the week.

I think a lot of people left the traditional CNY cleaning for the weekend of the holiday - after the garbage trucks had done their thing. I’m a bit scared of what it’s going to look like by the time the recycling trucks come around again.[/quote]

In my building they lock the garbage room for the 3 days (or however long there’s no pickup) so everyone has to keep the garbage at home. We just stuck ours on the balcony in a sealed bag, no big deal.

Yeah, I wish they’d do something like that here: our in-laws are visiting and that growing garbage pile by the gate is embarrassing. Our garbage “room” is actually an extended line of bins outside - under an awning - so there’s no door to lock.

They’ve repeatedly posted signs over the years asking people to divide garbage from recyclables from decomposables, but it doesn’t seem to do much good - again and again I keep opening the recycling bins and finding full garbage bags within. As usual, like everywhere else in the world, I guess it’s just a couple of jerks spoiling it for everyone else. Too bad - they’ve got it set up quite well, with even a box for dead light bulbs and a small container for dead batteries.

Nonsense, maybe but I don’t think so. Are you new here? After you’ve been here a while, you learn to ask what they are talking about or ask if there had been any announcements if you have been out. These announcements come form a person called a district warden. In my area, they announced the time of last garbage pick up and the times of three special garbage pickups that will occur during the new year holiday.

Other important things that they these loudspeakers will tell you about are dates and times your local utilities will be cut off for upgrade or repair, places and times to pick up emergency water or other supplies, how to apply for compensation due to storm damage and many other useful things.
When I first came here, many people were illiterate. The older generation still are. They rely on or prefer things to be said to them orally.

As for the garbage truck music, that is a great thing. I teach out of my home. I can’t leave my students hanging while I wait for the garbage truck to come. The same goes for any homemaker, small business owner etc. When you hear the truck coming, you know exactly how long you have before the truck gets to your house so you may excuse yourself, drop the load into the truck and come back without missing a beat.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“shawn_c”]I agree, the garbage truck music is ridiculous! At least it’s not half as annoying as teenage boys (and men who haven’t grown up) with their suped-up scooters whose exhausts make more noise than a jumbo jet taking off.

I just moved to Kaohsiung, and there are some garbage trucks which play the music, but most of them just drive by silently, sticking to a schedule.[/quote]

They used to play English lessons, you know?[/quote]

I wish they’d play Japanese lessons… I already know English!