What's with the multi-lingua campaign signs?

I live in rural Pingtung County. I’ve notice some Political Candidate signs printed in four languages. Chinese (of course!) Vietnamese some other language using Latin letters and English. Do we permanent foreigners get some recognition? They’ve also tried explaining their point so me personally when I stumble on them canvasing.

Do they think the wives will listen to their foreign husbands?

sadly, I can’t find any pictures online…

This is just a guess, but maybe it’s to appeal to men (or… women… if there are any) who have spouses from SE Asian countries – there are a ton of these couples in Pingtung. It shows that the candidate cares about the “new immigrant” community, whether or not they can vote. Actually, a lot of Vietnamese and Thai women who marry to Taiwan do give up their birth citizenship to immigrate. If they become ROC citizens, they get voting rights, so maybe it’s just an overture to them?

I cannot figure out how to post images to this website :frowning: I tried a few times in the past but get distorted images. Can you suggest an easy to use host that allows you to use anonymous names? Give me a quick idiots guide and you’ll get your pictures by tomorrow night. It’s bad english, but it is in English. :bow:

It might be Taiwanese Minnan written with [wikipedia]Pe̍h-ōe-jī[/wikipedia]. If it has a lot hyphens that’s probably it.

It might be Taiwanese Minnan written with [wikipedia]Pe̍h-ōe-jī[/wikipedia]. If it has a lot hyphens that’s probably it.[/quote]
I was thinking if Vietnamese is there, the other one must be either Indonesian or Tagalog.

Rural Pingdong…
Notice people look a little different over there?
As the majority of indigenous in Pingdong are Paiwan tribe, my guess is that it’s Paiwanese. I have no idea why it would be either Indonesian or Tagalog.

I cannot figure out how to post images to this website :frowning: I tried a few times in the past but get distorted images. Can you suggest an easy to use host that allows you to use anonymous names? Give me a quick idiots guide and you’ll get your pictures by tomorrow night. It’s bad english, but it is in English. :bow:[/quote]

Flickr works OK, especially with cellphone pics. Imgur blows pics a big too big. Stopped using Photobucket as it would freeze/stall/mobile service sucks.

Or Vietnamese. But it’s there, apparently.

It might be Taiwanese Minnan written with [wikipedia]Pe̍h-ōe-jī[/wikipedia]. If it has a lot hyphens that’s probably it.[/quote]
I was thinking if Vietnamese is there, the other one must be either Indonesian or Tagalog.[/quote]

This to me seems way more likely than romanization of Taiwanese or an aboriginal language

OP there are tons of websites that allow you to upload an image, have you tried Tinypic, Imgur, Imageshack, Photobucket etc? I would like to see this image so please do share!!

I usually just upload pictures via google plus, and right click to get the final image URL. Google doesn’t seem to let image links die like other services.

I used Tinypic for my avatar and the pic in my signature. No need to register. After you upload you get a direct link to the picture, which you then paste into your post using the [img] tag. For example, the “code” to embed the pic in my signature is:

[img]http://i58.tinypic.com/t9uuzl.png[/img]