What's with the price of fresh veg and fruits?

Do you just mean white mushrooms?

I’ve never seen cremini here, or at least not by a name I know. Dried porcini occasionally - City Super and/or Carrefour. Portobello / portabella sometimes appear - I think a local producer put tons on the market about a year ago, but I haven’t noticed them lately.

To my taste the huge king oyster mushrooms, or shiitake, work fine in pasta recipes. I mostly buy the king oyster mushrooms because they’re pretty flexible, they seem to last a little longer in the fridge, and they keep more bulk after cooking.

1 Like

I usually find white mushrooms at most supermarkets but they are expensive too and don’t last long. Oyster mushroom is pretty expensive too but are flexible.

When the price of vegetables goes up due to flooding it often becomes cheaper to eat out than cook yourself, as the restaurants can’t adjust their prices every week to match the price of veg.

Last week it was pretty bad. Not just price, but quality too.

1 Like

Drought followed by flood. Not good for farming.

Even just icy will fuck up a cuke and a bitter melon though, ts about cells, and those 2 are not ok to freeze…unless its for some other purpose where turgor and generaly crunch are no longer an interest. Perhaps more likely a logistics muck.up.

Are you guys talking about these?

They are usually imported. But canned and the like are common everywhere as they are probably the cheapest mushroom commercially available globally.

Oyster should be cheap as chips. 50nt per kg. Pink, Yellow, Blue and the regular whites. Mass production south of taichung! The only time they spuke is when logging gets hit, which for those species is mostly due to raw log expirt issues to china and vietnam. Otherwise they have full on production year round dirtcheap.

Loads of mushroom types are produced here as well, not just shitakii. Many super cheap. Probably the main hubs are central taiwan (chughua, Taichung, yulin, natou) and pingdong. So far i havent seen a spike in prices personally for taiwan grown fungi.

The difference is most restaraunts also use imported foods regardless of story lines and fake labels :wink: just saying. You dont get 30 dollar fried rice with 100% taiwan ingredients, the prices simply dont match. Its fine if people want cheap, but everyone should be transparent about what it is they are eating…

That was actually funny.
:cowboy_hat_face:

That’s what many Taiwanese restaurants do, use oil for deep frying and when broken re-use it for cooking fried rice and other dishes.