What's your favorite IM application and why?

What is your Favorite IM App?

• MSN (Microsoft Messager)
  • AIM (Aol Instant Messager)
  • Trillian
  • Odigo
  • PowWow
  • PAL

0 voters

What is your favorite Instant Messager Application? What features that entice you?

Share it here…

I use to love ICQ, but lately I almost turn everything to Yahoo!messenger. Lot’s of feature to be accountable for…
easy connection, stable file transfer, good integration with other Yahoo!thingy… Voice and Cam ready…customizable status line and many more…

regards

ax

I’d have to say ICQ because I feel it has the most features and because I’ve been using it now for about seven years.

I have tried a lot other ones, AIM, Yahoo, MSN and even IRC and telnet chatting (Predated the web and AOL), but I always come back to ICQ mostly because of the history feature. I look back through years of conversations to find information talked about. I don’t think the other ones have a history feature?

Well that is if you can figure out how to move all your history from several older versions of ICQ and consolidate them in one. I am still trying to figure this out after about a year now… sigh… But you’re right the history function is great!

History is THE feature!

Actually, I should have said that I look back over months of conversations because actually I haven’t yet figured out how to transfer over the history details yet. I basically said years to emphasize the capability.

Hmm well when you do try to merge all your histories, I should wish you good luck. If you can figure it out please email me and tell me how. I have even tried to there webpage technical help chat, and still cannot figure it out.

And there are many other features to ICQ, not just the history, but it is one of the best!!

Oh yeah and I believe ICQ was the first instant messaging service to offer free SMS messages! I don’t like there character limit, but hey it’s free!

[quote=“JeffG”]
And there are many other features to ICQ, not just the history, but it is one of the best!![/quote]

I also like the file transfer feature faster than email usually if both people happen to be online. The strange thing is that within in my own network at home, ICQ is routed over my own LAN and not the internet. I can tell because of the speeds. Is that possible?

Yahoo!IM also comes with History feature. However when you first start Yahoo!IMm the History feature is not activated. Go to Tools and select Message Archive, then your history feature is activated. There are setting however on Yahoo that allow you to delete message archive after a set date. You can reset this to none, so your history will always be there.

MSN does not have a History or Archive feature. But you can download MSN Messenger Plus written by Patchou. It logs your MSN messenger in two different way depending on your choice–log by date, or log by each contact list. It also allow you to remove the banner from MSN messenger. Warning: it only works for messenger from version 4.5 to 4.7, don’t use it for version 5.
And don’t download version 5 at all, the word goes, M$ put a lot of spyware in it.

Your ICQ archive thingy…
I used to backup my ICQ history. I never figure out how to combine history db, but I the way I backup my message is to export them into text and keep it some place safe. Perhaps you can try importing the text:) Is there an import feature? I don’t remember…

regards,

ax

[quote=“JeffG”]Hmm well when you do try to merge all your histories, I should wish you good luck. If you can figure it out please email me and tell me how. I have even tried to there webpage technical help chat, and still cannot figure it out.

And there are many other features to ICQ, not just the history, but it is one of the best!![/quote]

Ever heard of IRC, or MIRC? Ever tried to find someone online by telnetting into a place. Hmm the telnet thing was so long ago, I forgot how I used it. Kind of like DCC chat on IRC. Anyway, this all predated commercial operations like ICQ and AOL and are still alive and well. I think AOL might have also predated ICQ too.

Sure have! I use to use telnet all the time, but it’s more difficult to find these days and I don’t chat much. AOL was probably around before ICQ, I’m almost certain of it, but I dislike AOL.

Oh and Ax yeah I did think about that, but I would feel like I had achieved something if I could figure out how to combine all of them together in one. haha!

My current favorite is Trillian because it allows me to look at my entire contact list across protocols, logs all of my messages and has no ads. The downside is that I haven’t been able to figured out how to make my profile stay in place for AIM. The skinning feature is also a definite plus.

For some alternative messenger here you go:
Indiatimes messenger can integrate ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, and let you type in Hindi (devanagari):
messenger.indiatimes.com

Mersal messenger can integrate ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, and let you type in arabic (bidirectional)
arabia.com/mersal/english/

regards,

ax